VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've had a time finding a media that I like. When I find one that plays in my philips 3900d, it has problems elsewhere like in a ps2. Also, I have a panasonic dvd-rv32 that doesn't seem to like any media.

So I'm going to leave it up to you guys to choose my next media.

LET THE SUGGESTIONS FLY!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First let us know what have you been using.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't pay attention to the brand label, as that doesn't say anything. What I look for is where the media is made. ANYTHING that says 'Made in Japan' has always worked for me. Maxell 4X DVD-R is what I recommend to my friends since I've had good results from them. Not a single problem, works in a lot of players (PS2 also, my friends have repoted). Maxell 2X also works (unfortunatly, not found anywhere). I don't trust any media if its not made in japan.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by SilverBlade
    I don't pay attention to the brand label, as that doesn't say anything. What I look for is where the media is made. ANYTHING that says 'Made in Japan' has always worked for me. Maxell 4X DVD-R is what I recommend to my friends since I've had good results from them. Not a single problem, works in a lot of players (PS2 also, my friends have repoted). Maxell 2X also works (unfortunatly, not found anywhere). I don't trust any media if its not made in japan.
    But when buying online, you typically don't have that luxury.

USED:
    Prodisc 8x DVD+R silver shiny (played satisfactory on philips nothing on panasonic.)
    Prodisc 8x dvd-r clear coat (skips on philips rarely plays on panasonic, freezes on ps2)
    Ritek 2x DVD+RW (worked best)
    Ridata 4x DVD+RW (poor quality)
    Ridata 8x DVD+R (not much better than dvd+rw)
    Verbatim 2x DVD-RW (played well on philips but not at all on panasonic)
    TY 8x DVD-R silver thermal (skips on philips and not at all on panasonic)
    Quote Quote  
  5. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I buy verbatim and fuji, both play in my crappy samsung dvd player and my Toshiba, as well as Ps2. Try one of these. Fuji are TY/ Verbatim are MCC
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Princo, go for the best, and only the best (Printable version)

joking of course
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony. The disks are consistently high grade and I get maybe 2 coasters out of 50 disks, which I find more than acceptable. Also the price is about midrange.

Holmes
    Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, no matter how improbable must be the answer.

S. Holmes
    Quote Quote  
  8. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    2 coasters is acceptable? I've backed up my entire dvd collection (300+) movies, using Verbatim MCC & Fuji TY and have never had a coaster. Why would you settle for anything less than perfect?
    Quote Quote  
  9. iv burnt 350+ ritek g04s (datasafe) with not a single coaster
    shame i cant find any more
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have the same dvd player as you and never had a problem. I use Maxell MXL RG03 and Fuji TY media.
    Quality is my policy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i have been using Linkyo -R 8x for 200 or so burns. Never had a did not play complaint yet w/ many standalone DVD players used. Supermediastore is my friend
    "Quit Playing With The Clock..."

Rudy - Funhouse pinball game
    Quote Quote  
  12. Alright...I'm leaning towards the Fuji TY discs but first a question. How can you discern the Fugi TY discs from the other Fuji media or are they all TY? Also, where do you buy them at?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by steven1110
    Alright...I'm leaning towards the Fuji TY discs but first a question. How can you discern the Fugi TY discs from the other Fuji media or are they all TY? Also, where do you buy them at?
    TY media will say 'made in Japan' on it and will have a distinct style of spindle as well. Best (worst) Buy has them for sale for $20 per 50 pack this week, I believe.
    Quote Quote  
  14. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    yes they do, just picked up another spindle today....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Denvers Dawgs
    will have a distinct style of spindle
    How's that?? How is it different?
    Quote Quote  
  16. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't write this ^

But it looks like this

Make sure it says MADE IN JAPAN on the UPC code
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Denvers Dawgs
    I didn't write this ^

But it looks like this

Make sure it says MADE IN JAPAN on the UPC code
    Negative. The MIJ Fuji cakeboxes look like the picture below, which is the trademark Taiyo Yuden cakebox.

Quote Quote  
  18. Yeah, they'll look like the spindle that Gen-An posted, not the other style...

BTW, made in Taiwan +R discs that are RICOHJPN media are just as good as the TY media (actually better in my experience). So if they have no made in Japan discs in stock, try out the made in Taiwan +Rs.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Sweet...thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
  20. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well this image I posted the +r were TY and made and Japan, so I was letting him know what the one I got looked like. Was he looking for -r media....if so my post is actually pointless then....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Just wanted to let you guys know that I got the made in japan fuji dvd+r and the 1 movie that I've done, it's worked on both players without a hitch.

I do have a small concern though. From about 1/4" from the outer rim to the edge, the dvd is riddled with tiny specs. I don't know if it is common to have this or if it's just the burn that did it. Ideas??

Oh and thanks a bunch for pointing me in the correct direction. Also is there a place online store (supermediastore or whatever) that carries this media.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Steven1110, looks like you've gotten bitten by the Fuji TY speckle bug. No one can figure out why this is the case. It only seems to show up on the Fujifilm-branded discs (as opposed to Sony/TDK/JVC/Panasonic branded or unbranded TY) so it certainly isn't typical of Taiyo Yuden media. Super Media Store, Rima, Meritline and a host of other places sell unbranded Taiyo Yuden media.
    Quote Quote