VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all, been a long time visitor to the site, but I think this is the first time I've had to ask for advice.

So, last week I bought a Sanyo VTC 9300PN Betamax recorder, and at first it's playing fairly well. There are some colour issues sometimes, with the left of the screen almost colorless, & the right hand side doors has minimal colour, but at other times it shows colour as it should.
    But the main problem i'm having, is that when it gets forward the end of a tape, the tape will just stop for no ovoid train (not obvious to me anyway). Also, fast forwarding towards the end of the tape is very slow, & judging by the speed the reel is spinning, there is presumably something slowing the hidden reel.

I can get a video later if necessary, but the player is quite loud when it stops, & it's currently 2a.m., so I doubt my housemates would want me to be fault finding & filming right now.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you have worn rubber belts/drives,best to check them out.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok thanks for getting back to me. I've got the top off the recorder, it's quite dusty, & I've got rid of a lot of the dust now.
    So, I had the same problem as before, & was watching the mechanism, & noticed there was a loose loop of tape when the tape stopped. I'll add a photo, the loose loop is right in the middle. Is this the pinch roller? Or the belt/drive that you mentioned? & more importantly, is it an easy fix?

I'll also add a clip of the picture quality of the tape in trying right now, this is probably the worst the picture has been - is this dirty video heads? & can I splice a piece of a vhs head cleaner tape into an empty beta chassis? I don't want to have to pay £50+ if there's a much cheaper solution.

& thanks for your help too, it's much appreciated. I've got a little bit of experience with vhs players, but because of the scarcity of beta players, I don't want to start getting to deep into something I can't deal with fairly easily.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20240325_181231.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	77919  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are various videos on youtube associated with your player, search on
    sanyo beta 9300PN
    perhaps you'll find something related.

Failing that, unless you can spot something obvious, your best bet is to find and contact someone in the UK
    who knows what they're doing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
    Quote Quote