VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7
FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yah, it was an incredibly bad idea of including the "s" file in with the other *.bin. Philips is going to get a bunch of dead 5982's returned to them for that one. Or sued if people catch on, and they've done this outside of the warranty.

I'm not sure what the specific problem is to the DTS 5.1 files I'm trying to play. Maybe it's the way they've been packed. I used Autogordian knot to take them apart and repack the files with an mp3 codec and it works fine. I still get some video stuttering on some files though. I don't think it's the player now. I think (again) it's the way some of the video files have been put into the container.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tercero
    Yah, it was an incredibly bad idea of including the "s" file in with the other *.bin. Philips is going to get a bunch of dead 5982's returned to them for that one. Or sued if people catch on, and they've done this outside of the warranty.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After reading that alot of people have had trouble upgrading their firmware, I read that "5-5" on the remote gives the file name that on the player already. So when I burned my disk to update my firmware I only included the file that "5-5" gave me. It worked first time, with no problems-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not sure what the specific problem is to the DTS 5.1 files I'm trying to play. Maybe it's the way they've been packed. I used Autogordian knot to take them apart and repack the files with an mp3 codec and it works fine. I still get some video stuttering on some files though. I don't think it's the player now. I think (again) it's the way some of the video files have been put into the container.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have had the same problem with Autogordian knot & video stuttering . I think the issue is interlacing, you have to deinterlace the video. It's worked a few times.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tercero
    So when I burned my disk to update my firmware I only included the file that "5-5" gave me. It worked first time, with no problems
    At what point of time after the player turned ON you entered "5-5" on its Remote Control (how did you enter dash)? Were did you see the firmware version - on the DVD Player Setup page on your TV Screen, or on a small LCD screen of the Player itself? Does anyone know, what letter "S" of the firmware file actually means - Spanish?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Press 55 on the remote while the tray is open. The filename will appear on the tv screen.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just wanted to throw up another personal report:

philips dvp-5982, orig firmware (not updated, after reading the trails, i'm staying away)
    panasonic th-42px60u (42" plasma, 1080i/720p)
    coolmax CD-311 (usb2, esata, firewire - avail @ frys $50)
    samsung SV1204H (120GB, IDE, this drive is OLD)

no problems with compatibility of the hdd with the dvd player. plays xvid, divx, mpg very well. some codec issues, of course. no wmv. haven't tried vob but assume no. formatted hdd fat32 with swissknife. make sure you delete all old partitions (logical and extended, if present) when you format.

definite poor mans home theatre. wish i had a bigger hdd laying around.

can easily recco this dvd player for those value shoppers. excellent bang/buck with the usb. i don't use 1080p (i swear, i cannot see the diff between 720p and 1080p), but for under $100 i doubt this player can be beat.

/1st post, long time lurker
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by stoneycase
    i swear, i cannot see the diff between 720p and 1080p
    I wouldn't expect to when watching upscaled DVD on a 1024x768 plasma display.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by stoneycase
    i swear, i cannot see the diff between 720p and 1080p
    I wouldn't expect to when watching upscaled DVD on a 1024x768 plasma display.
    lol

i mean i can't see the diff when watching 720p/1080p on a 1080p tv. friends have lcd and plasma, 1080p. plasma looks nicer, some diff noticeable. on the lcd, no difference b/w 720p and 1080p when watching hddvd.
    Quote Quote  
  8. any luck with WD passport 250GB and the 5982 player?
    Quote Quote  
  9. While I like this player for dvd playback, I'm having some usb problems. While playing mp3's the unit freezes up totally, can even turn it off. This usually happens while using the remote to navigate either up or down to next song, just navigate in general. Tried removing the usb stick, info is still displayed on screen, still froze. This has happened twice on 2 different memory sticks. BTW, movies and pic played fine off the stick. I have the current firmware. Any suggestions, thank you, Doug
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry if this is off topic. have a WD MYBOOK 5982 plays divx/xvid perfectly except on some files it will stop before end of movie (stop symbol displays on screen) and moves on to the next movie in the directory

was wondering if that might be an encoding issue, as i have never encoded the movies my self, all files are either divx or xvid having a hard time finding a guide to reencode from one to the other or one to the same
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought mine last Sunday from a "big brand store" , everything works fine until I tried upgrade the firmware 3 days ago.
    I followed their instruction precisely. (I use both BIN files, because the instruction said burn the files from Zip to CD) But no luck, the machine is dead.
    The latest firmware (.43) probably have bugs in it. It's strange that it works for some people (but not me and some other unlucky one).
    I am going to exchange mine, and won't upgrade firmware until philips fix this problem in a new release.
    Anyway, Philips is stupid, obviously its going to get a bunch of dead 5982's returned to them.
    Quote Quote  
  12. It may have been earlier in this thread or somewhere else, but I remember someone saying you should burn only one of the files to the CD, even though Philips' instructions say to burn both.

