VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't get me wrong but XP is overhyped - best Windows NT ever is Windows 2000 - XP is the first Windows that started long process of "fixing what isn’t broken"...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That linked article is inaccurate. Did anyone bother to fact-check it? It says:
    "Windows 7 followed Vista in 2009, confronting users with massive changes. It initially forced users on computers with a keyboard and mouse into a tablet-style interaction on the home screen.

The familiar icons and desktop format vanished. Instead, users were greeted with differently-sized tiles, and scrolling mechanisms that were perfect for touch-screens but awkward for mouse navigation."
    I can see how that criticism might apply to Windows 8 but when was it ever true for Windows 7? I installed Windows 7 almost as soon as it was released and saw nothing like that. The only significant problems I had with Windows 7 were that device drivers for my drawing pad (with a serial port interface) were incompatible and a few programs that used deprecated commands no longer worked. I had to get used to some changes in the user interface but I also had to do that when I moved from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 and from Windows 95 to Windows XP. I quickly grew to like Windows 7 more than Windows XP.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Oct 2021 at 17:37.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't know in which reality this author is living but the article starts with a ridiculous premise, namely that Microsoft ever "fell". It didn't.

It also ignores all the lawsuits and DOJ monopoly investigations that prevents MS from engaging in the same business strategies it did when XP was released.

It's also flat out wrong about the way it describes Win 7, I've never seen or used a Win 7 install that behaved the way the author describes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. He has Win8 confused with Win7.

Start bars, XP, 7, 8.1:

[Attachment 61471 - Click to enlarge]

"Academic rigor," my ass.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Oct 2021 at 23:08.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft fell all the way up to the Fortune 500 #15 spot. Doomed.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Memory plays strange tricks.

I still have a Win7 install and I did have to change something to make it look like what I was used to previously. Not tiles but still IIRC crazy floating windows with those various themes.

But even with Win10 one could get rid of the tiles and revert back to desktop icons.

Never bothered with Win8 so I can not comment on that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I liked 8.1, used it for the last 2 1/2 years. Originally had an early version of 10, but I found myself fighting it,
    I ran into a bunch of problems with updates, I scrapped it and installed 8.1. Disabled as much of the store/metro apps as I could
    and it works well.

Have since upgraded to the latest 10 as an experiment (within the last week); seems much better than the earlier version I had trouble with in the past

Have taken a full partition backup of 8.1 and can revert back to it in about 20 minutes if I'm inclined to do so.

Also have an XP install on this PC; it's still usable, avast free A/V and the Basilisk web browser
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm typing on a laptop running Windows 8.1. I didn't need to fight my old habits anymore after I installed Classic Shell. If I had fewer apps installed or had a tablet maybe I would have liked the Start Screen.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    He has Win8 confused with Win7.
    I would have expected more careful writing, given the author's profile. Her brief profile says she's a lecturer in Computer Science at an Australian university. I guess that is where the claim of academic rigor comes from.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Oct 2021 at 23:50.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    I didn't need to fight my old habits anymore after I installed Classic Shell.
    Same here. Now called Open Shell, works great with Win 10.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the fall of microsoft is a bit overstated, they still have an enormous market cap.

But they have declined. This, however, has nothing to do with XP and much to do with their failure to make much of a dent in the mobile area.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Leaving my MAC's alone (for real work!) I'm still on Windows 7 and have not had any major problems. But time to move on and Win 11 coming up! What dramas will that be?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  14. I guess that is where the claim of academic rigor comes from.
    Where in the linked article do you see such a claim ? Out of curiosity, I searched the whole page for those two words, not a single hit, same for the author's profile. (She sure doesn't seem to be the epitome of dietary rigor !)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    I guess that is where the claim of academic rigor comes from.
    Where in the linked article do you see such a claim ? Out of curiosity, I searched the whole page for those two words, not a single hit...
    Right at the top of the page:

[Attachment 61500 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  16. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Heh, that's not a part of the Mobile Portrait version, but is there in Landscape mode.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  17. It's not dead yet... "Microsoft reclaims title of most valuable public company..."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/microsoft-reclaims-title-of-most-valuable-publ...r-apple-falls/
    Quote Quote  
  18. The sad thing is that this lady teaches computer science in a university. I guess things are upside down in The Land Down Under, and they see companies that are rising as falling.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Right at the top of the page:
    Some parts are automatically translated, hence why I couldn't find it. (Strange by the way that “rigor” gets translated as “expertise”, which has pretty much the same meaning as in english and is not quite the same thing, even though “rigueur” would be a direct equivalent, while another possible translation would be “exigence”.)
    [Attachment 61523 - Click to enlarge]

The sad thing is that this lady teaches computer science in a university.
    I have witnessed university teachers saying / writing much more egregious B.S. than that, sadly... Once I went out of my way to find an article that contradicted something a biochemistry teacher had said during a class (specifically : he had said that “omega 3” or “n-3” fatty acids “which are good for the heart” — that's already a very crude way of describing the role and importance of these molecules, worthy of a mainstream television show at best — were branched-chain fatty acids), he looked at it, made a cursory remark like “uh, that's interesting”, promised that he would look into it... then of course never mentioned it again. In another instance, a physiology teacher drew a cell membrane with the phospholipids upside-down (that one caused an uproar, contrary to the previously mentioned mistake which went unnoticed by ~50 4th year biology students).
    Last edited by abolibibelot; 31st Oct 2021 at 08:19.
    Quote Quote