VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A few months ago, the good people at this forum gave me a basic understanding of how to deal with repeated frames (in videos recorded from capture cards).

Typically, I am able to use either AviSynth text script or the program 'Hybrid'.
    Since I only have a basic understanding, I will typically use these settings in the respective programs:
    AVISYNTH:
    Code:
    a=LSmashAudioSource("C:\Capture\AVISynth\Capture.mp4")
    v=LSmashVideoSource("C:\Capture\AVISynth\Capture.mp4")
    AudioDub(v, a)
    TFM(slow=2)
    TDecimate()
    HYBRID:
    I know enough to change the "Cycle" & "CycleR" value when I notice any change from "5" in the repeated frame pattern.

However, I just came across an abnormal frame repeat behavior.
    Throughout most of the video, there is a clear repeat of the 5th frame.
    But then there are two scenes I caught, where the 3rd frame repeats.

And I'm being very specific when I call these "scenes".
    The abnormal pattern occurs only within these scenes.
    When those few scenes complete, the film reverts to the typical 5th frame repeat.

So when I use either AviSynth or Hybrid to process the video...the majority of the video looks perfect.
    But those scenes where the "3rd frame repeat" occurs looks awful.

The problem is that I can't really discern a fixed pattern as to when the "5th frame repeat" turns into a "3rd frame repeat".
    As I said, it occurs within a few "scenes" scattered within the film.

So I was wondering...is there any program or setting I could use to deal with brief interruptions to the repeat pattern?
    Last edited by jaibubwan; 23rd Mar 2018 at 00:27.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jaibubwan View Post
    So I was wondering...is there any program or setting I could use to deal with brief interruptions to the repeat pattern?
    Automatically? Maybe not. You can interpolate frames or use override files to delete the different frames. However, better would be for you to provide a sample of what you're writing about, in case I or others misunderstand what you're saying.

For example, I can't tell when you write, "But then there are two scenes I caught, where the 3rd frame repeats." if you mean there are duplicate frames in addition to the usual ones every 5th frame or instead of the usual ones every 5th frame .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by jaibubwan View Post
    For example, I can't tell when you write, "But then there are two scenes I caught, where the 3rd frame repeats." if you mean there are duplicate frames in addition to the usual ones every 5th frame or instead of the usual ones every 5th frame .
    What I mean is "instead".
    • As if the guy who produced the video decided: "We're about 20 minutes in. I'm bored! I don't want the 5th frame repeating anymore!"
    • So he decided: "Hey! Here's a new action scene in the movie. Let me switch it up, and have only the 3rd frame repeating!"
    • Then he changed his mind: "Okay, 6 minutes of that was enough. I'm gonna revert back to the 5th frame repeating...that was much better!"
    • But then: "Well, I'm bored again. Here's a dinner scene. Let's stop that 5th frame repeat thing. For no reason, let me try that 3rd frame repeating thing again!"
    • And finally: "Okay, that really does suck! For the rest of this movie...I'm gonna stick to only the 5th frame repeating!"

It sounds absolutely ridiculous.
    But it's the only logical scenario I can imagine of why someone would just randomly change up the frame repeat pattern in a movie.

Unfortunately, I deleted the source video after converting to x265.
    But I'll have a chance to record similar content this weekend.
    Pretty sure I'll see this problem again, and I'll be sure to preserve the source.

But I was hoping, in general, there would be a solution for this kind of situation.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jaibubwan View Post
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by jaibubwan View Post
    • As if the guy who produced the video decided: "We're about 20 minutes in. I'm bored! I don't want the 5th frame repeating anymore!"
    • So he decided: "Hey! Here's a new action scene in the movie. Let me switch it up, and have only the 3rd frame repeating!"
    • Then he changed his mind: "Okay, 6 minutes of that was enough. I'm gonna revert back to the 5th frame repeating...that was much better!"
    • But then: "Well, I'm bored again. Here's a dinner scene. Let's stop that 5th frame repeat thing. For no reason, let me try that 3rd frame repeating thing again!"
    • And finally: "Okay, that really does suck! For the rest of this movie...I'm gonna stick to only the 5th frame repeating!"

It sounds absolutely ridiculous.
    But it's the only logical scenario I can imagine of why someone would just randomly change up the frame repeat pattern in a movie.

Unfortunately, I deleted the source video after converting to x265.
    But I'll have a chance to record similar content this weekend.
    Pretty sure I'll see this problem again, and I'll be sure to preserve the source.

But I was hoping, in general, there would be a solution for this kind of situation.

It's probably not purposefully done that way.

A more common explanation would be a "film" source that was deinterlaced instead of ivtc'ed (instead of 23.976, you have 29.97 with 1 duplicate frame every 5 frames). But the location of that duplicate frame in the sequence might have changed because of edits (e.g .commercial breaks, commercial inserts, etc...Unless you pay attention to every 5 frame cycle boundary, you're going to interrupt a cycle). Your observation of it changing per scene, but same within the scene is consistent with that explanation

That tdecimate filter is adaptive and should handle that type of changing pattern, but sometimes you have to adjust some of the settings to look at a larger "window", or thresholds to detect what is a duplicate
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jaibubwan View Post
    Then a standard IVTC (or only the decimation part), perhaps with minor modifications from the default settings, should be able to handle it easily. Again, though, a sample from the source showing the problem (10 seconds of steady motion) will be needed.
    Quote Quote