VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, forgive me if this isn't the right forum for this, but ultimately, I'm working towards authoring a BDXL disc with an NTSC VHS source that I ran through an AI upscaler that upscaled the resolution by x2 (so currently 1440x960).

After capturing my NTSC VHS in VirtualDub at 720x480, and applying some moderate restoration via Avisynth and an AI model that was designed for restoration, which also happened to upscale the resolution by x2, I'm up to about 76gb for my AVI. I'd like to keep it that way, I'm not interested in lowering the file size. So I'm planning on authoring to a BDXL disc.

With that said, how would the 1440x960 resolution work on a blu-ray when being played in a blu-ray player on a TV? Would I have to do any work on the resolution so that it would display correctly? Would the aspect ratio be completely messed up?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by wubikens View Post
    After capturing my NTSC VHS in VirtualDub at 720x480, and applying some moderate restoration via Avisynth and an AI model that was designed for restoration, which also happened to upscale the resolution by x2, I'm up to about 76gb for my AVI. I'd like to keep it that way, I'm not interested in lowering the file size. So I'm planning on authoring to a BDXL disc.

You should be interested in reducing the filesize , because authored BD disc - playable in a BD player - has restrictions on codecs, bitrates. They can only read from optical disc and transfer into the buffer at a given rate

Read up on what is blu-ray , bitrates, and restrictions in terms of encoding, settings, VBV buffer. There are many threads covering this, and what is compliant. Otherwise it won't author correctly, won't play correctly , will stutter or won't play at all

With that said, how would the 1440x960 resolution work on a blu-ray when being played in a blu-ray player on a TV? Would I have to do any work on the resolution so that it would display correctly? Would the aspect ratio be completely messed up?

Authored Blu-ray also has restrictions on resolutions and frame rates. If it was 23.976p, you would use a 1920x1080 frame . A 4:3 perfect AR source would be pillarboxed . 1440x1080 with 240px left and right. You might have to adjust that a bit depending on if you cropped borders or what the true AR of the image is
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by wubikens View Post

You should be interested in reducing the filesize , because authored BD disc - playable in a BD player - has restrictions on codecs, bitrates. They can only read from optical disc and transfer into the buffer at a given rate

Read up on what is blu-ray , bitrates, and restrictions in terms of encoding, settings, VBV buffer. There are many threads covering this, and what is compliant. Otherwise it won't author correctly, won't play correctly , will stutter or won't play at all

Authored Blu-ray also has restrictions on resolutions and frame rates. If it was 23.976p, you would use a 1920x1080 frame . A 4:3 perfect AR source would be pillarboxed . 1440x1080 with 240px left and right. You might have to adjust that a bit depending on if you cropped borders or what the true AR of the image is
    Ah okay gotcha, yeah I can go ahead and do some independent research then. Appreciate the heads up! I have no idea what I'm doing lol. Yeah it's 23.976 fps, so then if I maintain the 1440x960 resolution, it'd be letterboxed/bordered to achieve 1920x1080?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by wubikens View Post
    so then if I maintain the 1440x960 resolution, it'd be letterboxed/bordered to achieve 1920x1080?
    1440x960 is double of 720x480 . But NTSC VHS is not "square pixel" format. The AR is most likely wrong if you keep it 1440x960 and both

pillarboxed,letterboxed in a 1920x1080 frame . ie. 1440x960 is the wrong square pixel dimensions - you have to scale width, height, or both

A "normal" 4:3 DVD or VHS does not display at 720x480 either.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Also you want to crop the junk off around the frame and leave it clean after de-interlacing and before upscaling to 1440x1080, I would think Blu-ray accepts 4:3 AR in 1440x1080, doesn't it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I would think Blu-ray accepts 4:3 AR in 1440x1080, doesn't it?
    1440x1080 is only supported at 16:9 for BD
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Good to know, So padding to 16:9 is a must then.
    Quote Quote