VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a way to prevent text overlaps? I thought I had caught everything on one long job but in review I see a few
    overlaps. I guess I'll ask it as: How many milliseconds needed for the avoidance of overlaps just from the aspect of
    screen writes (one title appearing after the next) ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The end timing of a line can be the same as the start timing of the next line -
    ie. no gap at all.
    However, if you use tools/apply minimum gap between subtitles,
    the minimum gap from settings/general will be applied
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	se4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	75036  

Last edited by davexnet; 23rd Nov 2023 at 23:07.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Dave. I'll have to go by the color prompts in SE that show individual overlaps. I'm well acquainted with having to use that feature but then I have a perceived problem of getting my vocal phrase to not be cut off

I may not be describing it right.

Settings in SE are worrisome to me and I've tried to avoid them altogether preferring more control of the line.
    Last edited by loninappleton; 24th Nov 2023 at 00:32. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  4. Apply minimum gap-- yes-- how can I make sure it is turned off and how is it in default?

Looking at my Settings I have Mn gap between subtitles in ms at "2" which isn't much. I lowered all those settings.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I sure your aware but under Fix common errors... there is a check box (second one down) Fix overlapping display lines that will prevent overlapping.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you. Actually no I wasn't aware of that specifically since there are so many of those fix common errors entries. I would only use 'fix common errors' on a test basis.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I admit I don't understand the workings of features in Subtitle Edit. So if I just want to use this overlap feature, tick that box and untick all the rest, when does the change kick in-- immediately? And is there an undo ?

I don't see enough prompts to just _know_ all this or when it's happening. Or how to turn it all off. It's my impression that I am redoing a lot of things to make small changes. So I save frequently after a line or two manually without depending on SE generated backup copies.

Does AegisSub behave differently-- less auto-generated stuff ?
    Quote Quote