VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How do I compress GIF, as well as APNG and animated WEBP files without losing any quality?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try 7z https://7-zip.org/ .

And btw i do not expect high compression gain but for sure eventual compression will be lossless.

Seem http://mattmahoney.net/dc/zpaq.html offers highest lossless compression so i would try ZPAQ firstly.
    Last edited by pandy; 30th Mar 2024 at 11:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Except of course, GIF has limited color palette, so if source is standard 24bit color (or anything higher than 256), there WILL be loss.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Except of course, GIF has limited color palette, so if source is standard 24bit color (or anything higher than 256), there WILL be loss.

Scott
    ? 7z or similar compressor offer lossless compression - no loss .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here we go again !
    Quote Quote  
  6. Image compression using one of the PAQ series of file compressors.

Advantage of PAQ compressors is high lossless compression of files. Disadvantage is compression may take a long time, depending on compression options.

Natively the PAQ compressors are run under command line, so may be difficult to use/understand at first.

However, there is a GUI available for the PAQ compressors here which may make it a bit easier to use.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by meeshu View Post
    Natively the PAQ compressors are run under command line, so may be difficult to use/understand at first.

However, there is a GUI available for the PAQ compressors here which may make it a bit easier to use.
    Alternatively Peazip offer full support for various lossless compression methods: https://peazip.github.io/paq-files-compression-utility.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So wait..you want to take gif, apng, webp Sources and FURTHER compress them? Why? They won't be directly usable as their native formats then. Or is this simply another exercise?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    So wait..you want to take gif, apng, webp Sources and FURTHER compress them? Why? They won't be directly usable as their native formats then. Or is this simply another exercise?

Scott
    I just saw some compressors for those formats and wonder if any of them were lossless.
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=gif+compressor&cvid=89281fb828244a3c8c26a2a22b5b245c&gs_...ANNTA1&PC=U531
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=apng+compressor&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&lq=0&pq=apng+compre...&ghacc=0&ghpl=
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=animated+webp+compressor&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&lq=0&pq=an...&ghacc=0&ghpl=

You could also look on Google.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You asked about something else - lossless compression for GIF+APNG+WEBP - and you already received few suggestions but after all seem you ask NOT for compression but for OPTIMIZERS - this something else. You should decide what is your goal as it seem this is not clear neither for you nor for us...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    You asked about something else - lossless compression for GIF+APNG+WEBP - and you already received few suggestions but after all seem you ask NOT for compression but for OPTIMIZERS - this something else. You should decide what is your goal as it seem this is not clear neither for you nor for us...
    All right, here's the deal: I have GIF, APNG, and WEBP files that are over 95MB, and I want to compress them to that amount or less without losing any quality. How do I do that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Perhaps those are just the size you should already expect them to be. 95MB is not unreasonable for hundreds or thousands combined, nor is it for even 1 pic if that pic is super-high-rez. You are giving no context here.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Perhaps those are just the size you should already expect them to be. 95MB is not unreasonable for hundreds or thousands combined, nor is it for even 1 pic if that pic is super-high-rez. You are giving no context here.

Scott
    Well, what if the animated images were actually clips of 1080p videos that I converted into those formats?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And how big (filesize) were those clips originally? Context.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. One of them was 53.6 MB and I used Shutter Encoder to make it into a gif which was 450MB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, GIF is an inefficient format compared to h264, h265. With no advanced intraframe compression and No real interframe compression algorithms, it's no surprise. For such material, gif is simply not a good choice, and likely neither is apng or webp. All of those make sense for animated stills, but not for videos, yet you're trying to fit videos into them.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Yes, GIF is an inefficient format compared to h264, h265. With no advanced intraframe compression and No real interframe compression algorithms, it's no surprise. For such material, gif is simply not a good choice, and likely neither is apng or webp. All of those make sense for animated stills, but not for videos, yet you're trying to fit videos into them.

Scott
    All right, I understand if it's impossible to compress those types of animated stills without losing any quality.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Sound Master View Post
    All right, I understand if it's impossible to compress those types of animated stills without losing any quality.
    No, you don't understand - you can use ZPAQ but don't expect high gain.

Generally GIF offer 256 colors maximum per frame - if you wish to have more colors then you need go for special GIF encoder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF?useskin=vector#True_color (i'm not even aware if such encoder exist as GIF is very old format affected by some patents in early time of internet). However if you can accept quality loss using 256 colors per frame then ANY other modern codec will give higher quality and higher compression gain - just change GIF to different format.

I still have no clue what is your real goal but this is not my circus and not my monkeys.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by Sound Master View Post
    No, you don't understand - you can use ZPAQ but don't expect high gain.

Generally GIF offer 256 colors maximum per frame - if you wish to have more colors then you need go for special GIF encoder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF?useskin=vector#True_color (i'm not even aware if such encoder exist as GIF is very old format affected by some patents in early time of internet). However if you can accept quality loss using 256 colors per frame then ANY other modern codec will give higher quality and higher compression gain - just change GIF to different format.

I still have no clue what is your real goal but this is not my circus and not my monkeys.
    I'm guessing ffmpeg and shutter encoder are those special ones? Anyway, how do I optimize animated images and videos without losing quality?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Stop guessing - read the material on the net and try out the best contenders yourself, using clear scientific methods.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  21. All right, I will. By the way, can you answer this?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/414018-Stop-Overriding-Files
    Quote Quote  
  22. Why do you insist on answer after it was answered already? Also in VD2, exporting image sequences, you can choose to include frame number into an image file name, so after selecting different parts of the same video, frames will still have a unique names! You got that selection in the pop up window that you are looking at. You do not need timestamps, when you have that feature. It is a common image naming feature across hundreds of apps. It is an image sequence naming commonality. There is no need to come up with something extra.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Why do you insist on answer after it was answered already?
    Wait, it was answered before? Where?
    Quote Quote  
  24. It was asked by one of yours disguised nick name, I cannot keep up with the names, so I cannot google it for you.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    It was asked by one of yours disguised nick name, I cannot keep up with the names, so I cannot google it for you.
    I mean the part about applying timestamps to the names of the output files.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I just told you, you do not need a timecode in image filename.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm with you, @_AI_, more goofy obsession from yet another alias of a well-known troll.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    I just told you, you do not need a timecode in image filename.
    I mean for videos, not images. I want to automatically add timestamps/timecodes to the names of the output VIDEOS (e.g. mkv, mp4, mov) from Avidemux and VirtualDub2, not images.
    Quote Quote