VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do any NLE programs have a max file size when importing to edit? FAT32 is 4GB and NTFS is massively big, but what editing programs have file size limits on videos they read in for editing?

Do people split long videos to keep a recommended maximum file size for compatibility with editors? I'm bringing in mDV and Hi8 tapes. winDV sets a 22500 frame / 12.5min NTSC or 15min PAL by default.... but what do most people use for max limit?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not sure why you needed to start a new thread, when this is picking up from the other one...

Most major commercial NLEs (not counting freeware here) support whatever the Filesystem & Fileformat specs say are the limit.

I know I've used AdobePremiere, Vegas Pro (older, Sony version), AVID MediaComposer, and Davinci Resolve and have never had file limitation issues. And I've captured hours-long footage, in both DV, and intermediate codecs (ProRes, DNXHD, Cineform) and Lossless (HUFFYUV and Lagarith), so those file sizes are in the multi- or hundred- Gigabyte range.

With freeware/OpenSource stuff, YMMV, but I would expect there to be few issues. And IMO, if it can't handle it, it probably isn't well written.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do any NLE programs have a max file size when importing to edit?
    No, not the good ones.

Don't use FAT32;you'll get stopped at the 4GB limit. Use NTFS for your HD drives. You might be stuck with FAT 32 for thumbdrives and some playing devices, but you won't be capturing/editing on those.

Do people split long videos to keep a recommended maximum file size for compatibility with editors?
    No. There is no limit. I regularly capture 3hr VHS tapes into lossless format, resulting in an AVI file of ~80GB. No problem editing that.

I'm bringing in mDV and Hi8 tapes. winDV sets a 22500 frame / 12.5min NTSC or 15min PAL by default.... but what do most people use for max limit?
    Set it on 999999 (unless you want to limit your capture length when, say, you're using a DV camcorder to do an analogue to digital capture where the camcorder/ADVC is just being used for passthrough and doesn't actually have a tape running in it).
    Last edited by Alwyn; 14th Dec 2023 at 18:30. Reason: "Unless..." added.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi, thank you for your explanation it helps me too.

Last edited by beyonslay; 25th Dec 2023 at 10:41.
    Quote Quote