VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. With Studio 8 I took an AVI.film from a videotape of my JVC Digital videocam. This fil is 11 Gigabyte. I want to store it on DVD's of 4.7 Gb
    I tried to doe this with with Nero Back it up but I waisted 6 dvd's and the result was 0,0%. Yet I want to keep my original AVI-files on DVD and make seperate DVD movies with Studio 8.
    Does anyone know how I can backup my original AVI file of 11Gig?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    use virtualdub mod and split it into 2 gig chunks and burn them to dvd
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's easy with Virtual Dub. Just load the AVI, then "save segmented". You can specify the size of the segments. I do it all the time, except I am backing them up on CD.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  4. I followed the advise and downloaded VirtualDubMod but when I load my avi-file in VirtualDubMod I get the following message:

" Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'dvsd' (unknown).VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to
    decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct stream copy' is available for this
    video. "

What should I do now?

By the way, Tonyn thanks everyone for his/her advise!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you will need to install a vfw dv codec -- the panasonic one is free (in the tools section) or you can purchase the main concept one.
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Isn't "Direct Stream" what he wants? When I do this, I don't want to recompress it or run filters on it, I just want to split it and save it. Direct Stream does just that.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi Daryl

you are absolutely right
    I only want to split my avi file
    can you tell me were I can find this tool
    I tried to find it in the tool-list on www.videohelp.com but the list was empty
    meanwhile THANKS for your reaction
    Tonyn
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi BJ-M

thanks for your advise
    After installing the codec Virtual dub worked.
    However it slpits in even bigger files than the one I had.
    I think I did something wrong..........!!!!!
    Tonyn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dalemans
    it slpits in even bigger files than the one I had.
    I think I did something wrong..........!!!!!
    What dphirschler was saying (sort of) was that you need to set the audio and video to "direct stream copy" in order to save it in the original format. If you don't then Vdub will save it as a large uncompressed file.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yep -- see above ... zippy is right.....

you were doing a conversion to uncompressed otherwise
    Quote Quote  
  11. Here is another option ...

http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/

I find this quite nifty because it makes an exe that will join the parts back together for you. I find this 'dummy proof' for distributing some large avi's.

With the VDub method, you need a program with 'direct stream copy' (like vdub) to join them back. And probably a dv codec too. A plus of the VDub method is the files would be independant avi s. So if you had a bad disc problem, you would have no trouble with the 'good' disc.

WinRar is yet another way to split files. Just store no compression. But then you need WinRar to get em back.
    Quote Quote  
  12. the filesplitter works brilliant
    thanks a lot!!!!!
    Quote Quote