VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I am using Adobe Audition's Noise Reduction feature to try remove some very distracting noise from my audio files, but I am having problems completely removing all the noise without degrading the primary sound. I attached a clip of the hiss/noise I am trying to remove. The first part of the clip is the original noise, the second part of the clip has some of the noise removed via Noise Reduction in Audition and the third part of the clip was applied the Noise Reduction again. There is a gurgling sound (for a lack of a better word) after applying the Noise Reduction, but the more you capture a piece of the noise and apply it to the clip the more it downgrades the audio I want to preserve. Can this noise be removed? I have also tried using Sony's Sound Forge, Audacity, and even Magix Audio Cleaning Lab, but I get the same results. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. What is the "primary sound" in that clip? or the stuff you want to keep? All I hear is noise. Is there some hidden easter egg or something like "where's waldo ?"
    Quote Quote  
  3. This is the noise only. The primary sound is talking. I only included the original noise, and the Noise Reduction processed twice. The point of clip is display the "gurgling" noise after processing the Noise Reduction to the first part of the clip. I hope this makes sense.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You need a sample with noise and the stuff you want to keep to distinguish the frequencies that you want to keep vs. discard.

Otherwise I could process it and it would be silence. (I did, and it was "perfect"... i.e. all the noise was gone)

NR *always* degrades the audio. The more frequencies that overlap between the wanted parts and unwanted parts, the more distortions you are going to get

I hope that makes sense
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can fix that -- not a problem.
    But I don't work off noise prints, I need a sample file with audio, to see if damage is being done to the left frequencies.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You need a sample with noise and the stuff you want to keep to distinguish the frequencies that you want to keep vs. discard.

Otherwise I could process it and it would be silence. (I did, and it was "perfect"... i.e. all the noise was gone)

NR *always* degrades the audio. The more frequencies that overlap between the wanted parts and unwanted parts, the more distortions you are going to get

I hope that makes sense
    Yes, that does make sense. I appreciate the response and the input. How would you suggest go about fixing this with as little degrading as possible?

Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I can fix that -- not a problem.
    But I don't work off noise prints, I need a sample file with audio, to see if damage is being done to the left frequencies.
    I'm relieved to hear that it can be fixed, but I would like to learn how to do it myself if that is possible. I have many files with that kind of noise and I will need learn how to process those and clean those up myself. I would appreciate any suggestions you have to offer and I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You still need to share a sample that can be fixed before anyone can say "yes, this fixes it"!

Without even downloading it, I'd suggest Sony / Sonic Foundry NR-2 as a decent denoiser - better than Audition's. There are several others.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote