VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    New guy here, first post...

I purchased a Canon VIXIA HF G10 camcorder due to it's low light capability. My main application is video recording bands playing live. I added an Audio-Technicia PRO 24-CM microphone.

Now that I have a top-notch camcorder, the PIXELA software that came with my Canon VIXIA HF G10 is not giving me all the editing features I need (it's prolly a light version). And the Windows Live Movie Maker on my computer is very limited. I have an older version of Roxio Creator which I feel was a huge mistake purchasing because it is user UN-friendly; at least to me.

To expound on what I am trying to do... edit the audio of 4½ hours of a live band playing. I have distortion on the highs and lows of the sound spectrum. I monitored this video with headphones while recording it. There was not any distortion in the room or on the headphones. Reviewing this 4½ hour video has a disappointedly different result.

If I cannot edit the audio files with video editing software, I may need to remove the distorted audio track and clean it up with a dedicated audio editing software, and return the corrected audio track to the video.

On another note, I have 6 hours of video with the Audio-Technicia PRO 24-CM microphone of live bands playing without distortion; using the same camcorder settings.

I need advice on what to do.
    Thanks in advance.
    JB
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use dedicated video editing software which have audio tools e.g. sony vegas ( it actually started out as an audio editor with no video functionality)

If you are not planning any video editing, then you can demux with tsmuxer, use an audio editor, then remux the audio back with tsmuxer

You can use free audio editor e.g. audacity, or something commercial like soundforge, audition, goldwave
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/audio-editors
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know of any audio editor that can remove distortion, but you could filter it with a audio editor like the freeware Audacity and maybe get some improvement in the audio. What is the final format, audio and video, going to be?

You can probably demux the audio with tsMuxeR, then combine it back later. You could try AviDemux for a simple video editor.

And welcome to our forums.
    EDIT: What poisondeathray said.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks for your HELP ! ! !

As far as video editing software, all I have is PIXELA, Windows Live Movie Maker and Roxio Creator. Roxio and I do not get along very well and the others are limited. I do need some "user friendly" video editing software with more capabilities than what I have. If possible, to have audio editing features also. I have not looked at the Sony Vegas and will consider it.

As for Audacity, I have that and used it before, not on videos. I imported the video into Audacity and it would not play anything. I haven't a clue what the audio file is on the video. All I know is the video file is a Canon AVCHD and has a .MTS extension. I do not have a way to separate the audio from the video, but that is what I was thinking I needed to do; to see if Audacity could repair it.

As far as the distortion, I am certain it is on the highs & lows only. There are small parts without booming bass and high notes that sounds perfect.

Again, I am appreciative of your trying to help.
    JB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jesse_Bolt View Post
    I haven't a clue what the audio file is on the video. All I know is the video file is a Canon AVCHD and has a .MTS extension. I do not have a way to separate the audio from the video....
    Use AVIDemux. Open the video file, change the audio dropdown to PCM, open the "Audio" menu, and choose "Save", then save as .WAV.

The problem with these camera mics is that you're feeding a good signal into a crappy recorder. For live music you need a limiter so the mic doesn't get overloaded, and a compressor to attack, and squash, transient peaks.

If I were you, I would consider a Zoom H1 as a camera mounted recorder, or a Zoom H2 that you can keep in your pocket and still use the mic you have now. It's more hassle, but the results will be far superior.

The Zoom H2 can record "4 channel stereo" which is basically a 360 degree recording. Then later, in your audio software, you can EQ it and overdub to recreate the live experience, instead of the flat sound you have now.

Anyway, hey, why don't you post a sample?
    Last edited by budwzr; 13th Sep 2011 at 13:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    From what information I can find from MediaInfo, the video from the camcorder to the SDHC card is format BDAV, video codec AVC, audio codec AC3. There is a link that comes up to x264 pertaining to the video codec.

I cannot load the video on tsMuxeR. I guess I need to separate the audio file from the video, which I am unable to do at this point.

