VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My 708A seem to be stuck at 4X(or average of 6X)so I decided to switch machine's to see if its my plex or my Rig, The funny thing about it, is when I switched, both the 712A and the 708A is burning @ the right speed.

Since then, while the drives were switched, they both had perfect burn times. I decided to put them back were I started and the 708A is acting like it does not want to go past 4 or 6X(burn time is 11-12min) ??

Rig 1, 708A was bought for this Machine:
    Pent 4 2.4 gig
    1 gig of mem
    Abit IC7 motherboard
    Win2000 Sp4
    Powersupply: 420 watts

Rig 2, 712A was bought for this Machine:
    AMD 2500+ 333FSB
    512 mem
    Gigabyte GA-7N400L motherboard
    Win2000
    Powersupply: 400 watts

708A while in Rig 1, will have burn times of 12 min.
    708A while in Rig 2, Will have burn times of 8min(perfect time)

712A while in Rig 1 or 2 will have perfect burn times.

Media have been Verbatim
    Media code/Manufacturer ID MCC 002
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps

Now with all this information, I am only getting the 12min burn with CloneDVD, with all other software such as PlexTools professional, Nero and Alcohol 120% I am getting perfect burn times with the Plex 708a in Rig 1.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled CloneDVD, reformatted my HD reinstalled OS, changed the BIOS in sooooo many ways, everything is current with versions, tried other Media, changed the IDE Cable's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No replies???????? WoW
    Quote Quote  
  3. You have left out the single most important piece of information. Does CloneDVD run slowly in Rig 2?

It seems obvious that the problem is not with the drive but rather just this one piece of software.

If it runs OK in Rig 2, then there is some sort of incompatibility between CloneDVD and the BIOS or some other drivers running on Rig 1.

Since other burning progs run OK, on both machines, there doesn't seem to be much point in running down the answer, when there may not even be one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nelson37 stated:
    You have left out the single most important piece of information. Does CloneDVD run slowly in Rig 2?
    But I have stated:
    The funny thing about it, is when I switched, both the 712A and the 708A is burning @ the right speed.
    712A while in Rig 1 or 2 will have perfect burn times.
    This is what Im trying to figure out
    If it runs OK in Rig 2, then there is some sort of incompatibility between CloneDVD and the BIOS or some other drivers running on Rig 1.
    The only thing that is diffrent is Rig 1 is Pent:intel and Rig 2 is AMD:Nforce2

Same software on both, but you are right about

Since other burning progs run OK, on both machines, there doesn't seem to be much point in running down the answer, when there may not even be one.

I guess I'm just gonna have to switch machine's and get new faceplate's for the drives. I really really(I really do) hate giving up and not know the answer, I like know the answer and solve the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You mentioned burn times but then further mentioned 3 different softwares in question. It was unclear whether you were being software specific.

This type of problem is not at all unusual. Very often the answer is that they just won't work as well together, and quite literally no one knows why. As long as a reasonable substitute is available, don't sweat it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well as stated before, I ordered the faceplate's, so I will be switching.

1 good thing about it, with the 712A in the faster Machine it only takes 19-22 min. to compress and burn
    Quote Quote