VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi. Sorry, 9.08, nor 9.8. I use an old ATI Wonder Pro on an XP desktop to make transcripts from the software and video card for my website. Recently the desktop died and I took it to be repaired. They cleaned out the dust and now it works. However, I'm getting an error message when I try to run the TV tuner. It says:

"Unable to start TV

Check the Windows Device Manager to ensure that the correct video driver has been installed and is working properly before attempting to restart TV

PC Check may help diagnose this problem. Start PC Check utility after pressing OK (check box there and OK button)."

The PC check didn't work. Is ATI MMC 9.8 the driver I need? I don't see it listed in the device manager. There are about 5 different things listed there and none of them sounds like ATI.

I'm not a newbie, but I'm not an expert, either. I can't find the 9.8 driver if that's what I need. Will 9.15 even work on XP or my old hardware?

I only use the part of the software that grabs the closed-captioning from the TV shows and saves it as an HTML file.

Not sure to do so please help!

I uninstalled the software, but now I can't find the original software to reinstall. So stupid of me, I know.
    This is the one I have: https://smile.amazon.com/ATI-Technologies-Wonder-PCI-NTSC-100-703138/dp/B0000C0COH/

Thanks!
    Last edited by slanoue; 20th Jan 2021 at 12:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Methinks you are seeking 9.08 not 9.8 since 9.13 was the last version.

No idea if that would work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Methinks you are seeking 9.08 not 9.8 since 9.13 was the last version.

No idea if that would work for you.
    Yes, 9.08. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried to install 9.13 and it said it was installing, but then nothing happened.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a download link for ATI MMC 9.08 in this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/392-ati-wonder-hacks-6.html#post29688

However, you must join DigitalFAQ to download the file.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you! Is this the multimedia program file or just the driver? It said it was installing and then nothing happened. There is nothing else installed that I can see....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slanoue View Post
    Thank you! Is this the multimedia program file or just the driver? It said it was installing and then nothing happened. There is nothing else installed that I can see....
    I believe it installs MMC and drivers. I don't know what device drivers are included. Maybe you should ask for help with your problem at DigitalFAQ. Some of the members there are experts at dealing with many of the ATI All-In-Wonder capture devices.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks, I did post there as well, but so far no one has been helpful...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I did post there as well, but so far no one has been helpful...
    That is not true. In this thread lordsmurf is giving you very clear and very specific troubleshooting instructions.

Just because you are choosing not to follow sound advice does not mean others are not being helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If I don't agree with said advice, then it's not helpful. I'm not some total newbie. I've been using computers since the 80's. He suggests I install a program that has nothing to do with what I need. I don't like installing unnecessary programs, do you? Anyway, he finally was helpful today so I'll be able to try to reinstall the program.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks, but I don't think mine is listed there. My fault, not yours. I typed "all-in-wonder" when I meant to type "wonder pro". It's the ATI TV Wonder Pro 100-703138.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thank you! I can't get the ATI software to install. I sent an email to the company that repaired my desktop to see if they can figure it out... I'm done trying on my own for now.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You can try 2 steps yourself to repair your XP system:
    Step 1: Start, Run: Write here:
    sfc /scannow
    and run it.
    After that reboot.
    If the problem still exists, you can do a repair installation:
    Step 2:
    See here:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Windows-XP-%22Repair-Install%22
    Quote Quote  
  14. I will do the first part, but it's OEM windows software, and I don't have the windows setup or recovery disks.... I bought the computer about 4 or 5 years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  15. OK it won't let me run sfc /scannow without a Windows XP disk. It says "files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now." Do I need to buy a copy of Windows XP, or just a recovery disk? Ebay has it for $10. https://www.ebay.com/i/324108673654 or I can get something called an emergency boot Disk from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=windows+xp+disk&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I don't agree with said advice,.
    Based on what?

I'm not some total newbie. I've been using computers since the 80's.
    Nonsense. You took your computer to some local "computer repair" shop. While in their "care" (ha!), they botched something (no surprise there), and your ATI card quit working. (If you had actual experience with computers, you'd had never done such a thing.) So our task is to see how deep the damage goes. But for whatever reason, you're being stubborn. "I know what I'm doing" says the person who doesn't know what he's doing. And when it comes to ATI cards, or capture cards in general, you apparently don't know troubleshooting methods. You just want to randomly install drivers, and hope for the best.

He suggests I install a program that has nothing to do with what I need.
    No.

(1) You're suggesting installing stuff without verifying the card is seen by the OS. ATI MMC is just a capture program for (some) ATI cards, not a driver, not a magic fix-all for a missing ATI card.
    (2) Again, you do not "install" VirtualDub, but unzip and launch.
    (3) In VirtualDub capture mode, you can see if the ATI card is even installed on the system. If so, it's a MMC problem. If not, the entire card is fubar.

What you're not seeing here is how ATI cards must usually be uninstalled with the uninstall utility. Then fully reinstalled. But to know if that's necessary, you need to see the status of the card.

You need to understand that I know far, far more than you do about ATI cards. (BTW, at one time, ATI referred to me for certain issues. Let that sink in.)

Anyway, he finally was helpful
    Seriously? Your attitude sucks.

I sent an email to the company
    ATI has not existed since the 2000s. AMD is not ATI, and there is almost zero support for legacy ATI products. So good luck with that. Most employees at AMD have zero knowledge of ATI legacy products.

Ebay has it for $10
    All XP on eBay are fake/not-legal copies, so don't waste your money.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 22nd Jan 2021 at 00:27.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  17. I didn't say I was a computer expert; I just said I wasn't a newbie. I've never taken a computer course. I don't know the inside workings of the computer (not much, anyway). I know Windows very well and many other programs. I've had many computers and had them fixed before, or fixed them myself when it's a software problem. I never claimed to be an expert.

The local computer repair place has helped me before. They were the ones who installed this card and software for me when I bought it 4-5 years ago. Previously, I had used the ATI TV Wonder USB, which is an external device that attached between the computer and the TV. There was no special card installation needed. It only worked with Windows 2000 or below, though, and my Windows 2000 laptop died, so I had to get a newer pc (with XP) and install the TV Wonder card instead.

We live in a very small town, so there aren't a lot of repair options.

I never claimed they were the ones that messed it up. You sure like to read what you want into what I'm saying. They fixed the first problem, which was that the computer was trying to boot up over and over again (and never succeeding). They cleaned it out because it had a lot of dust. After that, Windows seemed to work. The ATI program did not. They didn't do anything else besides clean out the dust (I asked). Now, it's possible the video card got loose during transport. Other than that, they didn't do anything AFAIK.

The ATI MMC is the program I need to make the card work. It's what I use for my site. I uninstalled it, but I don't have the original disk, so I needed the software in order to get it to work again. Then if it had installed but not worked, I would have installed the driver. Installation did not work, however. Yes, I'm going to try the things I know about first. Which is my right. And yes, I wanted to install the driver because the error message I was getting at first (before I uninstalled the ATI program) said "The TV player failed to initialize the video. Check the Windows Device Manager to ensure that the correct video driver has been installed and is working properly before attempting to restart TV." So the error message was saying, check the driver! Sometimes drivers get corrupted as I'm sure you know.

Thank you for explaining why I should install VirtualDub. No one else had done that. When I went to the link you had there, it talks about what it does, but it didn't seem to be what I needed when I first looked (I don't need anything to make the video look better). I do need someone to explain unfamiliar programs or utilities to me before I install them.

Please explain, though, why wouldn't the video card show up in Device Manager? I thought that showed all of the installed hardware.

You took "I sent an email to the company" out of context. The full sentence was "I sent an email to the company that repaired the computer." Of course I know that ATI/AMD wouldn't be helpful. I'm not the expert you are, but I have been using these ATI video Wonder things for about 20 years. in the past, I was able to get help from ATI, but that was long ago. And you're wrong about when AMD acquired ATI, too. It was 2006. I started using the ATI TV Wonder USB about 1999 and they did help me a few times with questions before they became AMD.

