VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have an NEC3550 (Master) and Philips8701(Slave), both 16x. The NEC always reads/burns slower by a few minutes. Sometimes in 'Shrink it will indicate it's reading/shrinking signifcantly slower (46 minutes versus 15 min. in Philips drive). Both show in DMA mode.
    Don't know if this matters, but NeroTool shows System ASPI corrupted (WNASPI32.DLL and ASPI32.system, version 4.71), but the NERO ASPI was fine (WNASPI32.dll version 2.0.1.74).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It may not have anything to do with whether they are slave or master, it may just be the burner itself reads/burns slower. No easy way to check but to change their jumper settings and cable position.

Do they each indicate the burn speed they are using is the same? A few burners reportably seem to work better in the master position, but I have never noticed much difference myself. I can understand read speed differing between drives, but burn speed should be very similar.

I'm not sure about the ASPI layer, though it probably would be better to repair it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The NECs are riplocked, at least my 3500 is. They read retail discs slow, but are fast with DVD-R. You can remove the NEC riplock with hacked firmware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Would "riplock" make large seemingly random, large fluctations in reading dvds? Or just the regular, slightly slower read/write?

I'm not sure if the aspi is the issue since my computer does see both burners. I was hoping someone might know for sure before I start fooling around with it.
    Whatever software I use shows the write rate (which varies slightly) depending on what I set it for. I have no control over the read/shrink rate, but software does show the rate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The riplock would be the large difference in retail DVDs. Some manufacterers limit read speed of retail discs to discourage copying. You should be able to find firmware to remove the riplock at CD Freaks. It will void the warranty if there is one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I originally was having burn complications, but switched burner master/slave locations, so I don't want to change it again. Also the "slow" NEC drive is in the Master spot, so it should be fast by default. I was wrong - it also burns slower, too. It reads both retail & dvd-r slower, so it might not be riplock. Also the read speed picks up. Both drives are DMA mode (I had to change the register because one of them was only in PIO). Using Home (Media) XP.
    Quote Quote