VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I running now Plex and Everything works great.
    But I have notice I can get sometime problem with AVI and I was thinking maybe convert the AVI to MKV and from DIVX/XVID to H.264

What I know is always give a less good quality then the original but I wonder how much and if that any good settings to make it as good quality as possible when I convert.

I like to use VidCoder so is that any good settings there to make it works??
    Or even terminal FFMPEG I can use
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Simple just use MKVToolnix. Drag and drop the avi file and pres start multiplexing button. A few minutes late you will have your MKV file. No re-encoding, no loss of quality, same size. MKV is actually a container.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Of course, simply remuxing into an MKV container doesn't change the quality. But if your device is having problems playing the AVI file it may also have problems playing the MKV file. That is, the Divx/Xvid video may use features that aren't supported by the playback device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've not had that problem with my Popcorn A-500 or my older C-200 indeed putting every video file in a MKV container has solved the few problems I've had with the Popcorn, mainly navigation on mp4, and some high rate mpeg files. The universal problem solver for me! Sometimes with older AVI or Divx running them through AVIDemux and saving to a new file can fix problems.... Anyway I'm a great believer in experimenting and trying out different options rather than mulling should I or shouldn't I
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm ok I can try, not sure if it going to work but I have nothing to loose

I just Think that Plex trying to transcode the AVI to something else to make it easy for me to see the file, that why I wonder what I can do so I do not loose to much quality of the file
    Quote Quote  
  6. What is Plex sending the video to for display? It's probably not transcoding because computers have no problem with advanced Divx/Xvid features like GMC and QPEL. But most devices don't support them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_motion_compensation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-pixel_motion

If you have to re-encode the video: First you have to figure out what containers and codecs are supported by your player device (media player built into TV, standalone media player, Blu-ray media player, DVD media player, etc.) and any limitations (bit depth, bitrate, resolution, reference frames, b-frames, etc.). Then encode with those codecs and those limitation. Commonly supported these days is h.264 and aac in an mp4 container. I'd stick with Blu-ray limitations for h.264.

You can probably get away with x264 at CRF 18. That gives pretty good quality at normal playback speed though you will see differences if you look at enlarge still frames. If you want higher quality use a lower CRF value (file size will increase). If you want smaller file sizes use a higher CRF value (quality will be worse).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ahh ok

I did try to use MKVToolnix like the netmask56 suggested and the file I did try did works greate and that did gave me a big suprise.

But to make sure I going to do that with another AVI file before I start to do that on all my AVI files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes it's worth unpacking the avi file if it is packed - avidemux will do that
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok now I have think a little and I think I going to try to convert my files from AVI to MKV and H.264
    I was thinking maybe use handbrake or FFMPEG because I have work with both of them before and I can create a script file that runs through a folder.

But I have no idea what kind of settings I can or going to use. I do not loose to much of the quality and I do not make the file bigger then the original.
    I also need to make it resolution dynamic because the file does not all have same size.

It is maybe a impossible question but is that any recommended settings I can use??
    Quote Quote  
  10. Use CRF encoding - preset depends on your patience, i always highly recommend to use HP@L4.0 as limit with enabled BD compliance, even ancient h.264 decoder should work OK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So I'm guessing the only option is to re-encode if using AVIDemux and MKVToolnix do not help? I updated Kodi from 17.6 to 18 on a Shield TV and it will no longer play any of my AVI files. No issues with Kodi 17.6. None of my AVI's have packed frames. Simply converting the container to MKV doesn't make any difference.

I have a ton of AVi files (SD) that are under 800 pixels wide. What's the best batch software option to re-encode hundreds of files without loosing quality and increasing file size if I'm forced to re-encode? Also is there anything out there that can convert the files and keep the file structure and original file names? I have a few TV Show collections with each season in it's own directory on a Windows server.

Example:

TV Show Name
    Season 01
    episode 01.avi
    episode 02.avi
    Season 02
    episode 01.avi
    episode 02.avi

Here is one of the files:
    Code:
    General
    Complete name : C:\1.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 136 MiB
    Duration : 22 min 26 s
    Overall bit rate : 845 kb/s
    Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.1.1a (build 1639/release)
    Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 1639/release

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Advanced Simple@L3
    Format settings : GMC2 / QPel
    Format settings, BVOP : No
    Format settings, QPel : Yes
    Format settings, GMC : 2 warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Bit rate : 643 kb/s
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.087
    Stream size : 103 MiB (76%)
    Writing library : XviD 0.0.09 (UTC 2003-03-25)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Format settings : Joint stereo / MS Stereo
    Codec ID : 55
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 30.8 MiB (23%)
    Alignment : Split accross interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 464 ms
    Last edited by jeffshead; 1st Feb 2019 at 15:42.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure none of them play? Hardware players have been known to balk at GMC and Qpel, which you
    can see in the file above
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Are you sure none of them play? Hardware players have been known to balk at GMC and Qpel, which you
    can see in the file above
    I haven't found one of my AVI's that plays, yet, but that doesn't mean that some other AVI's won't play.

From the info I've been able to comprehend, Kodi 17.6 used SW for files under 800 pixels wide. Kodi 18 uses HW acceleration for everything by default.
    Last edited by jeffshead; 1st Feb 2019 at 15:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. I think, for now, I'm going to go back to Kodi 17.6. I had zero issues with it and I've encountered other bugs with Kodi 18. I truly don't think 18 should have come out of beta yet.
    Quote Quote