VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need to go from SVCD to VCD. My laptop isn't powerful enough to play a SVCD file but will play VCD files. What's the best way to convert an SVCD to VCD. I have tried TMPEG but got major audio problems. And yes, I did do a search here but found no direct way to convert the file.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    what kind of audio problems? you don't have to convert the audio, you could just convert the video part to vcd with tmpgenc. Then multiplex(join video and audio) back the svcd audio to the vcd audio using tmpgenc under file->mpeg tools.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Strange. I thought that all the MPA audio files used in the SVCD mpegs (usually they are MP2 files 224 kbps) are the same than VCD's.
    Are you sure this is not a problem due to your PC's lack of power?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by aldaco12
    Strange. I thought that all the MPA audio files used in the SVCD mpegs (usually they are MP2 files 224 kbps) are the same than VCD's.
    Are you sure this is not a problem due to your PC's lack of power?
    A little bit uncorrect . SVCD support audio other than 224 kbps too. In this regard to have fully standard VCD the audio must be 224 kbps exactly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've read (I don't remembre where) thet VCD 1.1 has 224kbps audio, and VCD2.0 can support other bitrate,; is that right (of course many players can't read audio on different bitrate, I think)?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hmm, I have read (don't remember where from ) that VCD 1.1 doesn't support chapters, while 2.0 supports.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Abond are you just kidding, or you are serious? Effectivly there are many differences between VCD 1.1 and VCD 2.0.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Erm, no kidding
    Quote Quote  
  9. Oh, then I'm sorry. You had written a post very similar to the mine, but you don't have to care about it, I'm just a fool !
    Cheers!
    P.S.:@wings 123: but what are the details of your laptop?If you want to play SVCD on a low power PC there is a chinese player called STHSDVD that works also on PII at 300MHZ, 16MB of memory and videocard with just 2MB of RAM. It works also under Windows 95 of course.
    If tou want I can try to send it to you, or if I find it on the web I will link it to you.
    Tell me yours details!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a link to S(VCD) standards:

http://www.pctechguide.com/24digvid_SVCD.htm

I saw another, more informative version @ 1 time, but I can't seem to find it.
    "Quit Playing With The Clock..."

Rudy - Funhouse pinball game
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VCD 2.0 (1995) upgrades VCD 1.1 format (1993) adding interactive menus, high resolution stills and fast forward/rewind capabilities.
    You can use chapters with vcd 1.1.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Oh, crappy memory.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Video CD 1.1
    This is the most basic Video CD specification dating back to 1993 4 , which has the followingcharacteristics:
    • One mode 2 mixed form ISO-9660 track containing file pointers to the information areas.
    • Up to 98 multiplex-ed mpeg-1 audio/video streams or cd-da audio tracks.
    • Up to 500 mpeg sequence entry points used as chapter divisions.
    The Video CD specification requires the multiplex-ed mpeg-1 stream to have a cbr of less than 174300 bytes (1394400 bits) per second 5 in order to accommodate single speed cd-rom drives. The specification allows for the following two resolutions 6 :
    • 352 x 240 @ 29.97 Hz (ntsc sif).
    • 352 x 240 @ 23.976 Hz (film sif).
    The cbr mpeg-1, layer II audio stream is fixed at 224 kbps with 1 stereo or 2 mono channels.It is recommended to keep the video bit-rate under 1151929.1 bps 7.

Video CD 2.0
    About two years after the Video CD 1.1 specification came out, an improved Video CD 2.0 standard was published in 1995. This one added the following items to the features already available in the Video CD 1.1 specification:
    • Support for mpeg segment play items (SPI ), consisting of still pictures, motion pictures and/or audio (only) streams was added. See Section 1.6.2 [Segment Items], page 9.
    • Support for interactive playback control (PBC) was added.
    • Support for playing related access by providing a scan point index file was added.(‘/EXT/SCANDATA.DAT’)
    • Support for closed captions.
    • Support for mixing ntsc and pal content.
    By adding PAL support to the Video CD 1.1 specification, the following resolutions became
    available:
    • 352 x 240 @ 29.97 Hz (ntsc sif).
    • 352 x 240 @ 23.976 Hz (film sif).
    • 352 x 288 @ 25 Hz (pal sif).
    For segment play items the following audio encodings became available:
    • Joint stereo, stereo or dual channel audio streams at 128, 192, 224 or 384 kbit/sec bit-rate.
    • Mono audio streams at 64, 96 or 192 kbit/sec bit-rate.
    https://www.videohelp.com/vcd#tech
    Quote Quote  
  14. So I remember some of right after all! Tnx Baldrick !
    Quote Quote