VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have several laserdisc that I want to convert to DVD. The audio is very good as Pro Logic. But I wanted to make a few changes to each of the audio channels, so I wanted to know if there is way a specific way to record stereo and then convert it into 4 independent audio channels?

Please no "It'll sound better in stereo" remarks. As I want to make changes to specific channels and add special effects.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might need some expensive remixing software/hardware to do that. There are some freebie/low cost software, but I think they only convert to 2-channel Dolby Digital.
    You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned. Do not post false information.
    /Moderator John Q. Publik
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Originally Posted by c_hernandez32
    convert it into 4 independent audio channels?
    Actually Pro Logic is Front Left, Front Right, matrixed center, and MONO rear channels. So at most you'd have 3 independent (fl, fr, c) and 1 mono rear channel. Sorry. If you could do it that would be the breakdown for pro logic.

Kevin

--old dolby surround didn't have a center channel so if you run across those it would front left, front right, mono rear--

EDIT - Actually I believe if you dub the sound over the cables to the capture device the pro logic should be passed along. I think when I backup vhs tapes with pro logic the sound is carried over in the stereo mix. I can't remember for sure but you shouldn't need to convert anything. The prologic is embedded in the stereo track. It's the receiver that splits it into seperate tracks.

EDIT 2 - Sorry I didn't see the bit about wanting to add special effects yourself. For that you will have to do encoding. Though, it might lose some impact if you fool around with the original source too much (might seem artificial or the balance may be lost, though I haven't done it myself). Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Huh ?..Is it just me ?..But why did Forum Troll get a warning ?. I cant see anything in his post that goes against the rules of this site !!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

ANdydd - I think that's his signature line (like my picture of yoda but his is just text). I could be wrong. But he's had that for awhile. Just Private message him to find out.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks, I found the transcoder to split into individual channels. Wierd thing is that I have heard of Prologic II decoding, but I have seen no DVD or video to have five channels in Dolby Surround. Most DVDs say that 4 channels are encoded in the Dolby Surround audio track. Wouldn't that only be Prologic I: FL, FR, Ctr, Mono Surround?

Anyone know of a Prologic II soundtrack on a movie?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

As far as I know prologic 2 is merely a fake system. Pro Logic is the only true Dolby for vhs (and dolby surround original). The dvds would either use the pro logic from the vhs release (enhanced a little, I'm sure) or the 5.1 from the theatrical release. Pro Logic 2 wouldn't be worthwile since true dolby digital 5.1 is MUCH better (though I haven't heard pl2 I just know it "creates" the 5.1 effect).

Kevin
    Quote Quote  
  8. Prologic 2 is no more "fake" than is Prologic 1. SFAIK, the difference is that 2 has (two) seperate, distinct rear channels that are significantly higher in volume than Prologic 1. Both systems are muxed into a standard stereo signal, and must be decoded. I spent some time checking this out as Prologic 2 is the best surround sound you can use on an SVCD. Unless you are the one guy on the planet with BOTH a multi-channel MPEG amp and multi-channel MPEG DVD player, and actually got it to work.

Dolby 5.1 uses seperate signal for each channel.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Nelson37 - I guess what I was getting at is that modern movies don't enocode into pro logic 2. They use dolby digital 5.1 or dts 5.1. That's all I was trying to convey. Sorry.

Keivn
    Quote Quote  
  10. Prologic will forever be the realm of VHS and LDs and (S)VCD. Though are there any titles, in any format, that use Prologic II?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andydd
    Huh ?..Is it just me ?..But why did Forum Troll get a warning ?. I cant see anything in his post that goes against the rules of this site !!
    definition of "Forum Troll"
    Forum Trolls attempt to lure other Internet users into sending responses to carefully-designed incorrect statements or similar "bait." Amateur Trolls are simply argumentative/offensive/scornful because they can be.

It's just my siggie.
    You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned. Do not post false information.
    /Moderator John Q. Publik
    Quote Quote