You can't possibly know if every single XP copy sold on ebay is fake or not. Even if it is; if it's a copy and works, then it was worth the $10 plus shipping. If not, I'm not out much.

I'm sorry you think my attitude sucks. I wasn't trying to be ungracious. I was just stating the facts as I saw them. I wasn't saying that no one was TRYING to help me, just that it wasn't helpful (as I saw it).
    Quote Quote  
  18. Quick questions:

(3) In VirtualDub capture mode, you can see if the ATI card is even installed on the system. If so, it's a MMC problem. If not, the entire card is fubar.

I did this and when I went to capture mode the screen is greyed out. Is there something I need to do to get it to look at the ATI card? I'm confused.
    Isn't it possible the card just came loose?
    I don't see anything except the regular intel card listed under display adapter.

I'm running system restore so I can get the software back to where it was and see if that might fix it. If not, then I guess the card is loose or not working.

Thanks again for your help....sorry again if I offended.
    Quote Quote  
  19. System Restore brought the ATI program back, but now it gives me this error:
    Language Resource file was not found:
    C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\tv\TVDS???.RSC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the ATI TV Wonder USB
    It only worked with Windows 2000 or below
    That may not be accurate. Which exact TV Wonder USB is/was it?

I never claimed they were the ones that messed it up.
    But ... you ... did. Whatever, moving on, blame doesn't matter...

the computer was trying to boot up over and over again (and never succeeding). They cleaned it out because it had a lot of dust.
    WTF? Dust wouldn't cause that.

I was recently building a system, and afterwards XP install hit a reboot loop. But it was BIOS settings and SATA/AHCI drivers, computer behaved when that was sorted. The CMOS battery was drained, and the XP install needed slipstreaming. That said, this has happened to me before, on an existing system -- more than once, over the years, actually -- and driver corruption, or hard driver failure, usually both together, was the cause.

But there are many issues that can cause it.
    But what won't fix it? Canned air.

They didn't do anything else besides clean out the dust (I asked).
    Then they did nothing.

The ATI program did not.
    Now, it's possible the video card got loose during transport. Other than that, they didn't do anything AFAIK.
    Maybe? But then again, if it shows up in Device Manager, unlikely.

The ATI MMC is the program I need to make the card work. It's what I use for my site.
    I know that. Again, I find your CC work admirable.
    I like MMC. I need it too! Not for CC, but the excellent MPEG encoding for AIW.

I uninstalled it, but I don't have the original disk, so I needed the software in order to get it to work again.
    Maybe, maybe not. You're assuming again.

Which is my right.
    We also have the right to drink bleach, but it doesn't make it a wise decision.

"The TV player failed to initialize the video. Check the Windows Device Manager to ensure that the correct video driver has been installed and is working properly before attempting to restart TV."
    You must realize the error message is generic and daft. Most ATI error messages are completely worthless.
    See the statement "and is working properly"? That's what the VirtualDub test is for. It will confirm if the card is working properly, outside of ATI software. So, proper scientific method.

Sometimes drivers get corrupted as I'm sure you know.
    Sure. But if you reinstall ATI drives, over a previous ATI install (good or not), odds are you'll make a mess.

Thank you for explaining why I should install VirtualDub. No one else had done that. When I went to the link you had there, it talks about what it does, but it didn't seem to be what I needed when I first looked (I don't need anything to make the video look better). I do need someone to explain unfamiliar programs or utilities to me before I install them.
    VirtualDub is a Swiss-knife software of sorts: capture, restore, basic editing.

Please explain, though, why wouldn't the video card show up in Device Manager? I thought that showed all of the installed hardware.
    If NOT in Device Manager (but I thought it was earlier?), then it could be drivers failure, OS failure, hardware failure. Given the other issues, OS failure is likely, as caused by non-ATI hardware failure (HDD, maybe RAM or CPU or PSU).

