VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all. Bought a used Yongnuo, looks like an older model. They are pretty expensive where I live and basically picked this up for $10 lol.
    It came with a power supply (of sorts) 12v 2 amp which I found out after should have a much higher current rating (5 amp) I thought the 12 volt side
    of it was ok because that is the size of the power supply they come with these days. I found a higher rated 12v power supply and plugged it in ran like a charm.
    And then came up with an error message saying E1, which I believe is an over volt code.

I had a closer look on the power adapter and it actually says 8 volt 5 amp. Anyone have any insight on this? Where the older ones a lower input voltage?
    very little about them on the internet. Most of the references even for my older model suggest a power supply of 12v, as if 12 v would be fine. I did see a guy
    give one a review on Amazon and said 12v was giving him the E1 overvolt message and it wasn't suitable.
    Quote Quote  
  2. No clue about this particular device but i can share general rules about LED lighting.

single White LED require approx 3.4..3.6V to operate, usually such LED are combined in series and powered by higher voltage but it must multiply of 3.4..3.6V - for 12V PS it is usually 3 LED's in series for 8V it can be only 2 LED's in series. Despite high efficiency LED converts most of electrical power into heat -so 12V * 2A is 24W and 8V * 5A is 40W - depends on light size this is quite substantial amount of heat to dissipate (LED don't like temperatures over 50..60 C deg).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yongnuo is a cheap Chinese photo company that does make some nice items, including lenses.

Power ratings are never exact, and can have some wiggle room on the numbers.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    No clue about this particular device but i can share general rules about LED lighting.

single White LED require approx 3.4..3.6V to operate, usually such LED are combined in series and powered by higher voltage but it must multiply of 3.4..3.6V - for 12V PS it is usually 3 LED's in series for 8V it can be only 2 LED's in series. Despite high efficiency LED converts most of electrical power into heat -so 12V * 2A is 24W and 8V * 5A is 40W - depends on light size this is quite substantial amount of heat to dissipate (LED don't like temperatures over 50..60 C deg).
    Well it has 300 x LEDS and a built in fan so yeah, it must use some juice and get warm. It is rated at 36 watts I believe. As far as wiggle room power input probably get away with a 9v 5a adapter or 7.xx but it doesn't like 12v for sure. And seen a few posts on google from guys saying the 12v doesn't work on their units. Form what I gather the first generation of these light panels were 8v input, and the ones now and last few years 12 volt. Not sure why the change. May be because 12v power supplies are a lot more available and cheaper. They would have simply rewired the internals or reduce the input power internally. I did briefly get it going on the 12v supply for a couple of minutes until it got the overvolt error. The light was definitely very good and direct with the box flaps. be great for vlogging or casting. I have ordered an 8v 5a power supply for it from China. Hoping it does the trick
    Quote Quote  
  5. Does your lamp have 300 LEDs or 600s (as stated in the thread´s title)? I have both the 300 and the 600 models. The 300 uses 8V power adapters (can be from 3 to 5 A) because it uses one NP Fxxx style battery and the 600 model uses two batteries, hence the need for more power from the poer supply. If you want to connect it to AC the 12V 5A power supply should be good enough. If it keeps givieng an error it may be because an internal problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't state it has 600 LED's in the title, that is the model number....YN600LED. The newer models use an 8v and 12v adapter... (YN300 and YN600 respectively) but this is definitely 8v, says so on the adapter input socket. The 12V adapter doesn't work, well it works briefly then there is an error message stating over voltage. I picked all this up from a few google searches. It's just an older model and apparently the older models different to the new ones. The power supply secondary on yours by the way would be 12v DC, not AC
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Kenny202 View Post
    Well it has 300 x LEDS and a built in fan so yeah, it must use some juice and get warm. It is rated at 36 watts I believe. As far as wiggle room power input probably get away with a 9v 5a adapter or 7.xx but it doesn't like 12v for sure. And seen a few posts on google from guys saying the 12v doesn't work on their units. Form what I gather the first generation of these light panels were 8v input, and the ones now and last few years 12 volt. Not sure why the change. May be because 12v power supplies are a lot more available and cheaper. They would have simply rewired the internals or reduce the input power internally. I did briefly get it going on the 12v supply for a couple of minutes until it got the overvolt error. The light was definitely very good and direct with the box flaps. be great for vlogging or casting. I have ordered an 8v 5a power supply for it from China. Hoping it does the trick
    36W matches 8V x 5A PSU so... They can use some internal DC/DC converter so 12V may be better (for example power socket capability).
    Being on your side i would buy DC/DC adjustable converter with proper amp rating (at least 5A).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    It looks like you've run into a classic case of voltage mismatch with your Yongnuo—older models can be finicky about their power requirements. From what you've described, it seems like the 8V 5A specification is crucial for your model, as opposed to the 12V seen in newer versions. This would definitely explain the E1 error you're getting, signaling that the device isn't happy with the higher voltage.

For a deep dive into finding the right power specs or troubleshooting gear like this, I usually check out https://leds.to/. They've got a ton of useful articles that might help you sort this out without risking damage to your Yongnuo.
    Last edited by CM120884; 12th Feb 2024 at 13:44.
    Quote Quote