VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    We recently had some hardware issues with our server that takes a video and creates a 3GP version of it. I've reinstalled all our SDK's and codecs I could remember on a new server, but no matter what I've tried I can't get AMR Narrowband audio to work.

I can use AAC audio, and the audio will play on my PC, but not on any of our phones. AMR Narrowband doesn't play on either the phones or the PC's. The strange part it, it shows it as encoding as AMR_NB, and the QuickTime properties show it as AMR.

Here's the process I go through:

Code:
    First I rip the video, this is all fine, never had many problems with this.

Code:
    Now I strip the audio from the original file.

Code:
    No problems so far, the wav file plays correctly, the split video plays correctly, and this is the exact same way we did it before we had to switch servers. (We're even using the exact same sound card.) Now when I mux it together with ffmpeg, it appears to work:

Code:
    You can see that it encodes the audio to amr_nb, 8000 Hz, mono, 12 kb/s, it even displays that info in quicktime when you view the file properties:

Code:
    It says it encodes the audio as amr, it says it has amr audio when viewed in quicktime, but theres no audio at all on the phone or pc. I don't even have AMR listed under the codecs on the server but it encodes it, and doesn't work.

Here's a link to the video all the above output produced:
    http://media.q121.com/3gpinfo/Testing3gp.3gp

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated I've been dealing with this ever since we had to switch to a new server and I'm getting to the point where I'm lost and don't know what to do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you are in canada - North American EFR TDMA is (7.4 kbits/s), European EFR GSM is (12.2 kbits/s)... have tried different bit rates?
    (though it would play on the pc anyway of course)

i would install the codec non the less -- even though it is reported as being encoded - it is clearly not ....
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had a build of ffmpeg from april 10th switched to a build from may 31st and now I can convert straight to .3gp without splitting the audio & video, and there's sound now. Wow...switching to a new build was all it took, and it blew mplayer and mencoder out of the picture. If anyone is curious, do this with the may 31st build of ffmpeg located here:

http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/ffmpeg/

Code:
    ffmpeg -i myfile.mpg -s qcif -ac 1 -ar 8000 - b 30 -ab 12 test.3gp
    Quote Quote