Loading the video on Avidemux says it looks like mpeg and ask if I want to index it. Answering no - cannot open the file. Indexing it - H.264 detected. From that point, I have to allow Avidemux use another safe mode which causes stuttering. There is not anything I can do in Avidemux to improve on what has become worse.

Thanks for the Sony Vegas suggestion. Looking at the Sony software site, there are several versions offered. Given my quest for good audio editing capabilities, which one would you recommend? Some seem better than others.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware

Or would I be better off with separate video editing and audio editing software?

Using a separate audio recording device is an excellent idea. Especially when I want the best sound possible. Looking at the Zoom products, the H2 has a longer recording time, AC power option and utilizes SD cards. Plus the option to plug it into a sound board at a concert. Having a second audio track may be the way to go.

Here is a sample of three video clips I am hoping to repair (or clean up) the audio tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2n36pSqV4U

I am appreciative of the advice as I am on a learning curve. Venturing around the Video Help site is proving to be a valuable resource. This is an excellent forum; not a lot of nonsense here.
    JB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Loading the video on Avidemux says it looks like mpeg and ask if I want to index it. Answering no - cannot open the file. Indexing it - H.264 detected. From that point, I have to allow Avidemux use another safe mode which causes stuttering. There is not anything I can do in Avidemux to improve on what has become worse.
    That's normal dialog for AVIDemux. Answer yes to everything, then change the audio to PCM and save it using the audio tab in the top menu.

It's vital that you learn AVIDemux. You've got to use it.
    Last edited by budwzr; 17th Sep 2011 at 10:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looking at the Sony software site, there are several versions offered. Given my quest for good audio editing capabilities, which one would you recommend?
    Vegas IS an audio editor too, and supports VST plugs, as well as the usual audio tools.

Myself, I use Ableton and Sound Forge for all my audio because I need to use MIDI too. Ableton DOES have the necessary mastering and compression tools you definitely need.

I'm going to take the audio from that YT clip and work some magic on it, to help you get enthused.

EDIT: No luck, that distortion is too much! You had the mic gain set too high.
    Last edited by budwzr; 18th Sep 2011 at 09:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looking at the Sony software site, there are several versions offered. Given my quest for good audio editing capabilities, which one would you recommend? Some seem better than others.
    They all have the basic functionality you need at this point in time. Get the cheapest one, and if you like it, and stick with it, and use it, you can always upgrade later.

Make sure the version you get is eligible for the upgrade path. They have some kind of "suite" for beginners, don't know if that upgrades to regular Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I monitored this video with headphones while recording it. There was not any distortion in the room or on the headphones.
    Assuming that your headphones were monitoring the recording device, the loudness of the room noise was likely masking your ability to hear exactly what was being laid down on your camcorder's audio tracks. I have a feeling you had the automatic gain control (AGC) enabled on your VIXIA-- which is always a bad idea when recording live music.

On another note, I have 6 hours of video with the Audio-Technicia PRO 24-CM microphone of live bands playing without distortion; using the same camcorder settings.
    The best live recordings are made through a combination of tapping directly into the sound board, then mixing those tracks with audio taken from ambient/audience mics. So, yes, you should consider adding a separate digital audio recorder to the process.

In terms of user friendliness of timeline video editors, you're going to have to demand more of yourself if you are serious about doing this right. If you can't master something as consumer-friendly as the Roxio software, you're going to have trouble with superior software. There's no getting around the fact that you will need a timeline editor to synchronize and mix audio from more than one source.

Sony Vegas is a very good choice, and there are tons of tutorials online to help you master it.

As for your current audio situation, the distortion is mostly at the low end of the spectrum. It can certainly be improved with equalization. Not a whole lot can be done about clipping on the high end, but EQ tweaks can help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, if anybody was able to make that audio passable, would you please clue me in to your technique?

The only thing that helps is overdubbing the whole thing.

This video reminds me of my childhood, and our garage band. It sure was fun, although we never got any gigs. Probably because we sucked! Hahaha
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hahaha, that's funny. Every recording session is different.

Does your camera have a level meter? How about the mic battery? Is it good?
    Quote Quote