VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all. I recorded a video with Lineage 2's ingame recorder. The avi file is 1.7GB (21.33 minutes). When I first opened it in WMP only the first 1.5 minutes played. Weird! I opened it in VLC and it temporarily fixes the index problem and I'm able to play the whole file but I have yet to find a way to permanently fix this. When I tried BandiFix and Remo Repair they both said the file didn't need repairing. I tried to record it in VLC after the index file was repaired but the quality is terrible. DivFix hung up on trying to check for errors. I tried convert/save in VLC and ffmpeg but they both start 1.5 minutes into the video, the file size is reduced by about 696MB, and the sound is out of sync (meaning the sound starts at the very beginning of the vid). This really has me stumped. This video has sentimental value and I'd really like to permanently fix it. TIA.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think VirtualDub has some sort of index fixer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps a mediainfo (text view) of the AVI would be helpful;
    at least provide some more details about the file
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Perhaps a mediainfo (text view) of the AVI would be helpful;
    at least provide some more details about the file
    Here's the mediainfo text view.

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\rhian\Desktop\Lineage II Stuff\L2 Movies\Aden Revisit\Capture 2018-06-08 Revisit Aden castle with Dreacke.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile : OpenDML
    File size : 16.4 GiB
    Duration : 21 min 33 s
    Overall bit rate : 109 Mb/s
    Writing application : BandiCaptureLibrary 2.1, Aug 12 2015 (Licensed to: NCSOFT_LINEAGE2_20100420)

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : JPEG
    Codec ID : MJPG
    Source duration : 20 min 30 s
    Bit rate : 103 Mb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 051 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.85:1
    Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.704
    Stream size : 15.5 GiB (95%)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings : Little / Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 411.2 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 218 MiB (1%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 10 ms (0.29 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 3099 ms
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I think VirtualDub has some sort of index fixer.
    Just tried Virtual Dub. It restored the missing index which is 1.5 minutes, but stops there and doesn't play the remaining 20 minutes of the file.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps there is something else wrong with the file.
    I created a test MJPG avi file, chopped off the end of index in a hex editor.

Opened the file in Virtualdub2 and video/scan stream for errors
    verify that you can scrub to the end of the file. If it's good set video to direct stream copy
    file/export/stream copy
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps there is something else wrong with the file.
    I created a test MJPG avi file, chopped off the end of index in a hex editor.

Opened the file in Virtualdub2 and video/scan stream for errors
    verify that you can scrub to the end of the file. If it's good set video to direct stream copy
    file/export/stream copy
    Ok, I'm good figuring out some things but this one has me a bit lost. I read somewhere about the index hex file but it was greek to me. How exactly do I do this?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Found a good youtube vid where he uses HDX to open up the bad avi file and a good one as a reference. Then he finds a corresponding line in each file and copies the lines in the reference to the bad index file, takes it into virtualdub and does the direct stream copy thing. Doing it now. I have nothing to lose. Got backups of the original. I'll let you know how it goes.

UPDATE: Didn't work. I copied everything above this line (LIST´*û?movi01wb) in the ref file and copied it to the bad. Arggg!
    Last edited by rhiannonj; 12th Jun 2018 at 14:15.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In VD2, go to 'Video>Scan video stream or errors...' After the scan, look to the bottom of the VD2 screen and the errors are shown.
    Usually, 'O feames masked (0 frames bad, 0 frames good but undecodable', if there are no problems.
    Scrub by moving the time slider through the video to the end.
    If OK, save the video in Direct stream copy with the preferred format. 'Flile>Export>Stream copy'.

The HEX editor will just give you some numbers and letters. Not easy to interpret. And the file can be very long.
    Someone else can probably explain about the index file there.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    redwudz is right, I only used/mentioned the Hex editor because I purposely created a file
    with a damaged index to simulate your situation. Did not mean to infer you use it yourself!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    In VD2, go to 'Video>Scan video stream or errors...' After the scan, look to the bottom of the VD2 screen and the errors are shown.
    Usually, 'O feames masked (0 frames bad, 0 frames good but undecodable', if there are no problems.
    Scrub by moving the time slider through the video to the end.
    If OK, save the video in Direct stream copy with the preferred format. 'Flile>Export>Stream copy'.

