VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, I have muxed a video file using mkvmerge. I do not want the muxed file to contain the info about the bitrate of the video and the encoding settings of the video. How do I remove that information from mkv file?

Is there a CLI argument I can pass to tell mkvmerge to not pass that information about bitrate and settings from the original file to the new muxed one?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't think that will work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why would you want to do this?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the OP trying to hide settings from potential users of his movie ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by mukeshsinh View Post
    I do not want the muxed file to contain the info about the bitrate of the video and the encoding settings of the video. How do I remove that information from mkv file?
    It is a fool's errand. Even though many utilities, like Mediainfo, merely read the heading, there are plenty of other utilities that can scan the entire file and re-create much of that information. I still use these sometimes because headers sometimes don't have the correct information.

So, if your goal is to hide something, you will not succeed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. 'encoding settings' .. TSmuxer does ... if setting ' InsertSEI' is the option which blanks the x264 encoding settings... you can demux or mux (h264 / ts) and then final remux in mkvmerge ...
    責任者-MDX
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OP is trying to hide his/her super secret special awesome only he/she knows encoding settings.

This type of questions comes up every once in a while and it always ends up being someone from the "scene" who wants to hide their settings, for whatever reason. My best guess is prrobably to prevent others from besting or using their super secret special awesome only he/she knows settings and getting their releases out first. Why does that matter? Never could figure that out! Maybe pirate street creed?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by mukeshsinh View Post
    I do not want the muxed file to contain the info about the bitrate of the video and the encoding settings of the video. How do I remove that information from mkv file?
    It is a fool's errand. Even though many utilities, like Mediainfo, merely read the heading, there are plenty of other utilities that can scan the entire file and re-create much of that information. I still use these sometimes because headers sometimes don't have the correct information.

So, if your goal is to hide something, you will not succeed.
    I know that, for starters, we can use Avinaptics to calculate the bitrate back, but the aren't the encoding settings lost forever? Is there a way to regain the encoding settings back?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sekininsha View Post
    'encoding settings' .. TSmuxer does ... if setting ' InsertSEI' is the option which blanks the x264 encoding settings... you can demux or mux (h264 / ts) and then final remux in mkvmerge ...
    Is there a software that has support for x265 codec?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Is there a software that has support for x265 codec?
    To remove all AUDs, SEI and filler from an H.265 stream:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i INPUT -c:v copy -bsf:v 'filter_units=remove_types=35|38-40' OUTPUT
    source: https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-bitstream-filters.html#hevc_005fmetadata
    btw. x265 has an option to not add the encoding settings to begin with https://x265.readthedocs.io/en/master/cli.html?highlight=--no-info#cmdoption-info
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Is there a software that has support for x265 codec?
    To remove all AUDs, SEI and filler from an H.265 stream:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i INPUT -c:v copy -bsf:v 'filter_units=remove_types=35|38-40' OUTPUT
    source: https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-bitstream-filters.html#hevc_005fmetadata
    btw. x265 has an option to not add the encoding settings to begin with https://x265.readthedocs.io/en/master/cli.html?highlight=--no-info#cmdoption-info
    Hey, thank you for helping! The --no-info flag worked like a charm.

Though the other method did not work.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i sample.mkv -c:v copy -bsf:v 'filter_units=remove_types=35|38-40' output.mkv
    '38-40'' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    Thanks again, my problem is solved now. I will pass the flag while encoding itself.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Works fine here:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "f:\TestClips&Co\files\MPEG-4 H.265\10bit Test.mkv" -bsf:v "filter_units=remove_types=35|38-40" "e:\Output\cleaned.mkv"
    you might need to update your ffmpeg version also depending on the OS, instead of ticks (') you might need to use quotes (").
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote