VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just use the Brightness control in the Proc Amp for the left edge, and the contrast control for the right edge. Adjust each as necessary so that the histogram is just inside the red marks. Then you will not have any blowouts.

If you don't have red marks, you'll see the blue start "building-up" against the limit, as though there's an invisible wall there. You don't want too much of that. Bring left edge or right edge of the histogram back towards the central area so there isn't a large build-up.

VD has a level option in the menu it gives you access to brightness and contrast without having to go into proc amp
    Arr, yes, I see that. One of the reasons I don't use VDub; too many unnecessary complications. Just use the Proc Amp controls.

Will I need to recapture
    That's entirely up to how the current captures look. You could post a 15 second snippet here for the experts to analyse; they will tell you how "legal" your levels are.

I as said before, you can use the Colormill filter in VDub to adjust the levels. But if you have areas of pure white ie blown out then you won't get those back. But then those areas may be so unimportant that it will not be worth the effort in re-capturing. Cost-Benefit-Analysis and all that!
    Last edited by Alwyn; 30th Apr 2024 at 03:25.
    Quote Quote  
  2. [QUOTE=Alwyn;2733596]
    Just use the Brightness control in the Proc Amp for the left edge, and the contrast control for the right edge. Adjust each as necessary so that the histogram is just inside the red marks. Then you will not have any blowouts.
    [\QUOTE]

I did that today started with the brightness left edge then contrast right edge, the histogram blue line is in the middle, I have just left it like that and started capturing, can't waste too much time on such petty things I've tried my level best.

Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    If you don't have red marks, you'll see the blue start "building-up" against the limit, as though there's an invisible wall there. You don't want too much of that. Bring left edge or right edge of the histogram back towards the central area so there isn't a large build-up.
    I do see a red mark on the left hand side but the blue line is not going into red, I tested it for 1 min before capture.

Arr, yes, I see that. One of the reasons I don't use VDub; too many unnecessary complications. Just use the Proc Amp controls.
    That's what I've done graph studio open saved filter then open virtualdub turn on histogram test then close graph studio and start capture. I am recapturing my movie with the correct levels this time I didn't have graph studio set up when I captured it first time.

I as said before, you can use the Colormill filter in VDub to adjust the levels. But if you have areas of pure white ie blown out then you won't get those back. But then those areas may be so unimportant that it will not be worth the effort in re-capturing. Cost-Benefit-Analysis and all that!
    I tried to download it once the download was on a Russian site and my antivirus said its not safe download blocked.

I'm going to leave it for now and work with graph studio this is a much safer option.

Another issue I have is I've tried of the dreaded window 10 updates but they keep turning back on during capturing and asking me to restart, I have disabled update all services but they keep turning back on, do you know how to turn them off completely?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just left it like that and started capturing, can't waste too much time on such petty things I've tried my level best.
    Yes, I find it is easy to get too picky about this stuff. At some point you have to say "Enough!".

I tried to download it once the download was on a Russian site and my antivirus said its not safe download blocked.

I'm going to leave it for now and work with graph studio this is a much safer option.
    Colormill is for post-capture adjustments and it also does colour adjustments as well. Very good for getting the exposure spot on. Here are the versions I'm using:

32 bit (92kb):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V_f9GJhycsS7FTq1DqJOO9HgNwl3oO2R/view?usp=sharing

64bit (447kb):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A_PlprGeJxdzj4vFVDtO4OB2J6bSRFr2/view?usp=sharing

Drop each one into the appropriate "plugins" folder in your VDub folder. They'll then appear in the "Filters" list.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another issue I have is I've tried of the dreaded window 10 updates but they keep turning back on during capturing and asking me to restart, I have disabled update all services but they keep turning back on, do you know how to turn them off completely?
    In Windows Update (Settings>Win Update), try setting to "Pause for 1 week", and change your active hours.

TBH, I've never worried about this. I don't generally use the PC during a capture, but it could be doing things under the hood I don't know about.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Colormill is for post-capture adjustments and it also does colour adjustments as well. Very good for getting the exposure spot on. Here are the versions I'm using:

32 bit (92kb):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V_f9GJhycsS7FTq1DqJOO9HgNwl3oO2R/view?usp=sharing

64bit (447kb):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A_PlprGeJxdzj4vFVDtO4OB2J6bSRFr2/view?usp=sharing

Drop each one into the appropriate "plugins" folder in your VDub folder. They'll then appear in the "Filters" list.
    Thanks for the download link.
    Says file not supported when I tried to download
    Will try and sort this out, did you download from the russian website?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    In Windows Update (Settings>Win Update), try setting to "Pause for 1 week", and change your active hours.

TBH, I've never worried about this. I don't generally use the PC during a capture, but it could be doing things under the hood I don't know about.

Tried all that the one week option is no longer highlighted because I have already used it once.
    I've tried to disable it from tak mgr to stop and disable but it keeps turning back on.

I hate it, I haven't uploaded my film capture PC in ages, because it could break old drivers to capture cards
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Says file not supported when I tried to download
    What program said that?

Will try and sort this out, did you download from the russian website?
    Can't remember. Here's another site (Github):
    https://github.com/Bassquake/ColorMill

Be mindful of the 32 and 64 bit versions. You can rename the plugins so you can keep track of the 32/64 bitness of them ie put them in the correct plugins folder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    What program said that?
    I tried to save it to my g drive I'm on smart phone
    I tried another capture and today everything seems good color and brightness both good, no red.

You have been a great help lots of thanks I'm still going to need your help
    on the other topic
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My pleasure.
    Quote Quote