<edit>
    Here it is: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic324555-150.html#1798124

Read that message and some of his others around that date.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I too tried upgrading the firmware. Like the others, I followed the directions and included both .bin files. The readme file stated it should take 3-5 minutes for the upgrade. After a few minutes, the TV screen went blank and the player just said "LOAD". 30 minutes later, I assumed that it finished because nothing changed. The unit was unresponsive so I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Nothing. The unit was dead.

I'm getting a replacement and will follow the posts on here and only include the non-s bin file.

I really don't want to waste another CD-R on this if I don't have to. Does anyone know if the player can upgrade its firmware via the USB port (and a thumb drive)?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jsmitty
    I'm getting a replacement and will follow the posts on here and only include the non-s bin file.

I really don't want to waste another CD-R on this if I don't have to. Does anyone know if the player can upgrade its firmware via the USB port (and a thumb drive)? :?:
    I don't think so. But a CD-RW should work. I've used them 2 or 3 times on my 5960.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just got the replacement. I notice something different than the first one I got.
    When I press keys ‘5,5’. got the file name of the software installed in the player.
    the old one (dead): DVP5982_37.bin
    the new one (replacement): DVP5982S_37.bin

when I press keys 1,3,7,9 to see the firmware ver.
    the old one (dead):V37.07.32.40
    the new one (replacement):V37.07.56.22

But the only ver available in philips is V37.07.32.43
    I saw that some people over www.avsforum.com has the same version as I do. I think I better don't touch the firmware for now. don't want to return it again.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own DVP5982 and want to purchase a external HDD, I was looking at the Western Digital My Book Essential 2.0 WDH1U3200N 320gb and was wondering before I purchase this, is it compatible? I have a few flash drives and only one is compatible, I don't want to waste money on something that isn't compatible.

Does anyone have knowledge about this drive and DVD plaer?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. https://forum.videohelp.com/topic301465-510.html

just be sure the drive isn't also eSATA & Firewire ,looks like the players likes USB only no combo HD
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know I am a day late and a dollar short for this thread but I am hoping there will be someone to help me. I have read through this thread and I may have missed the answer to my question. I just purchased the dvp5982 upscaling dvd player. I am able to us the USB drive with my 1gb lexar and PNY jump drives. I have a WD passbook 120gb external hard drive. I plugged it up and I didn't get anything (NOT even a "not recognized). I then decided I would buy a couple of 4gb jump drives and decided on the kingston data traveller. I can see the drive being hit when I put it in but nothing. They are Fat32 formated. I originally thought that it was the size of my external that was the problem, but I have read on here where others use drives larger than mine with success.

Can someone please help?!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thumb drives often come with some hidden partitions and softare like this:

http://software.u3.com/interstitial.aspx

You have to remove the software and hidden partition, and reformat as FAT32.

The 5982 seems to be very picky about FAT32 partitions and what program formatted them. If the drive ever had multiple partitions or NTFS on it the 5982 seems to get confused, even if the drive is repartitioned and reformatted. Using SwissKnife to do the partitioning and formatting seems to work for most people.
    Quote Quote  
  20. passport will not work.i own the 2.5" 250gb model and I have the same issue.The passport is based on the a laptop hard drive,usb on the dvd player doesn't supply enough juice to spin the plats inside the passprt.3,5"external drive with AC adopter will work fine
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo,

This is a new thumb drive. I right clicked and reformatted the thumb drive but the 5982 is still not reading it . I just got a 4gb stick of transcend and I had no problem.

Thanks MJ BTW I ordered a 500gb iomega the other day. Do you know if it will work with this player?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Lady D
    This is a new thumb drive. I right clicked and reformatted the thumb drive but the 5982 is still not reading it .
    That may be a case where the U3 software is installed on a hidden partition. If so, you need to uninstall the U3 software and partition/format with SwissKnife. XP's built in format utility may not be enough to get it working with the DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The U3 software has an uninstall and reformat option available to you on the stick. Use that and they work just fine after that. I've got two and had to do it to both of them. I hear there's a new version of the philips called the 5990, I'm going to search this forum for some information. I've also had issues with dolby 5.1 on the 5982 and will have to consider doing the upgrade.... but first I'm going to read all of those links and avoid making a doorstop out of my player.
    Quote Quote  
  24. yes it should work.just be sure to format the hd to fat 32.

update.

looks like the 5990 can power the pasport since the USB is 2.0,not 1.1 like the 5982.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic351069.html

Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    I picked one up yesterday at Wal-Mart for $55. While I was there, I checked their USB drives. They had a USB 2.0 250 GB, 2.5" drive mis-priced for $89.00. I picked it up, obviously.

I formatted the drive when I got home with Fat32 using CompuAppps SwissKnife. It won't read NTFS.

I did the region hack listed above.

