VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had more of a chance to play with H.264 in Quicktime 7, and it looks fantastic with amazingly low bitrates. A quantum leap over MPEG-4. But man on my 1Ghz G4 PowerBook it is slow to encode. Grow old and die kind of slow. It must be doing 1 or 2 frames per second. I have 512MB of RAM. Any other user experiences?
    Go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave. Or check into a psycho ward, whichever comes first, eh?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Slow is not the word on my dual 533
    Keeper of the "Unofficial" iMovie FAQ also for the lastest iMovie news click here
    Your source for iMovie answers and what not! ;-)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what is the word?

crawling, creeping, dawdling, delaying, deliberate, dilatory, gradual, imperceptible, inactive, indolent, inert, lackadaisical, laggard, lagging, leaden, leisurely, lethargic, listless, plodding, ponderous, slothful, slow-moving, sluggish, snaillike, stagnant, supine, tardy, torpid, tortoiselike

or

speedily, apace, expeditiously, hypersonic, flat-out, full tilt, lickety-split, like wildfire, presto, promptly, pronto, quick, quickly, rapidly, snappy, swiftly, velocious,
    Go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave. Or check into a psycho ward, whichever comes first, eh?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tingly
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well I don't know if I can some up this in one word... waiting for 5 minutes (on a 8 minutes video short I did) then seeing the first silver of progress. Go have a beer watch some TV come back and seeing it not even 10% done. It was maybe 10 o'clock so I went to bed. It did manage to finish by the time I got up at 6 A.M.

So one word...

SSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW

crawling, creeping, dawdling, delaying, deliberate, dilatory, gradual, imperceptible, inactive, indolent, inert, lackadaisical, laggard, lagging, leaden, leisurely, lethargic, listless, plodding, ponderous, slothful, slow-moving, sluggish, snaillike, stagnant, supine, tardy, torpid, tortoiselike

or

speedily, apace, expeditiously, hypersonic, flat-out, full tilt, lickety-split, like wildfire, presto, promptly, pronto, quick, quickly, rapidly, snappy, swiftly, velocious,
    The Thesaurus does rock in Tiger huh?
    Keeper of the "Unofficial" iMovie FAQ also for the lastest iMovie news click here
    Quote Quote  
  6. well anoother reason in the + bucket for a new G5.

rotuts
    MPro 2.66 3GB RAM 1.5TB HD's
    MigliaMiniHD
    QTPro, MPEG2 add on MPlayerX2
    MPEG Streamclip
    24 + 21" samsung flat panels
    G4dual 2GB
    AlchemyDVR card
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Its called an asymetric codec.
    Long encode time, reasonable decode processing.

High compression has cost. The cost is either time or Mips.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by rotuts
    well anoother reason in the + bucket for a new G5.

rotuts
    Yep I am waiting till June so I can get me one of the new fancy HD-DVD drives.
    Quote Quote  
  9. you think HD will be available that soon? you mean the "blue-Ray" 40gb stuff?

rotuts
    MPro 2.66 3GB RAM 1.5TB HD's
    MigliaMiniHD
    QTPro, MPEG2 add on MPlayerX2
    MPEG Streamclip
    24 + 21" samsung flat panels
    G4dual 2GB
    AlchemyDVR card
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rotuts
    you think HD will be available that soon? you mean the "blue-Ray" 40gb stuff?

rotuts
    Expect to pay $$$$ for first generation. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray seem to be working for a common standard. This may delay intro.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by rotuts
    you think HD will be available that soon? you mean the "blue-Ray" 40gb stuff?

rotuts
    I am "hoping", if nothing else, if I wait for the Summer release of hardware I will be able to pick up something faster than 2.7 Ghz for under 3 grand.

My 22" cinema display is still working perfectly so I will probably just have to cough up the $92 bucks for the ADC to DVI connector. Unless one of you guys want to give me like a grand for it
    Quote Quote  
  12. you gonna need it. I have a dual 2GHz G5 and QT7 Pro is still slow. For a 45 sec clip DV, I think it took almost 10 min. or so. The compression though is amazing. I haven't figured out the thresholds for quality versus compression, but it took a 154MB DV (720x480) and made it 1.5 MB (720x480). The quality wasn't the best but I'm initially very impressed.
    Quote Quote