VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My computer is too old to run DaVinci Resolve, which hangs upon installing. I want to try the Chroma key feature of DaVinci and found this tutorial for launching a AWS EC2 instance running CentOS and installing DaVinci, TigerVNC, connecting to S3, etc. It seems too complicated for what I want, which is simply upload a clip, chroma key the green screen, and export. This case study sets up cloud post-production for a feature film and seems even more complicated.

What is the easiest way to test DaVinci Resolve on the cloud, with any cloud provider?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If Resolve hangs on loading it's almost always because your GPU is insufficient for the task. No cloud is going to change that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Indeed, when I install from the App Store I get this message `Review GPU configuration, davinci resolve could not find opencl capable gpus`.

On the cloud, I think I could rent a virtual machine with enough GPU to run DaVinci and stream a low-resolution preview of the GUI to my local computer over VNC. Am I wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    If Resolve hangs on loading it's almost always because your GPU is insufficient for the task. No cloud is going to change that.
    Did you bother to read through the link he posted.

In a nutshell, all the editing is done on an AWS EC2 instance, the source files are uploaded to the instance and all the editing/rendering is done on the Resolve install running on the cloud's VM.

Years ago I used to do something similar, I worked for a company that had what was a high end workstation at the time, an i7-3960x based setup. I would remote in using TeamViewer, upload the files, launch Vegas remotely and do all the editing and rendering on that system from my home pc, which did not need to have Vegas installed or even be a high end PC.

There was some lag due to the internet connection and Team Viewer but it did work.

@OP: I don't see any "easy" way to test Resolve on the cloud, many production houses have moved to this sort of setup, because it allows easy collaboration with people around the globe, but for a user such as yourself, I think you're better off just buying a PC that can handle your work flow.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by miguelmorin View Post
    On the cloud, I think I could rent a virtual machine with enough GPU to run DaVinci and stream a low-resolution preview of the GUI to my local computer over VNC. Am I wrong?
    You're not wrong and I'm pretty sure if you contact provider they will be happy to set things up for you, whether it's worth the cost is up to you.
    Quote Quote