VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Not sure if this is in the right section, but does anyone know if there is a programme that can identify songs played offline through any windows media player or VLC player etc?. I know there is Shazam and others but these will only search for songs that are online, and the songs I'm trying to find in a TV show I have of on my computer I would need to upload and this wouldn't be possible to do due to copyright, plus it would be an hassle uploading them anyway as there are alot.
    Last edited by techmot; 23rd Apr 2024 at 14:23.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The whole ability to identify songs is based on comparison to a known reference, so they have to have already been online/uploaded (but you wouldn't be able to do that anyway unless you were the rights holder/owner).
    It doesn't actually "analyze" them, it just compares FFT hash signatures or similar (thus the reason you cannot identify someone humming a tune).

You might be surprised that Shazam may still be able to recognize it, as its database is pretty huge now.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    The whole ability to identify songs is based on comparison to a known reference, so they have to have already been online/uploaded (but you wouldn't be able to do that anyway unless you were the rights holder/owner).
    It doesn't actually "analyze" them, it just compares FFT hash signatures or similar (thus the reason you cannot identify someone humming a tune).

You might be surprised that Shazam may still be able to recognize it, as its database is pretty huge now.

Scott
    Thanks for that. Shazam is only available on android I think isn't it?.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    iOS and Android (it is owned by Apple now).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    iOS and Android (it is owned by Apple now).

Scott
    So won't work with Windows
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There *IS* a browser extension...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    There *IS* a browser extension...

Scott
    But it will only work online though
    Quote Quote  
  8. For such a program to work offline, that program would need to download an extremely large database on to your computer. I guess that it's safe to say that such a program does not exist and possibly will never exist.

I know there is Shazam and others but these will only search for songs that are online, and the songs I'm trying to find in a TV show I have of on my computer I would need to upload and this wouldn't be possible to do due to copyright

This is incorrect. Shazam will upload a small sample of the audio and try to find a match. That sample can come from your television, radio, computer game or whatever. You can even sing the song.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jack_666 View Post
    For such a program to work offline, that program would need to download an extremely large database on to your computer. I guess that it's safe to say that such a program does not exist and possibly will never exist.

I know there is Shazam and others but these will only search for songs that are online, and the songs I'm trying to find in a TV show I have of on my computer I would need to upload and this wouldn't be possible to do due to copyright

This is incorrect. Shazam will upload a small sample of the audio and try to find a match. That sample can come from your television, radio, computer game or whatever. You can even sing the song.
    Oh right thanks for that. I know I did try uploading a sample music file using another web based music identifier, I don't think it was Shazam, but when I uploaded it nothing came up in the search it just said "not found". Maybe it's because the song I uploaded was a cover version of a well known song. I do have an extension on Chrome called A-Ha music finder.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jack_666 View Post
    For such a program to work offline, that program would need to download an extremely large database on to your computer. I guess that it's safe to say that such a program does not exist and possibly will never exist.

I added the Shazam extension to Microsoft Edge, but how does it upload a sample of the audio?.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is no Shazam extension for Edge browsers, only Chrome browsers.
    For chrome, when you enable it, it adds access to your sound system & mic. Then when you engage it, it will take a snapshot clip of the music it "hears" and background upload to compare, then give you your results.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Out of curiosity I tried this;
    https://chat.openai.com/
    I typed in
    You
    the theme song for Welcome Back Kotter
    And got back
    ChatGPT
    The theme song for "Welcome Back, Kotter" is called "Welcome Back" and it was performed by John Sebastian. The lyrics begin with "Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out, welcome back to that same old place that you laughed about." It's a catchy tune that captures the nostalgic essence of the show.
    Perhaps if you know a couple of lines of the song(s) you're looking for, then feeding them to ChatGPT might be a way.
    Not knowing how many songs you're talking about, well.....

I tried a few things, such as "topping up a car battery with water". Got an excellent 'HowTo' feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jack_666 View Post

I added Shazam extension to Chrome, but all it does is search for any song playing in a browser or video platform like youtube. Where does it allow you to upload a sample from a your TV, radio, computer, game etc?. When I search for Shazam it does mention it being available for Edge, but I don't use Edge anyway so it doesnt matter, and anything to do with Google I try stay clear of.
    Last edited by techmot; 24th Apr 2024 at 03:56.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You are absolutely correct. For Shazam to work in the chrome extension, the audio has to be playing in the tab. Small problem. I do not use Shazam as a Chrome browser add on, I use the Android app and it works great. Highly recommend using the mobile app and not the browser add on.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Using the regular Google phone app and the microphone button "to search" typically works better on obscure music than Shazam in my experience.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Don't be stupid.Use your brain and Google.
    Read the rules and documentation before asking for support about my extension.
    Quote Quote