VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Converting a file from .RMVB which is 310 MB to MP 4 using Aimesoft Video Converter, and the size of the converted MP 4 file is 680.0 MB?

Doing this because ConvertXtoDVD does not take .RMVB file,kinda an irony,since the program is "suppose" to take in any format......LOL
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by niteghost
    Help Me Understand?
    Short answer: things are much more complicated than you think

Long answer: you still have some tons of reading to do, and you could start at https://www.videohelp.com/glossary
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure convertxtodvd doesn't support rmvb? Tried choose open all files?

Or try avstodvd and import the rmvb and make a dvd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No need to LOL - there is NO program that takes in EVERY format. Why would you be fooled into thinking there was?

Simple answer about the 1st part is the 1st formula of media files: FILESIZE = BITRATE * RUNNING TIME

Your source file is 310MB (aka 2480Mb). Let's pretend it's running time is 1 hour (aka 3600 sec). 2480 = X * 3600. Solving for X = 2480/3600=0.6888Mbps.
    Assuming your same title has the same running time in the 2nd/target portion (it should), 680MB (aka 5440Mb) works out to 5440/3600 = 1.51Mbps.

Different format, different efficiency, (likely) different settings, different bitrate=different filesize. No surprise at all.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 24th Apr 2015 at 16:40.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by niteghost View Post
    Help me understand
    In simple terms: every time you want to convert a compressed video the originally compressed video is uncompressed first and then this uncompressed source is compressed again.

Unfortunately current codec technology is generally not smart enough to reuse previously encoded information in new transcoded material, they usually completely start from scratch (e.g. 100% decompressed courses).

Of course that's totally inefficient but that is the state of the art in compression world. Present day codecs are so inflexible that you cannot even remove a few frames or crop a video without a complete transcode. Luckily some advanced engineers start thinking about things like using meta data to provide more flexibility in editing but for instance the simple concept of abstracting video dimensions, orientation, levels and up to a certain extent color spaces in the meta data is way above the state of present day codec development.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by niteghost
    Help Me Understand?
    Short answer: things are much more complicated than you think

Long answer: you still have some tons of reading to do, and you could start at https://www.videohelp.com/glossary
    Yeah,unfortunately where I download the .RMVB file,ConvertXtoDVD does not take it, that is why the added "xtra" work and I have to Re-Compress the file to fit 7 episodes on a DVD-5
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    No need to LOL - there is NO program that takes in EVERY format. Why would you be fooled into thinking there was?

Simple answer about the 1st part is the 1st formula of media files: FILESIZE = BITRATE * RUNNING TIME

Your source file is 310MB (aka 2480Mb). Let's pretend it's running time is 1 hour (aka 3600 sec). 2480 = X * 3600. Solving for X = 2480/3600=0.6888Mbps.
    Assuming your same title has the same running time in the 2nd/target portion (it should), 680MB (aka 5440Mb) works out to 5440/3600 = 1.51Mbps.

Different format, different efficiency, (likely) different settings, different bitrate=different filesize. No surprise at all.

Scott
    There are all 44 mins each on the running time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @newpball,
    Again, not true. Example: Restream & DVDShrink have been able to do MPEG2 transcoding (using compressed transform passthrough, aka NOT FULLY DECODING) for ~14 years.
    There ARE plenty of I frame codecs that allow you to remove frames (without re-encoding).
    There are codecs that allow you to crop.
    There are other codecs that have other types of flexibility.

What you don't seem to understand is: YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL. And certainly, not even MOST, without some other compromise. Choice of codec is often based on prioritizing your compromises in line with your ultimate intentions. The tripartite constraint and the adage "you can't have your cake and eat it too" is quite common in the information field. Try to grow up and learn something. Unfortunately, until you are illuminated, my guess is you will continue to impotently point blame elsewhere (such as engineers).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    niteghost, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    What you don't seem to understand is: YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL. And certainly, not even MOST, without some other compromise. Choice of codec is often based on prioritizing your compromises in line with your ultimate intentions. The tripartite constraint and the adage "you can't have your cake and eat it too" is quite common in the information field. Try to grow up and learn something. Unfortunately, until you are illuminated, my guess is you will continue to impotently point blame elsewhere (such as engineers).
    I know what engineers can do when pushed the right way!

However they will never excel in a stuffy old environment where conservationism , job security and nostalgia rule over innovation and excellence!
    Quote Quote