VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have some source material .MKVs that include .ASS subtitles. I'd like to be able to make short clips without having the subtitles burnt in, so they are not affected by effects added to the clips.

I attempted to find out how to do this, and it sounded like using avisynth to render a transparent video with the subtitles to overlay on top of the clips was the best way to go about it. However, when I make a masksub .AVS script as outlined in this post:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364265-Importing-SRT-subtitles-into-Premiere-Pro-CC...=1#post2319000
    it will not open in vdub and throws this error in Media Player: "Script error: there is no function named "MaskSub".

Has the masksub function been changed/removed? I can't find much about it online. The avisynth wiki doesn't even have it.

Or if there is another/better way to do this please tell me where I can read about it. As mentioned above I'd like to be able to use existing subtitles in Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Masksub() needs vsfilter.dll. It does not come with the official AviSynth package.

But I don't understand why you want to use it. You only need vsfilter if you want to burn in which you said you didn't want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Masksub() needs vsfilter.dll. It does not come with the official AviSynth package.

But I don't understand why you want to use it. You only need vsfilter if you want to burn in which you said you didn't want.
    I followed the instructions in the post I linked originally, which included installing vsfilter.

What I want to be able to do is this:

Take .MKV source video/audio/subtitles and make short clips of it. But Vegas will not handle .ass subtitles. So I'm trying to find out what options I have.

I could use Handbrake to make an .mp4 Vegas will use with the subtitles burnt in, but then any effects applied to the video will also affect the subtitles.

I could do the subtitles separately at the end with Aegisub, but that seems unnecessary when they already exist, and could add a lot of extra work depending on the final clip.

The avisynth masksub method sounds good but I can't get it to work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok, after reading the link I understand now. poisondeathray gives good and correct advice and masksub() is what you want, apparently.

The problem is vsfilter isn't loaded correctly.
    1. Did you copy vsfilter.dll into the AviSynth\plugins directory?
    2. Did you use 32 bit vsfilter? (needed for 32 bit AviSynth)?
    3. Did you use 32 bit VirtualDub? (needed for 32 bit AviSynth)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    The problem is vsfilter isn't loaded correctly.
    Hello,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I decided I could proceed with this project using burnt in subs, but I still wanted to figure this out for the future.

I had some trouble getting it to work. The problem ended up being I still had the 64 bit vsfilter.dll in the avisynth plugins folder. I had installed a mix of 32 and 64 bit avisynth, vdub, and vsfilter.

I just rendered out the subtitles for a 24 minute show as Lagarith. It took a little under 10 minutes on my pc and the resulting avi is 979 MB.

Another beginner question: I add the rendered subtitle avi to Vegas, right click it and set the Alpha channel to Straight (unmatted) like a tutorial showed. However it still has the black background. I have to go change the Compositing mode from Source alpha to Lighten. I don't know much about different blending modes. This seems fine for white subtitles like I have in this test, but could it be a problem with black text or stylized/colored fonts? I didn't think blending was part of this, just interpreting the black part of the subtitle video as transparent.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I read a bit about compositing modes and it seems to me the alpha channel of the subtitle avi isn't being recognized by Vegas or isn't there. I changed the video compression in vdub to Lagarith RGBA mode before saving as avi, so I am not sure what is wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    I read a bit about compositing modes and it seems to me the alpha channel of the subtitle avi isn't being recognized by Vegas or isn't there. I changed the video compression in vdub to Lagarith RGBA mode before saving as avi, so I am not sure what is wrong.
    The solution was to change vdub Video setting to Fast Recompress. Apparently the default setting will cause vdub to change the color space setting you chose in the Compression codec menu.
    Quote Quote