VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hallo

Reading so much praise of JVC DR-M10SL here on the forum today I ordered it convert the odd 200-300 VHS tapes that I have.
    My setup is I have JVC S-VHS VCR model# HR-S7960E which I bought recently here in Europe as it has inbuilt TBC and the famous Digipure Technology from JVC the playback from this VCR is excellent. So I hope the captures through it will be great. My first attempt was through Canopus MPEG Pro EMR card € 550 but the captures were not satisfactory and the bundled software has no control over bitrate.
    And as DVD recorders are getting more and more advanced I thought this will save me a lot of time as I just want to convert them to DVD no editing. And then the DVD recorder bug bit me..
    Finally today I ordered it.
    I am mainly interested and fascinated by Variable Bit rate or Flexible Rate(as called by Panasonic) or Free Rate as called by JVC

One of my friend who is involved in Professional Video buisness shared me something that his company has very costly (several thousand Euros worth ) capture equipment where he puts the original S-VHS in a SVHS high quality deck which connect to this super super costly MPEG capture device and there he just tells the integrated computer that the video duration is say 1 hour 55 min and it has available 4.6 GB space.
    Then the machine decides the best possible bit rate to fit that time exaxtly in that one DVD and this he calls VBR and I was fascinated by this and once DVD recorders started offering such feature I was immediately interested .

So I have tapes of varying duration from 1 hour to 2 hour 15 minutes and I want to capture them at same resolution ( DVD best 720X480 NTSC or 720X520 PAL ) so all fir each on one DVD in spite of their different total time.
    So with this background and after reading this forum and reading the operating manual of JVC DR-M10SL I have few questions

1.Is this the true VBR does it make best bit rate for available space and time on disc?
    2. Resolution Change at what time does the resolution change as quoted in this thread really occur-----

EricS wrote:
    Do you know when at what flexible recording times the resolutions change?

720x480 goes down to 352x480 at FR155 (2:35). But I don't know when 352x480 goes to 352x240.” ?
    Because I want to capture them all at same resolution

Thanks
    Variable Bit Rate in DVD Recorders : A quantum Leap
    Setup
    JVC S-VHS VCR model HR-S7960E TBC/ Digipure
    JVC DR-M10S DVD Recorder
    Quote Quote  
  2. With the NTSC JVC DR-M10SL, FR mode set to 2 hours 35 minutes or longer induces the lower resolution. lordsmurf would tell you (and many others) that capturing VHS at 352x480 is totally acceptable, especially if you are dealing with very long tapes. I would have to agree.

Since you stated you have nothing longer than 2 hours 15 minutes, the JVC will stay at full D1 (720x480 NTSC) for all those recordings. It's possible the resolution change occurs at a different time length for PAL, but I wouldn't think so.

The JVC records DVD compliant variable bitrate (VBR) MPEG2 with Dolby Digital (.ac3) 2-channel audio.

The JVC is a really great unit and I'm getting very good results with mine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much gshelley61 this response is quick and a good news!!
    Cannot wait to get my new unit
    Thanks
    Setup
    JVC DR-M10S DVD Recorder
    Quote Quote  
  4. You are welcome. Let us know how you like your new JVC DVD recorder after you get it...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sure I will keep posted
    I will get it tomorrow latest
    Setup
    JVC DR-M10S DVD Recorder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I want a HR-S7960E How much? Where?

When you go to REC MODE on the remote, and change the FR, notice how the star change. Relate this back to the others.

1-hour and 2-hour = 720x480
    4-hour = 352x480
    6-hour = 352x240

In VR mode (I hate this mode, do not suggest it at all), you'll get all kinds of interval resolutions 544x480 is in there, and 480x480 is one too. Not a fan of VR mode.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip

I got it here in Germany its PAL I wonder if it works in USA
    Here is the link
    http://gt.preissuchmaschine.de/gt_frontend/main.asp?produkt=316601

Picture quality is excellent even with old VHS tapes extremely stable picture and colors come alive 3D interpolation is best I have seen
    Setup
    JVC DR-M10S DVD Recorder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I for to put the price for the JVC HR-7960E

around 230 to 250€
    Setup
    JVC DR-M10S DVD Recorder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I want to buy one and have it shipped here. Too bad I cannot read German.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just got my JVC DR-M10S
    I am very happy as potrayed in this forum it is a excellent recorder Absolutely good quality
    1. Picture better than original VHS
    2. Sound perfect AC3 in sync
    3. Ease of operation FR is just incredible
    I was going for Panasonic first but this forum saved me THANKS a lot

I have some questions post recording
    1. In the menu generated by the JVC it automatically assigns the date of recording to the Title in Menu this is annoying can I remove it ? It only lets me change the title name
    2. If i want to make menu is there a good DVD authoring software which will take VOB files directly ,,,
    I tried TMPGEnc DVD Author, It was great for a three button solution but the menu part was not good enough. I cannot add text buttons or delete the text from given templates
    Then I tried DVDlab but the moment I put chapter ponts the disc only displays first menu and DVD is not playable Nero gives error message DVD files reallocation failed

Tried DVDMaestro. Excellent. Did everything I wanted - but for one thing...

I need to be able to import VOB files directly into the authoring program (so that all I need to do then is to organize a menu)
    I tried demuxing VOBs to video and audio streams, so I could import them into DVDMaestro, but that put the audio well out of sync - about 3 seconds out! Either way it makes sense (for this particular job) not to have to separate out the various streams, only to then recombine them again.

So the big question is....
    Are there any authoring programs around as good as DVDMaestro that will import complete sets of VOB files from different movies (or episodes in this case) so I can add a menu and then burn to DVD.
    (or is there a better way of doing all this?)

Many thanks for any suggestions

Regards
    Setup
    JVC DR-M10S DVD Recorder
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think that TMPGEnc DVD Author can be used to create more complex menus, but it is not that apparent and you have to dig in to the program some more. Lots of people swear by DVDLab on this forum, so the glitch you are running into is probably something simple. I don't know that much about either to guide you much further. Sony Vegas is another application that is supposed to be real good for what you are trying to do.

There's lots of different ways to deal with the VOB's, as they are just MPEG2 video files (you can even simply rename them with the .mpg extension after they are saved to your hard drive, and they'll usually work just fine for programs that don't accept VOB's).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think Ulead DVD Workshop 2 AC3 is a PERFECT FIT for the JVC files.
    Quote Quote