VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guys what is normally the length of a minidv battery before you need to get a new one? I have had my mindv for about a year and it seems the battery doesnt charge fully anymore. Than again maybe it does, its just that the minidv lcd use to say 60 min for a fully charged battery now it is saying 30 or 40 min. What you think it might be?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When I buy a digital camera, I always get a second battery at the same time. They do wear out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What battery technology?

NiCad declines over two years and has the memory issues.

NiMH decline over ~3-4 years without memory issues

Lithium Ion
    Permanent Capacity Loss versus Storage Conditions
    Storage Temperature 40% Charge 100% Charge
    _0 °C (32 °F) 2% loss after 1 year 6% loss after 1 year
    25 °C (77 °F) 4% loss after 1 year 20% loss after 1 year
    40 °C (104 °F) 15% loss after 1 year 35% loss after 1 year
    60 °C (140 °F) 25% loss after 1 year 40% loss after 3 months
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery#Guidelines_for_prolonging_Li-ion_battery_life
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's worth reading http://www.batteryuniversity.com/ - a whole website dedicated to information about batteries - especially the most common rechargeable formats.

There's debate about whether NiMH do or don't suffer from the memory problem.

I came across this site last week when trying to find out how to revive a 10-cell NiCd battery pack for an underwater video light. The pack had sat in storage for over 6 years. Following the advice on the above site, I have successfully revived the battery pack to an almost as-new condition (saving many $$$ in the process).

The site has a section about Li-Ion longevity:

Prolonged battery life through moderation

Batteries live longer if treated in a gentle manner. High charge voltages, excessive charge rate and extreme load conditions have a negative effect on battery life. The longevity is often a direct result of the environmental stresses applied. The following guidelines suggest ways to prolong battery life.

-The time at which the battery stays at 4.20/cell should be as short as possible. Prolonged high voltage promotes corrosion, especially at elevated temperatures. Spinel is less sensitive to high voltage.

-3.92V/cell is the best upper voltage threshold for cobalt-based lithium-ion. Charging batteries to this voltage level has been shown to double cycle life. Lithium-ion systems for defense applications make use of the lower voltage threshold. The negative is a much lower capacity.

-The charge current of Li-ion should be moderate (0.5C for cobalt-based lithium-ion). The lower charge current reduces the time in which the cell resides at 4.20V. A 0.5C charge only adds marginally to the charge time over 1C because the topping charge will be shorter. A high current charge tends to push the voltage into voltage limit prematurely.

-Do not discharge lithium-ion too deeply. Instead, charge it frequently. Lithium-ion does not have memory problems like nickel-cadmium batteries. No deep discharges are needed for conditioning.

-Do not charge lithium-ion at or below freezing temperature. Although accepting charge, an irreversible plating of metallic lithium will occur that compromises the safety of the pack.

Not only does a lithium-ion battery live longer with a slower charge rate; moderate discharge rates also help. Figure 5 shows the cycle life as a function of charge and discharge rates. Observe the improved laboratory performance on a charge and discharge rate of 1C compared to 2 and 3C.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The battery is a JVC BN-VF707U 1.5 Hour, it says also it is a 700mAh rechargeable lithium-ion cell.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I buy a new camcorder battery every year or so so that I have a mix of fresh and semi depleated stock in the case. Periodically I test the old batteries by playing tapes until the battery goes dead and then mark the battery with minutes.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote