VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I, recently, got a TDK dvd-rw, metalic gray top.

tried to burn some data, but Toast (5 and 6) gave me this error:

The drive reported an error:
    Sense Key= BLANK CHECK
    Sense Code= 0x00
    NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION

What could be the problem here?

Thanks,

eMac
    SuperDrive PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104, Device Revision A227
    Mac OS X 10.2.6

Toast 5, 6
    artistic treatment of mortality
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BLANK CHECK

and

are pretty damn funny errors. Did you buy more than one disk? Have you tested another DVD-RW to see if you drive has issues with them?
    If it isn't broken, take it apart and find out why.
    blog: deadsierra
    Quote Quote  
  3. are pretty damn funny errors. Did you buy more than one disk? Have you tested another DVD-RW to see if you drive has issues with them?
    I bought only one disc to test to see if it works w/ my drive.
    Have not tested any other.
    do you think this is brand-related problem ?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking its a specific disk error. Is it possible for you to test a variety of of media?
    If it isn't broken, take it apart and find out why.
    blog: deadsierra
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by deadsierra
    I'm thinking its a specific disk error. Is it possible for you to test a variety of of media?
    The media could be the problem. Even if this is the case, is not toast suppose to give an error something like "Sense Key= MEDIUM ... "?

I should try different brands as you suggested.

Let me ask people w/ SuperDrive PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104, Device Revision A227, What brand and version dvd-rw are you using?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I messed up my first disc too, . . . forgot to read the part where it said I had to format the disc first.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dwight, what are you talking about? There is no disc formatting that is done first with Toast or with Apple's Finder disc burning.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Frobozz
    There is no disc formatting that is done first with Toast or with Apple's Finder disc burning.
    I agree.

The disc in question is a TDK dvd-rw, metallic gray top.
    item code: DVD-RW47EA.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    surprising... especially from that media brand. I have never tried thier -rw line only the -r [which have always preformed solidly for me] that said i would think these -rw would do the same

is this the kind you have? Its the ONLY -rw that TDK makes so if its not perhaps you have a knockoff passing as TDK?!?!?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by galactica
    is this the kind you have? Its the ONLY -rw that TDK makes so if its not perhaps you have a knockoff passing as TDK?!?!?
    Galactica,

I forgot to mention that I am in region 2.
    Packaging is different in Europe. If you have time, could you please click the link below that leads to the image of the disc.

http://www.tdk-europe.presscentre.com/imagelib/loadimage.asp?media_id=633

this is the exact disc I have.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Frustrated... I tried NTI Dragon Burn X w/ the TDK DVD-RW I have.
    it gave me this error:

Errors Occured During Write!
    BE Error- Sense Error
    ((03h, 31h, 00h), Medium Error, Medium format corrupted)

Anyone would like to comment on this ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I know the problem. If this is the eMac superdrive then it can only write to DVD-R media. It cannot write to DVD-RW. It doesn't matter that Pioneer supports DVD-RW with this drive because Apple is using firmware that prevents the use of DVD-RW media. Some folks have found a way to change this firmware (which may result in Apple refusing to repair it under warranty). Search for information about this at xlr8yourmac.com.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

this is my first post so I hope I'm doing it in the right place. A few days ago I also received the exact same error message from toast (ver 6.09) The drive reported an error:
    Sense Key= BLANK CHECK
    Sense Code= 0x00

Unlike the other poster, I was using a DVD-R (verbatim 8X media). This happened after toast seemed to be stuck (the progress bar wasn't moving, so I quit the app...of note, toast didn't give me the "application not responding message" so it, the application, wasn't "frozen"). This occurred while I was backing up a movie...not sure if this detail matters. Finally, I received the error from toast after I immediately tried to burn the movie again. I finally did manage to burn the movie at 8x (although toast again seemed to be stuck. Also, after another failure (similar error message from toast) I've been able to burn at 4X (same media). Sorry if this message is a little long, any help is appreciated.

P.S The burner is a Pioneer 108 firmware 1.17
    computer Blue & white 450
    OS 10.3.7
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Its saying the 'so called' DVD-RW or R isn't BLANK, because

Sense Key= BLANK CHECK
    Sense Code= 0x00

This is a SCSI device error that decodes as follows:

A BLANK CHECK ERROR OCCURS WHEN

Indicates that a write-once device or a sequential- access device encountered blank medium or format-defined end-of-data indication while reading

or

a write-once device encountered a non-blank medium while writing

Remember even an ATAPI device like the PIONEER A04 is considered a SCSI device in this regard
    (ATAPI stands for Atatchment to an AT computer peripheral interface..but now we gott'em in our macs)
    (IDE -Integrated drive electronics) (SCSI small computer serial interface)

Idunno if this helps..but its all true
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you dcsos for your reply,

I think I understand your explanation, but maybe I don't...let me ask you this; do you think this is a media issue or a problem with my burner? Up until just the other day it was working fine with burning 8X Verbatim
    DVD-R's. Could it be that I've reached a point in the spindle where there are some doggy ones? It would be nice to know if the problem is the burner...it's still under warranty. Finally, any thoughts about upgrading the firmware? Would that do the trick...any thoughts? Thanks again for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to hazard a guess:
    I think its a minor incompatibility between TOAST and the drive.*
    I think If you made a disk image (.ISO)
    and burned that with DISC BURN the incompatibility would not be an issue as I think its possible the APPPLE knows your drive (and where the blank bits are on any brand of disc you throwin it..unlike Toast)

this was a guess

*this might well be fixble with firmware upate, but might not..(I'd try getting the full drive replaced---firmware updated already on the new one if i could)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again dcsos

I'm going to give your suggestion a whirl I'll report back with some results. I guess I should also try some different media too. Finally (I mean it this time :P ) someone told me it could be a data transfer issue...the drive is internal Master on the cd ata bus (I also have my dvd mastering hard drive attached to the same bus as a slave) any thoughts?

P.S Before any new rip I always erase the hard drive (with disk Utility), so fragmentation should not be an issue. Thanks again for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi dcsos,

so I took your suggestion and used Disc Utility (I used DVD Imager to make an img of a ripped DVD) to see if I could burn at 8x (using Verbatim). First off, Disc Utility would not let me change the burn speed...it stayed greyed out at "Best" which for some reason is 12x...Toast also gives me this speed choice for some reason. Anyway, the burn should have taken 6 Min, but in actuality took over 17 min!! The burn seems fine but I still have no idea what's going on here...anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
    Quote Quote