VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Ok, if those 2 files look different to each other, that just means your playback configuration is ignoring the full range flag

That "pale" version is actually how it's supposed to look out of the camera - that's the reason for recording full range during acquisition. There is more detail in the shadows and brights - you can see more leaves for example in your screenshots that you can't in the "non pale" version. The full range flag tells the playback device or software to look at "all" the data 0-255 when converting to RGB for display - so you see all the data from 0-255 instead of just 16-235 in Y or 16-240 in U,V . In other words , there is data that you are not seeing in the "non pale" version

What you actually do with it afterwards is another topic - for example you can increase the contrast, etc.... But that is the main reason for recording full range - so you have more usable data to manipulate later. In fact, since you have access to all the data, you can more carefully apply color correction, so both the contast is increased, and you don't clip the data (you'll be able to see the leaves and other details, yet it won't look as pale). What is dangerous, is some programs that do not decode it full range means you've lost that data even before manipulating it, so you cannot even correct it. For example, older versions of tmpgenc did this (convert using standard range RGB before any other operations), not sure what the current version does

You probably don't care about how to do it correctly and just want it like the original go pro file, am I correct ?
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 17th May 2015 at 08:31.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'll try to give you instructions for a ffmpeg , and then more detailed step by step instructions for a batch conversion later on. It might be possible to use one of the GUI's like tencoder or ffqueue by adding the custom commandline arguments.

The reason for using ffmpeg and libx264 instead of x264.exe, is ffmpeg can process audio and mux simultaneously, whereas the "vanilla" x264 versions can only do video (you need to do audio and muxing in separate stages)

Right now the batch is using 1 pass ABR at 12Mb/s as you wanted, at default setting that you can adjust it if you want, or maybe change it to CRF encoding

The generic way to encode full range for these files (using 12000kbps) would be

Code:
    ffmpeg -i INPUT.MP4 -pix_fmt yuvj420p -vf scale=w=-1:h=-1:in_range=pc:out_range=pc -c:v libx264 -b:a 12000k -x264opts colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709 -c:a copy OUTPUT_FULL.mp4

The generic way to scale to limited range for these files (using 12000kbps) would be

Code:
    ffmpeg -i INPUT.MP4 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vf scale=w=-1:h=-1:in_range=pc:out_range=tv -c:v libx264 -b:a 12000k -x264opts colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709 -c:a copy OUTPUT_LIMITED.mp4

To do this as full range in a batch

1) download ffmpeg , place a copy of ffmpeg.exe in the folder of files to be converted

2) open a text file with notepad in the same folder, copy & paste the following, save it, change the extension from .txt to .bat . e.g batch.txt to batch.bat

Code:
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -pix_fmt yuvj420p -vf scale=w=-1:h=-1:in_range=pc:out_range=pc -c:v libx264 -b:a 12000k -x264opts colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709 -c:a copy "%%~na.new.mp4"

pause
    3) double click the .bat file

A re-encoded copy (audio is stream copied) with the appended name "new" will be made. Original video will not be overwritten e.g. file.mp4 will generate file.new.mp4 , file6.mp4 will generate file6.new.mp4, and so forth for all the files in the folder.
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 17th May 2015 at 08:36.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I'll try to give you instructions for a ffmpeg , and then more detailed step by step instructions for a batch conversion later on. It might be possible to use one of the GUI's like tencoder or ffqueue by adding the custom commandline arguments.

The reason for using ffmpeg and libx264 instead of x264.exe, is ffmpeg can process audio and mux simultaneously, whereas the "vanilla" x264 versions can only do video (you need to do audio and muxing in separate stages)

Right now the batch is using 1 pass ABR at 12Mb/s as you wanted, at default setting that you can adjust it if you want, or maybe change it to CRF encoding

The generic way to encode full range for these files (using 12000kbps) would be

Code:
    ffmpeg -i INPUT.MP4 -pix_fmt yuvj420p -vf scale=w=-1:h=-1:in_range=pc:out_range=pc -c:v libx264 -b:a 12000k -x264opts colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709 -c:a copy OUTPUT_FULL.mp4

The generic way to scale to limited range for these files (using 12000kbps) would be

Code:
    ffmpeg -i INPUT.MP4 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vf scale=w=-1:h=-1:in_range=pc:out_range=tv -c:v libx264 -b:a 12000k -x264opts colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709 -c:a copy OUTPUT_LIMITED.mp4

To do this as full range in a batch

1) download ffmpeg , place a copy of ffmpeg.exe in the folder of files to be converted

2) open a text file with notepad in the same folder, copy & paste the following, save it, change the extension from .txt to .bat . e.g batch.txt to batch.bat

Code:
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -pix_fmt yuvj420p -vf scale=w=-1:h=-1:in_range=pc:out_range=pc -c:v libx264 -b:a 12000k -x264opts colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709 -c:a copy "%%~na.new.mp4"

pause
    3) double click the .bat file

A re-encoded copy (audio is stream copied) with the appended name "new" will be made. Original video will not be overwritten e.g. file.mp4 will generate file.new.mp4 , file6.mp4 will generate file6.new.mp4, and so forth for all the files in the folder.

Hello again , I am really appreciated for your help : ) I need some more time to learn about new programs to encode which you suggested (honestly so many things I need to learn all about encoding which you just mention above lol) I am realized that I 'm such a beginner seems I don't understand anything well I will try to do follow your instruction.

Urm seems I'm totally lost. Ok take it easy, first I need to download programs you suggested then understand some of structure then just copy all code you quoted in the comment right ? then I need to combine video and audio in another program am I correct ?

I'm so sorry to waste your time but I totally learn all encoding from my trying and experience from the website. Didn't get through it in deep detail.
    So I need some time to understand about those stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, just follow the steps 1-3 at the bottom of the post . If it isn't clear to you just ask

Try it out on a single, small file in a folder first, then examine the output file to see if it's what you expect, before wasting time on a large number of files. For exmaple, you might want to adjust some settings (maybe bitrate too low, quality too low etc..., ,maybe you want to try CRF encoding etc....)
    Quote Quote