VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a Sony LBT-GTZ4i . It has 2 USB ports on the front where I can hook up an ipod or usb stick. I would like to be able to hook it up to my pc via usb so I can play music on the pc to the stereo. I bought a USB cable that is type A to type A, so I can plug them into each other but I can't get it to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Edit
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 2nd Aug 2011 at 18:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Won't work. It can see a USB drive device or an iPod. If you want to hook up your PC you have to use the analogue audio in port (probably a standard 3mm headphone jack).

My guess is that the manual will tell you this as well, but reading seems to have gone the way of the dodo.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've read it, and yes there is an analog port for PC in. But, if the stereo can see an ipod then it's not technically impossible that it could see a PC. Even if there was a hack to emulate an ipod or USB stick, or some other way. I just wanted to know if someone else has ran into this and found a solution. It's frustrating that I could hook up my PC via USB to my stereo from like 7 years ago, but I can't hook it up to a brand new one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know it is a linux forum, but it takes you through all the things you would have to do to make your computer appear to be a USB client device : http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/turn-a-computer-into-a-usb-or-...device-218039/

This is why we have DLNA.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It sounds like you are tryign to engineer a complicated solution to a simple problem. If you just want to listen to the songs stored on your PC, run an analog cable from the audio line/headphones out of the PC to the stereo's AUX in. I use to have this setup: I had a TOSLINK cable running from my PC to my stereo. Most PC sound cards have a Coax SPDIF OUT. Does that stereo have an Coax SPDIF in, if yes then you could run digital from PC to stereo with a regular RCA cable, but you will have to control the playing of the files from the PC.

If you want to control all the play features from the stereo, go buy a 16GB USB memory stick for $20 and put all your music on it. This way you don't have to hook your PC up to the stereo. If your files are huge or lossless then get a cheap 250GB USB HDD and plug it in to your stereo.
    Quote Quote