VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I really don't know what would be a good subject heading here?

Anyway, I recently downloaded a very large AVI file. I wanted to burn it as a VCD, so I encoded it to MPEG-1 with TMPEG-ENC. The program completed but when I burned the file, it wouldn't play even though it played fine in Windows Media Player.

I thought it may have something to do with the DVD-RW, so I split the file with HJSplit. Now, the first half plays fine in both the WMP and my DVD player but the second half claims that it's missing a codec and can't play. I can't even pull up the properties screen to see what this file is, if anything.

Is it normal for a movie to change it's format halfway through it. Seems odd that the first half plays great as a MPEG, but the second half has no idea what it is.

Any help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    did you burn vcd on dvd-rw? or what are you doing? or is the avi on a dvd-rw??? could you explain in steps what you have done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No idea, but a general rule of thumb is not to split an mpeg. Encode in two passes, using the TMPGEnc Source range feature.
    But: "burn as VCD" then "something to do with DVD-RW" doesn't really fit together... What are you trying to do?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    did you burn vcd on dvd-rw? or what are you doing? or is the avi on a dvd-rw??? could you explain in steps what you have done.
    Yes, I took a AVI file and coverted it to a VCD file. When I play the entire file on WMP, it plays perfect and is listed as being MPEG-1.

So then I burned VCD to a DVD-RW. This didn't play. I thought that the DVD-RW was bad, so I then split the VCD file into 2 different files with HJ Split. The first half played great, even on my DVD player (which can play MPEG-1 movies) but the second half can't be read (even on WMP).

I thought maybe it was a problem with HJ Split, so I used TMPEG-ENC to cut the MPEG file with their program and it's having a hard time doing it. In other words, it just sits there, not being able to find the proper point in the file or movie.

This is why I'm confused.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might try some of the other mpeg cutting tools like Womble Mpeg Video Wizard. I do cuts in Mpeg2 with this all the time and never have a playback problem. Sounds like you are having header data problems caused by an unnatural end/beginning at the break point. The player can't pick up on it since the program did not reset the header so the player sees it as the first frame again. File players like your computer can see it but standalones for the most part won't...

Your editor did this:

I........................I I......................I
    1 - 10 ; 11 - 20

your player wants:

I........................I I.......................I

1 - 10 ; 1 - 10

The header for the 2nd half has to be reset to the first frame again for the standalone to see it. Otherwise, no playback...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can't burn vcd on dvd-rw. What tool did you use? Or are you just burning the mpeg files on a dvd? it is not a vcd.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think he's having problems also with his wording. I don't know if he is trying to split an Mpeg-1 file or trying to cut a completed VCD. I guess we should wait and have him clarify what he is trying to do. Splitting a file with HJsplit simply isn't going to work. He needs a true Mpeg editor. Fortunately, there are several good ones out there...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ckad79
    so I then split the VCD file into 2 different files with HJ Split. .
    HJSplit is not a movie cutter, it is a generic file cutter designed to allow large files to be split up to allow easier transfer accross the internet or saving on low capacity storage device such as floppy disks. You must use HJsplit to rejoin the file before it is any use.

The 2nd half of your spli file won't play because the header identifying the codecs required etc, is missing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry, for the delay. I'm at work... messaging between delays.

The file that I downloaded was in AVI. What I am trying to do is play these on a DVD player that I have that can read MPEG-1 (or I guess this is also considered VCD). I've done this plenty of times, take a AVI file and then use TMPEG-ENC to convert it to MPEG, it plays fine in the DVD player.

BUT this time when I burned the new file to a DVD-RW, nothing played. I thought it was the disc... so I cut it and burned it in smaller parts, so that it would fit on two CD-Rs. Now, the first one plays, the second one (the other half) doesn't.

This is why I'm confused. I'm going to try this other program to cut the file when I get home.

Originally Posted by Baldrick
    You can't burn vcd on dvd-rw. What tool did you use? Or are you just burning the mpeg files on a dvd? it is not a vcd.
    Quote Quote