VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have seen many mails (and even answered a few) about metallic sounding audio. The problem is always poor sample rate conversion, but on the weekend I found a new way to do it (ie something to avoid!).

I was going to make DVD format MPEGs from my home videos, so I decided to record the audio using a 48kHz sample rate. I did this using the audio compression setting in Virtualdub (without really thinking).

My sound card obviously only supports 44.1kHz sampling, but either the card or virtualdub does some (very poor) sample rate conversion. So I got some really crap audio. (Which I didn't notice until I had wasted my WHLOE weekend).

What I think I should do about it: a) cap at 44.1k and convert later, or b) buy a new sound card that does 48k sampling (eg SB Audigy).

I hope this helps someone avoid the problems I had (and the time I wasted)
    Quote Quote  
  2. cap with the audio set to either 8000 Hz or 16000 Hz if you are planning to convert it to 48000 Hz audio. the numbers stay uniform that way and in my opinion it will convert to 48000 Hz audio much better than 44100 Hz would.

or like you said get an audigy. its really a great card and if you dont get the breakout box the card is only $100.
    peace out,
    dumwaldo

AWW MA! you know i'm not like other guys. i get nervous and my socks are to loose.
    Quote Quote