VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey there experts! I've got meself into a little dilemma. I'm encoding an audio from Bluray

Source:
    Audio
    Format : DTS XLL
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
    Commercial name : DTS-HD Master Audio
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF)
    Bit depth : 24 bits
    Compression mode : Lossless
    [Attachment 77860 - Click to enlarge]

I wanna set cutoff 18khz cuz I wanna get rid of that noise so that Opus's VBR doesnt allocate bits to high freq information
    How to set a custom cutoff?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The noise is dither, it helps to avoid quantization errors. At -110 dB and such high frequencies you can't hear it anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Brazil View Post
    The noise is dither, it helps to avoid quantization errors. At -110 dB and such high frequencies you can't hear it anyway.
    Technically it is noiseshaped dither and still it is not recommended to keep it in lossy compressed audio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by rnie sura View Post
    I wanna set cutoff 18khz cuz I wanna get rid of that noise so that Opus's VBR doesnt allocate bits to high freq information
    Depends on tool you are using to encode - seem opus encoder do to allow to specify low pass filter so other tool need to be involved - in ffmpeg this should be possible without problem.
    btw - this noiseshaped dither looks strange - seem to be incorrect - it looks like modulated by signal i.e. wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by rnie sura View Post
    Depends on tool you are using to encode - seem opus encoder do to allow to specify low pass filter so other tool need to be involved - in ffmpeg this should be possible without problem.
    btw - this noiseshaped dither looks strange - seem to be incorrect - it looks like modulated by signal i.e. wrong.
    Noise profile is straight from the source (DTS-MA). Also I found a solution. Instead of using a custom cutoff (which OPUS doesnt allow). I first converted dts into flac with sox using sinc 23.5k-16.5k to remove all the noise. it helped reducing the size of course, then I converted to OPUS 256k for stereo and 448k for 5.1 audio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by rnie sura View Post
    i've tried various lowpasses, it doesnt work. it only reduces the dither by some dB, not completely eliminate it
    Quote Quote