VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some help please. It's a weird problem that I need some experts advice. I have two burners, my Lite-On and Benq DW1640. On my Lite-On using dvdshrink 3.2 and anydvd, I can't backup my legal copy of an old movie, but with the Benq I can. I have the latest firmware on the lite-on LL06. Why would this happened? I also have Region Free uitility for lite-on that i converted to. Does my Lite-On have a problem, or setting that i'm not doing? Thanks all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry forgot to show you the error I get.

DVDSHRINK encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Failed to read file.
    Copy Protection error, the read failed because the sector is encrypted.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mn072065
    Sorry forgot to show you the error I get.

DVDSHRINK encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Failed to read file.
    Copy Protection error, the read failed because the sector is encrypted.

Thanks again.
    Use Ripit4me to rip the files first which incorporates DVD DECRYPTER, DVDSHRINK & FIXVTS. I doubt there's something wrong with your LITEON 20x dvd burner. Try using Ripit4me and see what happens then report back here with your results.

http://www.ripit4me.org/download.html

http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html

http://download.videohelp.com/FixVTS/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The point is how come I can use the Benq burner with no problem and get the error with Lite-On. Is there a setting I need to change. I have used Ripit4Me but all i'm trying to find out if the Lite-On burner has problems or has anyone had problems like this before. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If I'm understanding you correctly I don't think what you're describing is all that unusual. No two drives (even of the same make/model) will perform exactly the same when it comes to reading and error correction capabilities. You said it was an old movie which may have diminished readability due to micro-scratches, residue, you name it. What you describe is one of the advantages of having multiple drives.

At least one of the drives reads it fine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had similar DVDShrink problems with Pioneer and NEC drives, and running DVDDecrypter first and then DVDShrink has always worked which means budz suggestion should work since Ripit4me incorporates those programs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone, I'm new here & wanted to ask a question about problems I'm suddenly having with DVD Shrink. I did a search to see if anyone else had reported the same error and found this thread. In my case the error:

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.

Failed to read file D:\

Copy protection error - the read failed because the sector is encrypted.

has only just started to appear on my PC. I haven't changed the burner or anything with my operating system (that I am aware of anyway!) & have the most recent version of AnyDVD installed. I've been using AnyDVD & DVD Shrink on this machine for about 18 months with no problems then suddenly I get this error for almost every disk I put in it. I've experimented with loading the same versions of AnyDVD & DVD Shrink on my machine at work and also a friends machine and they are working fine with disks that are being rejected on my PC.

Can anyone shed any light on what might have gone wrong or anything I can do to rectify the problem please?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Talk about resurrecting an old thread....
    DVDShrink hasn't been updated for a couple of years, so use the latest version of DVDFabDecryptor to rip your files to your hard disk instead.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've been trying to burn a dvd with mine as well and it quits in the finalizing stage - using two different programs - dvd flick and arcsoft showbiz 2... it will burn a audio and data cd however... but no luck with burning a dvd -

i'm out of warranty by 3 months -

any suggestions on something i can do to see if it's the burner or the software i'm using?
    thanks, John

i am using maxell dvd+r discs - when i insert the disc it shows up on "my computer" as a cd
    i inserted a dvd and it showed up as a dvd-ram drive in "my computer" but i couldn't get any sound when i played it

this has me thinking the drive is bad??
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try IMGBurn to see if that helps, and try upgrading firmware if that's not been done. You might also try Verbatim or Taiyo-Yuden media since Maxell is not good media.
    Quote Quote  
  11. dvd flick has img burn in it as part of the program - it burns the dvd

that is when i got the error - can't remember exactly - something about no address - i saved the log but i'm not around my home computer right now to see

thanks for the heads up on maxell - odd that a name such as maxell wouldn't be good media
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might try a different firmware. I have a LiteOn SHM-165P6S that wouldn't reliably burn Playo +R (fake MCC004, cheap media too) with latest firmware, but flash back to next latest firmware burns same cheap media without problems. BTW I also get best SL burns with Smart Burn disabled as well.
    Quote Quote