The HEX editor will just give you some numbers and letters. Not easy to interpret. And the file can be very long.
    Someone else can probably explain about the index file there.
    Did the above but didn't see any errors at the bottom. The vid starts 1.5 minutes in and the sound starts at the beginning. When I scan for errors it seems to skip a lot of frames. So frustrating!

Update: did another scan (I had forgotten to turn on report errors.) It says "0 frames masked (0 frames bad, 0 frames good but undecodable. But it still starts 1.5 minutes into the file.

The only way I'm able to view the whole file is via VLC and going thru that temp index repair.
    Last edited by rhiannonj; 12th Jun 2018 at 16:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You could screen record your vlc playback.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You could screen record your vlc playback.
    Scott
    Tried that and the quality was terrible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Shouldn't be, as long as you set the encoding properties properly.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shouldn't be, as long as you set the encoding properties properly.

Scott
    Where do I do that? What should they be set to and should they be set prior to rebuilding the index and before recording?
    P.S. It's the audio that is messed up, not the video. There's this awful buzzing sound and it lags at times.
    Last edited by rhiannonj; 13th Jun 2018 at 12:39.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Have you tried DivFix++? Pretty good at building indexes.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Have you tried DivFix++? Pretty good at building indexes.
    Tried that, it didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know where to go from here and am about ready to give up. No word from this yet:

"Shouldn't be, as long as you set the encoding properties properly.
    Scott
    Where do I do that? What should they be set to and should they be set prior to rebuilding the index and before recording?
    P.S. It's the audio that is messed up, not the video. There's this awful buzzing sound and it lags at times."
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    why don't you post the whole file to a file hosting site and perhaps one of our members will
    take a look at it. A long shot perhaps, but better than the progress made otherwise
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    why don't you post the whole file to a file hosting site and perhaps one of our members will
    take a look at it. A long shot perhaps, but better than the progress made otherwise
    Don't know where I can upload it. The file is 16.4GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It was hard to understand just what you meant before (very elliptical and confusing).

Were you able to view the whole program ever? With VLC after re-indexing?
    Was "bad quality" refering to video or to audio? or both?

Don't obfuscate bad playback quality (issue with the source, player) with back re-encoding quality (issue with the process/settings, codec, user, etc).
    A screen recording can be set to give you exactly what's playing back. If it can play back good quality in VLC, record that. Then you have a non-corrupt version.
    For detailed screen recording options, I use OBS these days. Match the video framerate, audio samplerate, color system. Give it equal or better bitdepth compared to the source. IIWY, I'd use a lossless codec option for video & audio, and then if you later want to create a highly-compressed (AVC or HEVC) MP4, you can do a CRF encode and give it exactly the quality you find acceptable.

If you could never play back some form of the clip without issue, you're probably screwed.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  22. VLC has an export feature. Look under the Media menu for "Convert/Save." So, bring the bad video into VLC and then export it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I have always used Avidemux when I have come across an avi with 'broken index' issues.
    Open the file in Avidemux. Leave 'Video Output' and 'Audio Output' settings to 'Copy'. Click 'File' then 'Save'. Give the file a name then click 'Save'.
    The resulting file should have it's index repaired and play without issue.
    Last edited by jonas more; 16th Jun 2018 at 09:14.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was hard to understand just what you meant before (very elliptical and confusing).

Were you able to view the whole program ever? With VLC after re-indexing?
    Was "bad quality" refering to video or to audio? or both?

Don't obfuscate bad playback quality (issue with the source, player) with back re-encoding quality (issue with the process/settings, codec, user, etc).
    A screen recording can be set to give you exactly what's playing back. If it can play back good quality in VLC, record that. Then you have a non-corrupt version.
    For detailed screen recording options, I use OBS these days. Match the video framerate, audio samplerate, color system. Give it equal or better bitdepth compared to the source. IIWY, I'd use a lossless codec option for video & audio, and then if you later want to create a highly-compressed (AVC or HEVC) MP4, you can do a CRF encode and give it exactly the quality you find acceptable.

