VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I tried opening a video file with TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 6, but I got this error message. Can someone help me?
    [Attachment 75797 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Video information
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: txt g.txt (7.6 KB, 26 views)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your video - 10bit444 HEVC - is not supported
    https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr6_spec.html

* H.265/HEVC in up to 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 format only.
    Video
    ID : 1
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Format Range@L4@Main
    Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Duration : 23 min 43 s
    Bit rate : 10.1 Mb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:4:4
    Bit depth : 10 bits

If you are only cutting short clips - chances are it's only 1 GOP and would be re-encoded anyways. Smart rendering only makes sense for longer segments with more than 1 GOP
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Your video - 10bit444 HEVC - is not supported
    https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr6_spec.html

* H.265/HEVC in up to 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 format only.
    Video
    ID : 1
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Format Range@L4@Main
    Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Duration : 23 min 43 s
    Bit rate : 10.1 Mb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:4:4
    Bit depth : 10 bits

If you are only cutting short clips - chances are it's only 1 GOP and would be re-encoded anyways. Smart rendering only makes sense for longer segments with more than 1 GOP
    So I can't use the tool, then? What alternative tool can help me with my problem on the other thread then, since I'll have to reecode the video for it to work on there?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post
    So I can't use the tool, then? What alternative tool can help me with my problem on the other thread then, since I'll have to reecode the video for it to work on there?
    This won't work for that video. That person re-encoded the original source with 10bit444 for whatever reason . Or use the original, original BD source

Just mark in/ mark out - edit it in a normal editor like avidemux and re-encode it . Since you're re-encoding anyways, smart rendering doesn't matter
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post
    This won't work for that video. That person re-encoded the original source with 10bit444 for whatever reason . Or use the original, original BD source

Just mark in/ mark out - edit it in a normal editor like avidemux and re-encode it . Since you're re-encoding anyways, smart rendering doesn't matter
    What about VideoReDo TVSuite?
    Last edited by Jay123210599; 26th Dec 2023 at 20:54.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post

What about Smart Cutter or VideoReDo TVSuite?
    They don't support 10bit444 HEVC, and besides, videoredo is no longer available

All of them would support the original BD (8bit420 AVC)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM

What about Smart Cutter or VideoReDo TVSuite?
    They don't support 10bit444 HEVC, and besides, videoredo is no longer available

All of them would support the original BD (8bit420 AVC)
    How do you know that? You went to the Blu ray site?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post

All BD's are 8bit 4:2:0 .

I don't know if it's AVC, but it's a good bet . It could be MPEG2 (unlikely, but still supported for smart rendering), or VC-1 (very unlikely)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I don't know if it's AVC, but it's a good bet .
    Yes, AVC for Funimation BD

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Keijo-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/243580/
    Video Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM

I don't know if it's AVC, but it's a good bet . It could be MPEG2 (unlikely, but still supported for smart rendering), or VC-1 (very unlikely)
    I checked the website, and you're right, it is (not sure it's 4:2:0, though). If I encode my videos to be the original BD source, will it have the same quality as if I remuxed it?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post

I checked the website, and you're right, it is (not sure it's 4:2:0, though). If I encode my videos to be the original BD source, will it have the same quality as if I remuxed it?
    All BD's are 4:2:0 (this is the BD spec) , so 100% for certain the retail BD is 4:2:0

No, you can't encode to "be the original BD source" , it will just degrade it. You can't improve the quality just by re-encoding. You always degrade the video using lossy encoding .

Assuming nothing else was done to your video (it wasn't filtered) from the BD , it should be slightly lower quality than the BD to begin with. The sample you posted in the other thread looks like a high quality lossy encode. But if you re-encode what you have using lossy encoding, it will degrade even more . It will have 2 generations loss. But if you use high enough bitrates, the quality loss might be very minimal or negligible
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM

All BD's are 4:2:0 (this is the BD spec) , so 100% for certain the retail BD is 4:2:0

No, you can't encode to "be the original BD source" , it will just degrade it. You can't improve the quality just by re-encoding. You always degrade the video using lossy encoding .

Assuming nothing else was done to your video (it wasn't filtered) from the BD , it should be slightly lower quality than the BD to begin with. The sample you posted in the other thread looks like a high quality lossy encode. But if you re-encode what you have using lossy encoding, it will degrade even more . It will have 2 generations loss. But if you use high enough bitrates, the quality loss might be very minimal or negligible
    Where's the proof that all BD are 4:2:0? And what if I convert it to AVC lossless?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post

Where's the proof that all BD are 4:2:0?
    In the official Blu Ray spec book. It's very expensive

If you want a "cheap" summary book you can look at "blu-ray demystified"

And what if I convert it to AVC lossless?

For your video, if you convert to lossless AVC - you keep the same quality as the input file , but probably increase the filesize 5-10x . But still lower quality than the BD, if the earlier assumption about no filtering was true

Lossless encoding just keeps the same quality as the direct input file and prevents additional quality loss. It does not improve quality, or restore the quality already lost from a previous step . Quality loss from lossy encoding is mostly irreversible (you can sometimes subjectively improve some things with filtering)

As mentioned many times in your other threads, if you start with a lossy source, lossless encoding will keep the same quality and increase the filesize many times larger
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Jay123210599 Regular Blu-ray uses the sRGB colorspace reported by MediaInfo for your file but only 8-bit color. 10-bit color is a waste for sRGB.

For what it's worth, your video's characteristics don't match UHD Blu-ray either. UHD Blu-ray supports HEVC and 10-bit color (for the Rec 2020 color space) but still uses 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.

Your file has FLAC audio instead of the original Blu-ray audio. Fortunately, TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 6 does support FLAC audio with the characteristics listed in the MediaInfo report.

However, TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 6 doesn't support editing every type of audio that is used on Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray. For example, DTS and Dolby Atmos are not supported. ...but to be fair, I am not aware of any video editors available to consumers that can work with DTS or Dolby Atmos.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote