VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have srt subtitles that I need to display on top of the Chinese subs hardcoded into an avi. Is there a way of converting my subs into something that could be displayed with a black bar behind - to cover the Chinese characters? Perhaps a sub/idx file with a BG?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is technically possible, yes, as subtitles are just images. I'm not sure of what tool to use, tho...

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi-

I don't know if this is what you had in mind or not, but it's easy to accomplish:

Convert to SSA format, and then open it with Notepad and fool with the outline thickness:

Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, TertiaryColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, BorderStyle, ,Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, AlphaLevel, Encoding
    Style: Default,Tahoma,70,65535,65535,65535,-2147483640,-1,0,1,40,0,2,30,30,40,0,0

If you need them for DVD, there are ways to accomplish the same thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Subtitle Creator, one option is the background, which defaults to transparent. You can make that any colour. Then export that as a SUP file, which is a bitmap format you can import into most authoring apps.

Subtitle Workshop will let you export to several text-format files, some of which support background. (Note "BackColour" in the previous post's attribute for SSA subs.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress to crop out the chinese subs. Resize video. Add in your subs using variety of subtitle tools.
    Quote Quote