VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anybody know why a computer (running Windows XP, and bought before 2005) would suddenly have problems connecting to the Internet after replacing the power supply?

Everything that was connected from the old power supply is connected from the new power supply, too. And it makes no difference whether I tweak the BIOS or just 'Load Default Values'. Everything else seems to work, but the Ethernet port.
    I did not delete anything, nor do I have any viruses.
    I just changed the power supply.

The error is that the Local Connection icon keeps alternating between the computers with the red 'X' (- no connection -) and the computers with the yellow moving circle (- connecting -).
    Most of the time, it's on "no connection", but in between it seems to want to be connecting.

The only issue I can think of is that the previous power supply was up to 350W, and this new one is up to 250W, but the PC should work even with a 250W supply.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the only thing i can think of;

Maybe you damaged the network cable?
    Or the network controller is under powered due your lower wattage power supply?
    Power supply standards are changed so your 20 year old hardware might not match newer standards?

I own a recent motherboard (intel 1151) that refuses to boot with a modern power supply but does with a 15 year old one
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Andrea Bianco View Post
    Does anybody know why a computer (running Windows XP, and bought before 2005) would suddenly have problems connecting to the Internet after replacing the power supply?

Everything that was connected from the old power supply is connected from the new power supply, too. And it makes no difference whether I tweak the BIOS or just 'Load Default Values'. Everything else seems to work, but the Ethernet port.
    I did not delete anything, nor do I have any viruses.
    I just changed the power supply.

The error is that the Local Connection icon keeps alternating between the computers with the red 'X' (- no connection -) and the computers with the yellow moving circle (- connecting -).
    Most of the time, it's on "no connection", but in between it seems to want to be connecting.

The only issue I can think of is that the previous power supply was up to 350W, and this new one is up to 250W, but the PC should work even with a 250W supply.

Thank you.
    try going into your computers network settings - find your computers Ethernet port - look
    "Drivers" - click uninstall - reboot your computer and let windows reinstall the Ethernet port
    and see if it will let you connect to the internet.
    Quote Quote