VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all;

I've been having a hard time finding a way to get FFMpeg to sharpen only details in an image, instead of the whole frame. I need something like the "smartblur" filter (blur the input video without impacting the outlines), but one that simply sharpens the details instead of blurring everything else, which is simply ruining anything that's left and sharpening after that is making ruined data sharper.

I've tried an edge enhance convolution, but I need to get the black with white detail frames back to colour again and I don't want to use 2 passes, because I want to use a single program to do a few things. I already use FFMpeg and Virtualdub. The MSharpen 1.2.1 and UnsharpMask filters for Virtualdub do it, but I need FFMpeg to do it.

The FFMpeg docs are of little help. So what's the best way to get FFMpeg to sharpen details only?

Thanks in advance..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why you don't use ffmpeg smartblur ?

Code:
    smartblur=lr=1.5:ls=-0.25:lt=-3.5:cr=0.75:cs=0.250:ct=0.5
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Because it still blurs, even at full reverse settings.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your settings are good, but I'm not getting the same results I used to with other filters. I'll have to check out some tweaking..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MrOllyK View Post
    Your settings are good, but I'm not getting the same results I used to with other filters. I'll have to check out some tweaking..
    I use this filter in particular case so chroma (flat areas) is blurred significantly and luma (edges mostly) is slightly sharpen. Tweak settings as you wish - i rarely perform this kind of operations.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much. I've managed to get it very close to what I need.

"smartblur=1.5:-0.35:-3.5:0.65:0.25:2.0"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by MrOllyK View Post
    Thanks very much. I've managed to get it very close to what I need.

"smartblur=1.5:-0.35:-3.5:0.65:0.25:2.0"
    Well done, for me issue was speed - this filter is quite slow (single thread perhaps) - encoding speed is significantly affected.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're right about the speed, but it's still some 20% faster than VDub's MSharpen filter. I can't remember if the edge enhance convolution was faster, I think so, but I got no idea how to get the frames back to what they should be and therefore can't test the speed of the entire operation.

Something else seems to have changed in FFMpeg as well. When I used to set rawvideo and pix_fmt yuv420p, it always created YV12 files, but these days it makes some silly "I420" file that Nero shows as miscoloured. I have to set it all manually and use "shuffleplanes" to fix it. I wonder who's idea that was? I can't see I'm doing anything wrong..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by MrOllyK View Post
    You're right about the speed, but it's still some 20% faster than VDub's MSharpen filter. I can't remember if the edge enhance convolution was faster, I think so, but I got no idea how to get the frames back to what they should be and therefore can't test the speed of the entire operation.

Something else seems to have changed in FFMpeg as well. When I used to set rawvideo and pix_fmt yuv420p, it always created YV12 files, but these days it makes some silly "I420" file that Nero shows as miscoloured. I have to set it all manually and use "shuffleplanes" to fix it. I wonder who's idea that was? I can't see I'm doing anything wrong..
    Perhaps you can use different YCbCr type? - IMHO you can set different than I420 codec. Not using Nero thus can't help on this.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi,

I just asked a question about msharpen from avidemux and how to use a similar thing with ffmpeg: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392844-Moving-from-avidemux-to-ffmpeg-msharpen-and-hqdn3d Can you help me how to find similar settings I used with msharp (check other posting) with the smartblur from ffmpeg? Otherwise some good beginners guide what these settings in msharp and smartblur do would be helpfull. I got the settings from a vhs how to capture tutorial webside I found ages ago on the net.

ThXs!
    Quote Quote