VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i am very new to all of this. i would appreciate if someone could answer me this.

i am about to (try) and setup a wireless network at home.
    firstly i have a netgear (a/b/g) wireless adsl modem router which i am using with my
    laptop HP Pavilion DV9260US.all of this is working fine.

i would also like to have an internal network and have purchased a
    D-Link DIR 655 N router
    D-Link 643 Xtreme N Notebook Express Card
    D-Link Range Booster wireless DWA-140 adapter

my question is if i cable connect my netgear adsl modem-router to the D-Link DIR 655 N router
    can i maintain my present internet wifi connection using my laptops internal (G) wifi card simultaneously operating an internal network thru the dir 655 router and the 643 express card
    and the d-link 140 usb adapter connected to my wdtv live.
    would there be any conflict.
    even if this is all possible i have no idea at that point on how to go about setting it up bhut first things first.

like i mentioned i am very new to this so forgive me if i havnt explained my self properly.
    any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Connect the new router to the old one with a LAN connection, not the WAN one. Then the new router should act as a switch and pass on the data. The new router should be able to output a signal on the 'N' band. You do have to be careful not to use the same LAN addresses on both routers or you will have conflicts. You can set up the old router with fixed addresses and use different fixed addresses with the new router.
    Quote Quote  
  3. hi
    many thanks for the speedy reply. i am really happy to know that i can use both the internal laptop wifi card and the express card wifi adapter at the same time.

i have read somewhere that ( i will have to search it out again)
    if there are conflicts in the addresses i can modify them by cable connecting my computer to one or both of the routers to change it. is that correct?
    many thanks for your assistance
    Quote Quote