VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I used avidemux in the past to convert avi (VHS captures) and used msharpen along side hqdn3d as filters. I now want to use ffmpeg also for these steps, but need help on the cmd for the filters. I use ffmpeg on windows 7 64 Bit, so syntax for windows, please. Might turn to linux as a next step, but I am not convinced that a raspberry pi is a good choice to save power. So here my settings from avidemux:

Msharpen:

Strength: 50
    Threshold: 15
    HighQuality: true
    Mask: false

I could not find a filtername msharpen on the ffmpeg side?!?

Mplayer Denoise 3D HQ:

Lumina: 4,0
    Chromia: 3,0
    Temporal luma strength: 7,0
    Temporal chroma strength: 4,5

Should be ffmpeg ... -filter:v hqdn3d=4.0:3.0:7.0:4.5 ... am I right?

Any other suggestions would be nice. ThXs!

My capture cmd looks like this:

ffmpeg -y -f dshow -rtbufsize 1500M -framerate 25 -i video="USB2.0 Grabber":audio="Digitale Audioschnittstelle (US" -s 720x576 -vcodec ffv1 -level 3 -async 1 -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 44100 out.avi
    Quote Quote  
  2. I am not convinced that a raspberry pi is a good choice to save power
    a Rasperry Pi really isn't suited for video editing unless you really don't care about the time. (Raspberry Pi+ has around the processing power of an Atom 330, so it might be okay for capturing, but personally I would not use it for video editing)

I could not find a filtername msharpen on the ffmpeg side?
    ffmpeg has different* ways to sharpen content, but are correct there is no msharpen.
    (*like using: smartblur, convolution, unsharpen, convolution_opencl, unsharp_opencl, fftfilt, see: https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html)

Mplayer Denoise 3D HQ:

Lumina: 4,0
    Chromia: 3,0
    Temporal luma strength: 7,0
    Temporal chroma strength: 4,5

Should be ffmpeg ... -filter:v hqdn3d=4.0:3.0:7.0:4.5 ... am I right?
    yes
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the answer! As I understand the msharpen does a light edge sharpening. Does anyone with more experience know which of the ffmpeg sharpening filters work the same or even better way?

The recording is heavy on the hdd speed side, so that is why this step is not done on a raspberry pi. The conversion with the filtering would be fine if it does take longer, but does not need more power through to the longer time needed for processing. The filters seem to slow down the conversion step, so hdd speed should not be the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just found this application: https://ffqueue.bruchhaus.dk/Default.aspx Seems to be a good frontend where I could make a preset with my settings and than use it to batch convert my raw video to mp4 with my filters. Has anyone used it or can approve that it is a good tool? Seems to be a good option for me as it is both windows and linux compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aheisele View Post
    which of the ffmpeg sharpening filters work the same or even better way?
    Maybe Convolution: https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#convolution
    Or Unsharp: https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#unsharp-1
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry, had not much time the last month to test. I am currently checking out these settings:

"-filter:v "hqdn3d=4.0:3.0:7.0:4.5, pp=hb/vb/dr/fq|8""

as nlmeans seems to take way to much time with ffmpeg and hqdn3d alone does not have the same result as avidemux with it and the msharpen filter.

The convolution seems to crop all details and only highlight the edges? So the picture is gone and it looks more like a hand drawn picture?!? My understanding for msharpen with my settings is that it pushes the details at edges and nothing more?!?

The pp settings are from a forum posting somewhere (lost link, sorry). I did not test it for long time because the poster wrote post processing does take long time like nlmeans.

Does anyone know what exactly these settings do and/or a way to use hqdn3d with an edge enhancing filter to test this setup?

At the moment I test with a 2 min sample video and extract a png picture at 16 seconds. That way I can look at avi original and the processed version.

Thanks for the answers so far!

(Someone suggested NUL in Windows instead of /dev/null from linux, but I do not get it to work with 2 pass encoding, so I delete the mp4 video from the 1 pass for now.)
    Quote Quote