VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The popular home theater channel is 5.1 right now. However, I have seen 6.1 and 7.1 channel. Is 7.1 better than 6.1 and 6.1 better than 5.1 and why? Does 7.1 channel mean requiring 7 speakers?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes 7 speakers, plus the subwoofer. The 7.1 adds 2 middle speakers with a normal 5.1 set. I have also seen another subwoofer to the rear as well. Not sure which is better...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    actually 7.1 adds two REAR surrounds - the side surrounds were supposed to be already there ....

7.1 is no better than 5.1 really unless you have a really large home theater (in which case you can also just add multiple dipole or direct surrounds anyway) .. there are very few films which use 7.1 really (even if they claim so)
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    two subwoofers are used in a lot of setups because with two - you can cancel out room nodes (with careful placement) ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote