VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! I�m new to this forum and a newbie translator. I have downloaded a couple of .mkv films which work very fine to watch on my new tv via my external hard drive. When I watch the films this way, however, the subtitles aren�t visible, but when I watch them on my pc via Media Player Classic the subtitles work fine! (Unfortunately I can�t play the films via my pc due to the fact that it misses the facility of an HDMI interface).

This is the case in about 9 out of 10 films. However, I got really surprised when I watched Green Zone, also a .mkv film, because there the subs work fine. What may be the problem?

I have used mkvmerge GUI and carried out 10 merges with different settings with nothing as a result. Does anyone have an idea what may be the problem?

Curious as a cat with 9 lives left

Kjell

Sweden
    Quote Quote  
  2. Many TVs and other media players cannot play embedded subs. You have to extract them as separate files with the same base name. For example:

My Movie.MKV
    My Movie.SRT

There may also be limitations on the type of subtitle files the TV/player supports embedded, or not.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your quick answer. I'll go to the tv manual and look, maybe that mention something about this.

If I chose to extract a sub file from a film and name it properly as you suggest, is it then enough if I put it in the same mapp as the .mkv video file?

Kjell
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by stargazer500 View Post
    If I chose to extract a sub file from a film and name it properly as you suggest, is it then enough if I put it in the same mapp as the .mkv video file?
    Same folder? Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again, jagabo and everybody else!

Due to a lot of trial and error on my behalf, I've been away from the forum for a while. I did as you, jagabo, suggested and put the srt file outside the mkv file, but inside the folder, and gave it the same name (exept .mkv of course). That didn't work either.

So, in mkvmerge GUI.exe, I tried to remove the three sub files, eng, spa and fre, that were there in the first place, just in case they would confuse the reader in my tv and miss the srt file in the folder. That didnt work, because mkvmergeGUI suddenly decided to go not willing on me and lock it self. So I reinstalled it with zip zero result and realised I had to remove the mkvtoonix for good.

Does anyone know of any similar software to mkvtoolnixGUI?

In addition to this I have also, according to an advice from a neighbour forum, changed the attached .srt-file in question from the original UTF-8 format to ANSI format and put in the same folder as the .mkv file, but that doesn't help either.

Just for your info I have a Samsung 40" Full HD, 3D ready. I'm going to the Samsung site to see if there's any information there...

I will be greatful for any suggestions of any kind in this matter...

Best Regards/Kjell of Sweden
    Quote Quote