You took "I sent an email to the company" out of context. The full sentence was "I sent an email to the company that repaired the computer."
    Gotcha.
    Unfortunately, I doubt that'll end up much better. They don't seem competent.

And you're wrong about when AMD acquired ATI, too. It was 2006.
    Huh? I know that.

You can't possibly know if every single XP copy sold on ebay is fake or not. Even if it is; if it's a copy and works, then it was worth the $10 plus shipping. If not, I'm not out much.
    The point is this: you can download it just as easily as the fake seller can. But if you want to give shady criminals $10, so be it. It's a dimebag, but software.

I'm sorry you think my attitude sucks. I wasn't trying to be ungracious. I was just stating the facts as I saw them. I wasn't saying that no one was TRYING to help me, just that it wasn't helpful (as I saw it).
    Alright, understood, all is forgiven.

Quick questions:
    I did this and when I went to capture mode the screen is greyed out. Is there something I need to do to get it to look at the ATI card? I'm confused.
    Device menu > ATI card
    But if it's not even showing in Device Manager anymore, it won't be anywhere now, not even VirtualDub.

Isn't it possible the card just came loose?
    I don't see anything except the regular intel card listed under display adapter.
    Card loose, card failed, OS problems, other hardware failure impending (HDD, CPU, RAM, PSU).
    Be sure to have backups of your data.
    If the card is seated, yet the OS doesn't detect it, you likely have OS problems.

I'm running system restore so I can get the software back to where it was and see if that might fix it.
    Maybe, but doubt it.

Thanks again for your help....sorry again if I offended.
    We're good. I'm hoping we can get you back to using the ATI for your CCs.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  21. This is the TV Wonder USB that I used to use.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-TV-Wonder-USB-Tuner/333704792263

Here is what happened. I was running the transcript for a TV show. It was working. All of a sudden, the computer turned off. I went, WTF? and then it started to reboot. But then it turned off again. It was in some kind of loop. I had to unplug it. The repair guys said it was clogged with dust. Once they unclogged it, it was able to boot up. They couldn't test out the ATI function without connecting it to a TV or VCR; they didn't bother, anyway, because the main problem, we thought, was Windows not booting up correctly.

I don't have anything else on the computer. I only use it for this ONE thing. It only has Windows, the ATI program and the documents and photos I've generated from the ATI.

Did you see my other replies? The ATI card is not showing up in Device manager. When I use VirtualHub (I don't know if I'm using it right) there's a grey screen. Am I supposed to do something to tell it to look for the card?

I did a system restore, which brought back the ATI program. Now I'm getting an error message.

It does appear that the video card is not working or that Windows isn't seeing it.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by slanoue View Post
    OK it won't let me run sfc /scannow without a Windows XP disk. It says "files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now."
    Look here:
    https://www.softlay.com/operating-system/windows-xp-sp3-iso-full-version-free-download.html
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thank you! It keeps timing out on me, though. I found another one, though. I've never worked with an ISO file. Once I transfer it to my other computer, will it see it as a Windows disk, or is there something I have to do to the file? Thanks
    Last edited by slanoue; 22nd Jan 2021 at 10:50.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by slanoue View Post
    Thank you! It keeps timing out on me, though. I found another one, though. I've never worked with an ISO file. Once I transfer it to my other computer, will it see it as a Windows disk, or is there something I have to do to the file? Thanks
    No, you have to burn it to CD/DVD with g.e. ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Oh, that won't work, then. I don't have a CD burner any more. I don't even have a DVD or CD drive on my current computer. That old one has the CD/DVD drive but no burner.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Maybe a friend can burn it for you...
    Quote Quote  
  27. mount the iso to a virtual drive like Virtual CloneDrive (win10 has one built in) or open it with 7zip and extract the contents to a folder
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Maybe a friend can burn it for you...
    I don't know anyone here who would have that capability
    Quote Quote