VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got some PAL tapes in USA and only an NTSC deck. I came across a Universal PAL NTSC SECAM TV Video System Converter on Ebay and while I have my doubts thought I'd ask if it might work. I could go from the RCA outs of the NTSC VCR to the converter to an ATI600 to PC. I started to put the Ebay address on here but it was so long I didn't. If you enter "Universal PAL NTSC SECAM TV Video System Converter" in Ebay search you come up with what I came across. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Someone proove me wrong but......

It will not work. The signal will have already changed before it hits the converter. No color. Just B&W at best.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    A NTSC VCR will not playback PAL tapes, Not even in B&W. Case closed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. dellsam34 is correct, almost no North American NTSC VCR will play PAL tapes at all. At best they'll output output garbage. Or they'll just eject the tape after a few seconds.

And converters like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Universal-PAL-NTSC-SECAM-TV-Video-System-Converter/433822991

do a very poor job of conversion. Of course, a poor conversion may be better than no no conversion -- but you won't be getting any signal to convert from a North American VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh well. It was worth a shot. Thanks for the replies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hpcampr View Post
    I've got some PAL tapes in USA and only an NTSC deck. I came across a Universal PAL NTSC SECAM TV Video System Converter on Ebay and while I have my doubts thought I'd ask if it might work. I could go from the RCA outs of the NTSC VCR to the converter to an ATI600 to PC. I started to put the Ebay address on here but it was so long I didn't. If you enter "Universal PAL NTSC SECAM TV Video System Converter" in Ebay search you come up with what I came across. Thanks
    Been where you are about 20 years ago.
    I feel your pain.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is where we in PAL-land have one major advantage.

One can load a NTSC VHS in to a PAL vcr and, with the right hardware,(not a basic analog standards converter) can capture that NTSC signal.

But, back to topic, if you have a quantity of PAL vhs your only options are

1. A multi-standard vhs
    2. A PAL vhs with a power-supply adapter for the UK to US.
    3. Getting the transfers done outsourced (if the transfer co. will, indeed, handle them)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    That is where we in PAL-land have one major advantage.

One can load a NTSC VHS in to a PAL vcr and, with the right hardware,(not a basic analog standards converter) can capture that NTSC signal.

But, back to topic, if you have a quantity of PAL vhs your only options are

1. A multi-standard vhs
    2. A PAL vhs with a power-supply adapter for the UK to US.
    3. Getting the transfers done outsourced (if the transfer co. will, indeed, handle them)
    Not critical tapes but if I run across a PAL deck at a fair price I'll consider that. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm in the US and come across PAL tapes from time to time. All I needed to make my PAL VCRs work was to change the plug.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I'm in the US and come across PAL tapes from time to time. All I needed to make my PAL VCRs work was to change the plug.
    I was wondering about that. So some of them have a box that switches from 110-220?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Proceed with caution, Only VCRs that have a multi-voltage switched power transformer, It will not work with any VCR. Some do say 110-220 on the back of the VCR, Some don't but can be used with a US plug as long as the transformer is a multi-voltage type, Check the service manual.
    Quote Quote