VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been trying to clean this up for a while, but my ignorance has so far defeated me - this is an extract (taken straight from the DVD with MakeMKV) which I've found really troublesome.

I'm on a Mac, so I've been using Vapoursynth / vivtc for reverse telecine (assuming I have my terminology right) - combined with a few different methods for some basic denoising / sharpening - but I'm sure (or just hope) that better results are possible.

Any advice would be very welcome!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Inverse telecine followed by levels, or something to deepen the shadows
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Inverse telecine followed by levels, or something to deepen the shadows
    Thanks! That does look better, but still has some of the issues I'd been getting. Example - the detailing on the white buildings: Image
    [Attachment 60911 - Click to enlarge]
    :

I've had a breakthrough since posting this - so I've managed to improve it some - (this is after playing with the levels on your suggestion:Image
    [Attachment 60912 - Click to enlarge]

Happier with the results, but I still feel like I could be doing a better job.

It's frustrating because this is essentially a behind-the-scenes DVD of the musical footage from Robert Altman's Kansas City. Of which I have the Bluray - but for this footage, there's only this and VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It might be worth posting a video sample of your latest result as well as your script. Hopefully you'll get some further responses,
    I'm not up to speed with VapourSynth
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    It might be worth posting a video sample of your latest result as well as your script. Hopefully you'll get some further responses,
    Here's the latest - I used rpow / resize to push it up to 720p
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Vapoursynth is effectively a Python rewrite of Avisynth, with many (but not all) of the plugins ported across.
    I'm using it on a Mac, which has many (not all) of the Vapoursynth plugins ported across.

So from my perspective, it's effectively a subset of Avisynth, but it's still awesome.
    Quote Quote