This thing read right off the USB 250 GB drive, getting its power from the DVD player. It played everything I had put there so far (about 80 GB worth of stuff in various formats, DVD, VOB, XVID, DivX, WMA.

$150 for the level of convenience is pretty sweet, IMHO. I still want Popcorn Hour for the HD in living room. But, this is awesome for what it does.

EDIT:
    There is a new firmware for DVP5990/37 at Phillips. It further enhances USB communication between the devices. I haven't had any trouble, but I updated it anyways. Everythign is working fine. The manual states that it can only read up to a maximum of 300 folders and 648 files on the USB drive. I am loading this thing up and will test that statistic by doing a chkdsk <drive>: and look at the counters. I'm at about 200 foldes and 370 files so far.

One thing I haven't figured out yet - is how to make the drive display alph descending. Right now, it is backwards for my taste and I don't see how to change this. Foldersort, a freeware app, apparently solves this - but the links are broken.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was the 250GB that you purchased a passport? My passport when I purchased it was fat32. So, this 5990 will read my passport (get enough juice from the player). If this is the case I will go and buy that one. I just purchased the 5982 last week unaware that there was a newer one. I need several in different rooms but I want them to be able to utilize my external hard drives. I don't want a bunch of flash drives everywhere trying to delete and copy files all the time! YUCK!!

Another problem I am having is that I thought this player 5982 would play the movies on my ipod. I have a 160 GB classic. I can see the folders but when I hit ok, there's nothing in the folders.

Folders that show up on the ipod are:

ipod_control
    Calendars
    Contacts
    Notes
    Recordings
    Photos

All of these appear empty but are not empty. I have about 40GB of movies, photos and music on this ipod.

thank you all for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  26. yes the WD is the passport "USB 2.0 250 GB, 2.5" " passport is 2.5".

about the Ipod question I can't answer that since I don't own anything made by apple.

apple free house.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Well fwiw I have been using a 40Gb laptop drive in a Generic 2.5" case with the 5990 and it gets enough power from the 5990 to operate fine. The USB2.0 works well enough that I'll be using externals with the 5990. With the 5982 everything was slow on externals. Loading a avi took a while, FF and Frev past 4x were bad and high bitrates stuttered. With the 5990 all those complaints are solved. Many of my WMVs play in the 5990. 5982 they don't play.

Apple Ipod not showing the files doesn't surprise me as they may be mp3s for music or apples file format. When you have the Ipod hooked up to your computer, open My computer and browse the Ipod. I don't have one here and do not recall where the music (Video) is stored. Look at the extension of the video files.

The 5990 for example shows MP4 files however when I tried one it only played the audio and no Video. The 5982 didn't.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by conanada
    I might take the 5982 back and try the new Pioneer, they tell me it has USB 2... so we'll see. I'll keep y'all posted.
    I don't believe that the Pioneer 400V or the 410V have USB 2.0 At least I have not seen that confirmed anywhere. Someone mentioned on Amazon that the USB 2.0 capability might be activated with a firmware upgrade, but I have not been able to find anything further.

On a more relevant note, this thread seems to be contradictory to the general notion that divx/xvid playback is a problem on USB 1.1. I only found one very relevant post that indicated that there was only a problem with xvid/divx with bitrates over 3000. This would seem to apply more to VOB files than divx/xvid. Most of my divx/xvid are between 800 and 1500.

Somebody else had also indicated in this thread that "you'll probably find that USB 1.1 is sufficient for most of your Divx/Xvid files."

So it seems that choppiness attributed solely to USB 1.1 is a myth or at least unsubstantiated? Would that be the correct summary of this thread?

I also found out that this was posted in AVS forums:

"The decoding chipset has a maximum input bit-rate of 15Mbits/sec, only slightly more than the USB1.1 limit. I suspect the USB hardware/interface is exactly the same as with the 5960, which truly is adequate for almost anything one generally throws at it, and seems not to be the cause of occasional stuttering etc on this player."

There are contradicting findings here:
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/831013
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/832139/?start=40

Is the problem because of USB 1.1?
    Is the problem because of packed bitstreams?

I am confused now.

My external drives are all powered so I don't really care about the power issues with USB 1.1. I realize that there is a new Philips 5990, but I have yet to see a confirmation that it uses the mediatek 1389xx. Moreover, I am equally interested in the Pioneer 400V/410V, but haven't seen too many comparisons (at this price point, it seems like Philips and Pioneer are the best options for a divx player with 1080p upscaling capability). Someone had posted a comparison in this thread between the 5982 and the 400V and the sole difference seemed to be fast forwarding capabilities through USB. If the 5990 does not use the mediatek 1389xx chipset, a refurbed 5892 or a 410V may still be my best option.

As a further side note, mods may want to extricate the discussions about the "popcorn hour" and "flashing issues" or change the title.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    N/A
    Quote Quote