VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, this is my first post here. Looks like a great site.

I have an old Hitachi BZ-BD10HA video camera set to record at 1920 x 1080 HD. It saves everything in MTS format which none of my video editing software seems to be able to handle coherently. I am therefore converting everything to MP4/MV4 format using handbrake.

I'm not sure what I should have the handbrake settings at. Right now the "Presets" are at Fast 1080p30, with some of the following settings: FPS 30 with the (Peak Frame Rate) Radio button selected, the (encoder preset) slide bar is set in the middle, and the "Constant Quality" radio button is selected.

I am primarily interested in a quality conversion, rather than speed. I have listed my computer specs in my profile. It's a recent intel machine I put together with some of the latest and greatest equipment. As of 9 months ago, that is.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try just remuxing to MP4, rather than reencoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Try just remuxing to MP4, rather than reencoding.
    Thank you for your answer. Can I remix with Handbrake? I've looked over the docs on how to do that and can't seem to find anything regarding it. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong Place? Thanks...
    Last edited by Boracho; 14th Jun 2018 at 10:31. Reason: Spelling
    Quote Quote  
  4. No. HandBrake always encode the video.

Use something like ffmpeg

Code:
    ffmpeg -i SourceVideo.mts -codec copy Result.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't think handbrake can remux. Try AviDemux. It handles more than just AVI. Set audio and video to "copy", format to MP4.

If a simple remux works for you it will be much faster than reencoding. And there will be no loss of quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't think handbrake can remux. Try AviDemux. It handles more than just AVI. Set audio and video to "copy", format to MP4.

If a simple remux works for you it will be much faster than reencoding. And there will be no loss of quality.
    Thank you for the heads up! I have hundreds of MTS files and this will save me a lot of time. Does remixing result in the same high quality that re-encoding does? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    No. HandBrake always encode the video.

Use something like ffmpeg

Code:
    ffmpeg -i SourceVideo.mts -codec copy Result.mp4
    Thanks for the link and the command line command too! Appreciate it.
    Quote Quote