If you could never play back some form of the clip without issue, you're probably screwed.

Scott
    Yes, after VLC rebuilds the index the video plays fine, both audio and video.

When I record the playback after re-indexing that recorded version is when the buzzing in the audio occurs and the video lags at times. What is OBS? I don't know where to find this to match the video framerate, audio samplerate, color system and give it equal or better bitdepth compared to the source. Nor do I know how to create a highly-compressed (AVC or HEVC) MP4 OR a CRF encode to give it the quality I like.

Sorry I'm such a noob.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OBS = Open Broadcaster Software. It is often used for streaming (to Twitch, etc) but is equally adept at screen recording.
    You should already know about your media's info from MediaInfo, so take that knowledge to use for those settings.
    Your playback & recording pass will create, if you follow my suggestion, a totally new temp file that is HUGE because it is losslessly compressed. Then take that and use one of many apps mentioned here for the final conversion, of which there are many helpful tutes, demos, examples. Things like Handbrake, MeGui, Hybrid, or even CLI tools like ffmpeg. If you want, after, you could delete the temp recording file.

And if you are new, this a good place to learn about such things. No need to be sorry.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jonas more View Post
    I have always used Avidemux when I have come across an avi with 'broken index' issues.
    Open the file in Avidemux. Leave 'Video Output' and 'Audio Output' settings to 'Copy'. Click 'File' then 'Save'. Give the file a name then click 'Save'.
    The resulting file should have it's index repaired and play without issue.
    I tried Avidemux. When I open the file I get a runtime error.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OBS = Open Broadcaster Software. It is often used for streaming (to Twitch, etc) but is equally adept at screen recording.
    You should already know about your media's info from MediaInfo, so take that knowledge to use for those settings.
    Your playback & recording pass will create, if you follow my suggestion, a totally new temp file that is HUGE because it is losslessly compressed. Then take that and use one of many apps mentioned here for the final conversion, of which there are many helpful tutes, demos, examples. Things like Handbrake, MeGui, Hybrid, or even CLI tools like ffmpeg. If you want, after, you could delete the temp recording file.

And if you are new, this a good place to learn about such things. No need to be sorry.

Scott
    Thanks Scott. I'll give that a whirl later but holy moly you aren't kidding that lossless quality creates a huge file! 7gb per minute! This file is 21.5 minutes long. YIKES! Not enough room on my HD. Might have to try recording in a different format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    7 x 21.5 = ~150GB. How small is your drive?!
    Space is still fairly cheap these days (BBuy has 1TB drives for $50). Don't skimp.

And BTW, in the grand scheme of things those actually aren't that big - it's not like we're talking 4k or higher, or stereo3d, or 32bitHDR, or other raw format.

Plus, I don't quite know where you got that number.
    1920 x 1080 x 16bits (422yuv) x 30fps ÷ 2x average compression is around 500Mbps or ~3.7GB/minute, or around half your figure.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    7 x 21.5 = ~150GB. How small is your drive?!
    Space is still fairly cheap these days (BBuy has 1TB drives for $50). Don't skimp.

And BTW, in the grand scheme of things those actually aren't that big - it's not like we're talking 4k or higher, or stereo3d, or 32bitHDR, or other raw format.

Plus, I don't quite know where you got that number.
    1920 x 1080 x 16bits (422yuv) x 30fps ÷ 2x average compression is around 500Mbps or ~3.7GB/minute, or around half your figure.

Scott
    My drive is 810gb and I have 187gb free. I'm not going to spend money on another drive to perhaps fix this vid. I got that number when I went into OBS and changed the output recording to lossless and it gave me that warning. I need to take some time and delete a lot of "stuff". Most of it is screenshots and captures from a game I play.
    Last edited by rhiannonj; 16th Jun 2018 at 20:08.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just wanted to update this old thread of mine. A friend told me about AVIFix. It's a part of the Dxtory video capture software package. He sent me the separate AVIFix.exe file and it repaired all of my corrupted avi files. Just wanted to pass this along.
    Quote Quote