VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is the best format for subtitles? Also, what would be the best settings for converting pgs files?
    [Attachment 76328 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think there is no "best" format for subtitles. Maybe less or more supported ones. Depends on your goal and player. Often built-in tv players only support srt. All stand-alone mediaplayers I had & have, support internal (stream in sourcefile) SUP (PGS) and srt. Other formats may be supported when external, where ASS-format is a common example.
    For srt, players can have several options as to font type/size/colour and positioning (fixed or by honouring tags). For full-HD video and up I edit all my subs and go for 1080p SUP. IMO it's the most supported format where all features are baked-in. It's image-based with format-mandatory positioning, hard for a mediaplayer to go wrong with.
    I do add extra srt to important SD video (dvd, old tv-recordings). When viewing SD on a 1080p/4K tv the native subs can come out ugly, sometimes even unwatchable. The images of text based srt will be rendered to output resolution by the player (or tv), looking much sharper. And conveniently, with srt there's no need to deal with different framerates, video-resolutions and display aspect-ratios which SD video comes in.

Not sure what you mean with "converting pgs". PGS to text requires OCR. For which in SE I have "Tesseract 3.02" set. But I think you have to try & find out what works best for you. IMO, OCR will always be subject to reading errors and corrections wil have to be made.
    When there's no need to convert to text, note that SE has a so-called "SUP"-editor but it accepts several kinds of sourcefiles (go File --> Import --> Blu-ray (.sup) subtitle for edit). Here you can edit native features like start- & end timestamps, framerate, videoresolution and positionings. It has the same synchronization tool as in text mode and offers basic image manipulations.
    Last edited by Ennio; 21st Jan 2024 at 03:17.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post
    What is the best format for subtitles?
    I think .srt format are the most commonly used one, so that an good choice in itself, but probably there is an other format that might offer some other type of functions or features which make it a lil bit better, then when it come to using the subtitle in reality it might not allso function with all programs and such things!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    I think there is no "best" format for subtitles. Maybe less or more supported ones. Depends on your goal and player. Often built-in tv players only support srt. All stand-alone mediaplayers I had & have, support internal (stream in sourcefile) SUP (PGS) and srt. Other formats may be supported when external, where ASS-format is a common example.
    For srt, players can have several options as to font type/size/colour and positioning (fixed or by honouring tags). For full-HD video and up I edit all my subs and go for 1080p SUP. IMO it's the most supported format where all features are baked-in. It's image-based with format-mandatory positioning, hard for a mediaplayer to go wrong with.
    I do add extra srt to important SD video (dvd, old tv-recordings). When viewing SD on a 1080p/4K tv the native subs can come out ugly, sometimes even unwatchable. The images of text based srt will be rendered to output resolution by the player (or tv), looking much sharper. And conveniently, with srt there's no need to deal with different framerates, video-resolutions and display aspect-ratios which SD video comes in.

Not sure what you mean with "converting pgs". PGS to text requires OCR. For which in SE I have "Tesseract 3.02" set. But I think you have to try & find out what works best for you. IMO, OCR will always be subject to reading errors and corrections wil have to be made.
    When there's no need to convert to text, note that SE has a so-called "SUP"-editor but it accepts several kinds of sourcefiles (go File --> Import --> Blu-ray (.sup) subtitle for edit). Here you can edit native features like start- & end timestamps, framerate, videoresolution and positionings. It has the same synchronization tool as in text mode and offers basic image manipulations.
    How do I batch convert with Tesseract 3.02? I have Fix OCR Error enabled, will it automatically make corrections? Why or why not should I leave Prompt for unknown words disabled?
    Last edited by Mr. Fanservice; 21st Jan 2024 at 08:07.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Making correction during the OCR'ing stage can be time consuming. Let it finish the job, then open the *.srt file in Notepad and make the corrections yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Making correction during the OCR'ing stage can be time consuming. Let it finish the job, then open the *.srt file in Notepad and make the corrections yourself.
    Am I right, though? And my other questions?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr. Fanservice View Post
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Am I right, though? And my other questions?
    What other questions? Leave everything unchecked (Unselected) for fast ORCing. With regards to batch convert, I prefer dealing with one at a time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder how batch OCR-ing would work. Every hickup, reading-error or whatever flaw would have to pass, in order to be able to end one process and start the next. Using OCR often myself, I think there'd actually be more work having to check & correct each batch-result, than doing it when live monitoring the OCR process.

"Fix OCR errors" is about replacing "reading errors" with predefined fixes. Which list can be set during installation, but often grows during "learning", where unknown OCR outcomes have to be manually set to a given "fixed" text. I think there never will be a "fix all OCR errors". Reading errors will always be made. Lists will change, or go lost. And are not always proof; they're subject to faulty enterings by human error (typos, misinterpretations, etc). OCR itself actually doesn't know right from wrong.
    Last edited by Ennio; 22nd Jan 2024 at 06:27.
    Quote Quote