VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How good are MP4 camcorders?
    I'm not sure if that's the correct name!
    I'm referring to the very smal lightweight ones... that store the video on an SD card for example.

What I want to do is records video for the web.
    The video quality does need to be good - I don't want anything grainy or not as good as if I recorded from a conventional camcorder.

The biggest display would be 320 x 240 - but also possibly bigger.

Just looking for some feedback before I buy and try!

Thanks.

OM
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have three different Aiptek models and have had decent results with them. My most recent one is a model IS-DV2 (as shown on the packaging). The model shown on the camera itself is DZO-V5T. Features: video (640x480 @ 30FPS max, 4x digital zoom), stills (3mp resolution, 6mp interpolated), digital voice recorder, mp3 player, webcam, and USB drive/SD/MMC reader.

The packaging cites "S-VHS Quality in the Palm of Your Hand," which seems about right. The video wouldn't be confused with the output of my 30gb Panasonic camcorder, but for internet use, it would probably be good enough.

Aiptek has some higher-resolution models, reviewable at www.aiptek.com.

As always, "quality" is in the eye of the beholder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The last MP4 video camcorder that I had my hands on was an Aiptek (15fps, 620X480 at best, jerky in all situations), not close to the Panasonic AV devices at 15 fps; nowhere near my current JVC MC200 (DVD quality), or DVD (or HDD) camcorders. Felt cheap, fragile; and I did have time to play with those side-by-side before committing to sell the Aiptek.

The newer offerings (30fps @ 640X480) look much better. I recently saw a Samsung that warranted a look.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote